Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
morse
2 February 2012, 13:47,
morse
hello can any one tell me whats the best way to learn morse code books DVD thankyou
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
2 February 2012, 14:14,
RE: morse
Article on main site about this.

Interestingly enough it is still one of the highest for hits via search engines. People love their morse.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 February 2012, 16:25,
Morse code is a great system it can also be used by flag waving. Semaphore too is a good flag waving system. Of course, only over short distances. Still useful for communication. Kenneth Eames.
3 February 2012, 08:28,
Hi Barneyboy,

This link is for a freeware download of G4FON's excellent training software. http://www.g4fon.net/CW%20Trainer.htm

Learning the code is not as easy as people would perhaps have you believe. But with determintion most people can master it to an acceptable level. (and for survivor usage, just achieving communications is enough!) Speed increases over time. You are also likely to find that unlike spoken languages, you will be able to code letters more rapidly than you can hear them at first. This is normal.

Good luck

--. --- --- -.. .-.. ..- -.-. -.-
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

14 June 2016, 07:20,
Have you thought of learning the spoken morse code maybe first as the quicker morse is really hard to miss.
I think it is still done in some African places not so much in Europe, my late grandmother said it was best to learn first, she was an expert in communications when she was younger and working.
14 June 2016, 09:42,
Morse code is still used world wide including UK by radio amateurs, merchant shipping and military.

Coming back to BB's OP: Download a copy of the Code and learn the letters one by one, speaking or tapping out their sounds.

If you intend to use Morse code for transmission by radio, it will be useful to purchase a Morse code Key (Tapper) and a low voltage tone generator who's loudspeaker feed is interrupted by the Morse Key.

The above setup will allow you to learn the sound pattern of each letter , and to keep on repeating until you know them parrot-fashion. For example DAH-DIT-DAH-DAH = the letter Y

The harder part of the learning is the hearing part. It takes a lot longer to be able to hear the coded letters and to translate them back into a normal alphabetical stream. The good news is that there are now inexpensive electronic code readers and free of charge Apps for smartphones available that are capable of translating fairly high speed Morse. (Let me know if you need links)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

14 June 2016, 11:44,
In my experience learning Morse was easy but receiving Morse took time. For me it was like learning to touch/copy type... I just couldn't do it... then all of a sudden a switch flicked on in my head and I was making sense of what I heard.

Keep at it, CW/Morse is my favourite method of radio comms.
ATB
Harry
14 June 2016, 20:49,
(14 June 2016, 09:42)Lightspeed Wrote: Morse code is still used world wide including UK by radio amateurs, merchant shipping and military.

Coming back to BB's OP: Download a copy of the Code and learn the letters one by one, speaking or tapping out their sounds.

If you intend to use Morse code for transmission by radio, it will be useful to purchase a Morse code Key (Tapper) and a low voltage tone generator who's loudspeaker feed is interrupted by the Morse Key.

The above setup will allow you to learn the sound pattern of each letter , and to keep on repeating until you know them parrot-fashion. For example DAH-DIT-DAH-DAH = the letter Y

The harder part of the learning is the hearing part. It takes a lot longer to be able to hear the coded letters and to translate them back into a normal alphabetical stream. The good news is that there are now inexpensive electronic code readers and free of charge Apps for smartphones available that are capable of translating fairly high speed Morse. (Let me know if you need links)

I have it on my tablet and i know there is practice on you tube, i was considering learning it while i sleep a method i do like as it takes no effort that is just listen or let it run while you sleep i need sonme headphones i think so as i do not keep the house up.
14 June 2016, 20:51,
(14 June 2016, 11:44)harrypalmer Wrote: In my experience learning Morse was easy but receiving Morse took time. For me it was like learning to touch/copy type... I just couldn't do it... then all of a sudden a switch flicked on in my head and I was making sense of what I heard.

Keep at it, CW/Morse is my favourite method of radio comms.

how long did it take, i have heard 8 weeks and some say 5 months, i think i may set up a rig with a peg to practice, or make a strong one not a transmitter just a practice set
15 June 2016, 06:17,
I have it on my tablet and i know there is practice on you tube, i was considering learning it while i sleep a method i do like as it takes no effort that is just listen or let it run while you sleep i need sonme headphones i think so as i do not keep the house up.
[/quote]

I never have had much success with the learning of material from tapes/CD/MP3 while sleeping method. But each to his own.

An old school ham gave ne the good advice that once the code was basically memorised good practice could be had when driving by translating car number plates that were seen into the code. It worked for me.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580