Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs
9 September 2013, 10:23,
RE: Dogs
Just the presence of a big dog, especially a guard breed, will make people think twice about targeting you. Some breeds are better than others, your average mongrel might bark a bit but it isn't going to die in your defence.

Personally I'm big fan of Dobermans, they are bred to protect you and they will. They also have a great nose and will find your downed deer or boar for you.

The downside to the Dobie is the short coat, a German Shepherd is much more comfortable in cold weather and arguably more effective as a visual deterrent in the UK, all that fur makes them look big and Joe Scrote might have met a police dog before.

The Dobie was the first choice dog for Marines fighting the Japanese, able to detect the enemy up to half a mile away and very good at flushing them out of caves. Not one dog patrol was ambushed by the Japanese, and one exceptional Dobie was awarded a medal for flushing 14 enemy soldiers from an underground tunnel, one at a time, going back each time for another one.

Some info here:

http://www.vet.utk.edu/wardog/background.shtml
9 September 2013, 20:29,
This is my dogs reacting to sound when I am camping out,... they hear everything and are focused on that until its gone

I have always been a fan of the German Shepherd dog, a very loyal dogs, and big enough to stand their ground

[Image: allonlookout.jpg]

fearless and sure footed

[Image: _9040247.jpg]

... but softies too...lol

[Image: _5170205_zpsd660c1d0.jpg]
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 September 2013, 00:44,
They're fine looking beasties HL. A wee bit cool out in that top photo too - a bit of a dusting of snow on the hills?

10 September 2013, 08:06,
(10 September 2013, 00:44)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: They're fine looking beasties HL. A wee bit cool out in that top photo too - a bit of a dusting of snow on the hills?

lol,... I woke up to find snow on the tarp next morning to,... never worried too much about winter camping
A major part of survival is invisibility.