Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you see prepping developing?
6 September 2013, 13:53,
How do you see prepping developing?
Okay, this could get heated, so instead of criticising anyone else's ideas, please let's be civil about this.

I have been speaking to various people about Plan A, B, C and D. I have been speaking about Comms (extensively....sorry LS, but thanks for the help...more Q's on their way later). I have been speaking about homesteading to others. Fitness to various people. Speaking about crops and such as well. Teams, solo, bugging in, out, both, caches, and loads more!!!

We have many people with many various views on prepping. Some people have agendas, or may seem to have them (like my desire to help people with their fitness more, as an example).

But, the question is, where would you like to see prepping in the UK? How would you like it to develop, and how can/will you help it move in that direction?

I'll answer this as well, but after a few other people do, because it just looks weird answering your own question straight away.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 September 2013, 14:04,
RE: How do you see prepping developing?
TBH I don't see prepping going mainstream like in the US, we will always get a few people who have woken up to the fact that something is happening and will happen, but most of the population will just carry on in their own fog of ignorance and indolence.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 September 2013, 14:39,
Time for my answer.

Personally, I see those coming to prepping as being more educated and aware. These people are going to be much keener on working in teams.

As a result, I see team-work developing hugely, on this site at least. The South-West is developing and people are putting their preps together and rigging up pretty much the same styles of gear. After the next Dartmoor event anyone will be able to pick up a UV-5r or UV-3r and set it up, change batteries, sort CTCSS codes, store codes, and the alike. Many of us are going down the same route in regard to our cook-sets. Meaning transferable gas canisters or burners.

We're not a coherent team, but we are a group and we have fun together (most importantly).

When it comes to going clay pigeon shooting together, that'll be a MASSIVE development for the whole team.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 September 2013, 15:22,
oh god, save me from "jolly little teams"!!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 September 2013, 15:52,
I wouldn't want to see it turned into a fashionable/fad that's "cool" to do.....in a "glamping " bullshit way...I don't want every knobhead in the village doing it to bragg on FB, as they are too thick to understand the big picture about the government...and other Evils ! the sheeple are too stupid .....if they wake up to "reality" it wont be 100%....they like their "material" designer label shit....they would probs store extra sky remotes, mobile phone batts, new nike white trainers, and fill the freezer with microwave meals. I want the scene to stay underground and not mainstream....that's no more uk preppers programmes too !
6 September 2013, 16:12,
if people think theirs money to be made prepping will change for the worst, its already a camping club for middle aged tubbies guys, just look at the vids from the bushcraft show 2013 .
instead of football or darts blokes are prepping telling everyone all about it showing off their big knives its has turned into a hobby .
Survive the jive (youtube )
6 September 2013, 16:50,
I don't care either way. I do what I do, everyone else can do whatever they want Big Grin
6 September 2013, 16:51,
(6 September 2013, 16:50)BeardyMan Wrote: I don't care either way. I do what I do, everyone else can do whatever they want Big Grin

or, in the case of the sheeple, nothing at all!
6 September 2013, 17:17,
Honestly, I don't think prepping is "mainstream" here in the US, at least not in the big cities. Folks in the country have always had gardens, raised chickens, and canned produce. In the big cities, people merely take their debit cards, credit cards or government-issued "food stamp" card down to the corner store. When the banks shut down, the ATMs don't work, the government no longer refills the "food-stamp" cards, and/or the local grocery store's "just-in-time" delivery fails, all hell will break loose. It's hard to store food in a small urban apartment, just for lack of room if no other reason, so people in the cities will be in a world of hurt. I also doubt if folks in rural America will be thrilled to see the hoards of hungry refugees fleeing from the big cities.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
6 September 2013, 17:24,
(6 September 2013, 16:50)BeardyMan Wrote: I don't care either way. I do what I do, everyone else can do whatever they want Big Grin

Thats just the way I feel too,.. it doesn't matter to me.

...we talk about `sheeple` as if they are a separate breed, yet most of us were one at one point in our lives,..so if a village of 20 guys decide to become prepers because its the `in thing`,... how do we know that those 20 guys dont become `real` preppers

It would be normal to see increased numbers of prepers as the world/country situation worsens anyway

Of course the other way to look at it is that most fads are short lived.

Serious preppers keep what they do to themselves or within their groups, while all around us other play at prepping, no-one will ever know just how many serious preppers are out there until such time as something happens

The only thing we will have to watch out for is that if we get an increase of wanabe preppers that the government doesn't think along the same lines as the US
A major part of survival is invisibility.