Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underestimate at your own risk.
10 September 2013, 12:39, (This post was last modified: 10 September 2013, 12:39 by Gizmo.)
RE: Underestimate at your own risk.
Totally agree with you Scythe

Another example would be the type of person who has been successful in business. In a lot of cases they got where they are by using their inteligence and by being ruthless enough to climb over other people to get to their position. These people are often slagged off on prepping sites for going on foreign holidays instead of buying tins of Spam but if things do go tits up then a lot of them will apply the same inteligence, ruthlesness, organisational and leadership skills to their own survival. Further down the line these are the people who will be organising their own little fiefdoms

Anyone with a passing knowledge of history will know that it is littered with the corpses of people and nations that overestimated their own abilities and underestimated their enemies. You would have thought that as preppers we wouldn't be doing the same.

Totally agree with you Scythe

Another example would be the type of person who has been successful in business. In a lot of cases they got where they are by using their inteligence and by being ruthless enough to climb over other people to get to their position. These people are often slagged off on prepping sites for going on foreign holidays instead of buying tins of Spam but if things do go tits up then a lot of them will apply the same inteligence, ruthlesness, organisational and leadership skills to their own survival. Further down the line these are the people who will be organising their own little fiefdoms

Anyone with a passing knowledge of history will know that it is littered with the corpses of people and nations that overestimated their own abilities and underestimated their enemies. You would have thought that as preppers we wouldn't be doing the same.
10 September 2013, 12:54,
I envision somebody based approx in the wrexham-ruthin-mold geographic triangle.Free from the vagaries of this new-model sheeple proposed by s13.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
10 September 2013, 13:08,
Gizmo,

I'm not sure I agree with you. Maybe those that trive in the drug business but business owners tend to rely on their power and money to bully their way though. When they vanish all in one go they may have little to use as leverage. The older ones may have to remember their early roots but those guys are long gone. destroyed by legislation and family money.

However, I agree don't write them off. Many of those are prepping now. Farm houses, estates, yachts, bunkers. Many will do OK.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 September 2013, 15:58,
The overall principle, underestimate and there's a good chance you'll become victim.

Bodybuilders know fitness, injury prevention, stretching/flexibility, nutrition, supplementation, and a lot of medication. Those basic skills are more than most cavemen understood, yet they survived. Many bodybuilders can also fight pretty well too.
Instead of focusing on specifics, look at the big picture, there are no-sheeple. I made a list as an example. A rugby player can't climb a tree, blar blar. The specifics are not in question. The issue is that we are dealing with PEOPLE. In a study at some university (can't remember which) they asked them student to rank themselves. Over 90% said they were in the top half of the class for intelligence. As people we HUGELY over estimate ourselves and underestimate everyone else. If you've thought of something new, odds are someone else has had the idea already.

Prep as if you were in the latter 50% of humans in regard to your preps. Always overestimate them and underestimate yourself.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 September 2013, 16:13,
There's a very old joke about a big man and a small man in a saloon. I won't bother you with all the details, just the punchline...

The big man grabs a stool, raises it over his head and yelled "BARSTOOL!"
The little guy pulls out his pistol and says "gun"! {{{BANG!}}}
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
10 September 2013, 17:02,
(10 September 2013, 12:39)Gizmo Wrote: Another example would be the type of person who has been successful in business. In a lot of cases they got where they are by using their inteligence and by being ruthless enough to climb over other people to get to their position.

oh come on, I have worked in a business environment for most of my working life, most of these people got where they are by being ruthless, by who they know rather than what they know, that's fine-to succeed in business by force of personality, by being a right barsteward(I've known a few like that) but to survive a TEOTWAWKI event? no way, these people exist on eating out, Business meals, and microwave meals when they are at home and sunday lunch at the golf club, their drinks cabinet will be full, might even have a wine cellar but enough food put by to survive the holocaust?? no. no.no. they wont have enough of the right clothing and footwear(polished hand made broughes don't you know old boy?) to last the first cold winter, and when the power goes off? they'll freeze cos they've got no alternative heating....they wont have camping stoves or portable gas heaters or even any water containers...Angry
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 September 2013, 17:38,
(10 September 2013, 17:02)bigpaul Wrote:
(10 September 2013, 12:39)Gizmo Wrote: Another example would be the type of person who has been successful in business. In a lot of cases they got where they are by using their inteligence and by being ruthless enough to climb over other people to get to their position.

oh come on, I have worked in a business environment for most of my working life, most of these people got where they are by being ruthless, by who they know rather than what they know, that's fine-to succeed in business by force of personality, by being a right barsteward(I've known a few like that) but to survive a TEOTWAWKI event? no way, these people exist on eating out, Business meals, and microwave meals when they are at home and sunday lunch at the golf club, their drinks cabinet will be full, might even have a wine cellar but enough food put by to survive the holocaust?? no. no.no. they wont have enough of the right clothing and footwear(polished hand made broughes don't you know old boy?) to last the first cold winter, and when the power goes off? they'll freeze cos they've got no alternative heating....they wont have camping stoves or portable gas heaters or even any water containers...Angry

This is true, but that fancy TV they have and all that fine booze will make for some decent barter material (even though it's useless) so don't count them out too soon...
Just cause they've done well for themselves doesn't mean they weren't toe-rags previously
10 September 2013, 17:52,
(10 September 2013, 17:38)BeardyMan Wrote:
(10 September 2013, 17:02)bigpaul Wrote:

This is true, but that fancy TV they have and all that fine booze will make for some decent barter material (even though it's useless) so don't count them out too soon...
Just cause they've done well for themselves doesn't mean they weren't toe-rags previously

95% of the MD's I ever worked for were toe rags, my best boss was a Lord !!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 September 2013, 17:52,
Hate to say it old sport, but many shooters are rich people. Same as skiers. Which leads me to believe they'll have clothing, and guns.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 September 2013, 17:56,
(10 September 2013, 17:52)Scythe13 Wrote: Hate to say it old sport, but many shooters are rich people. Same as skiers. Which leads me to believe they'll have clothing, and guns.

not necessarily, a lot go "corporate" shooting and the guns are borrowed, but I see what you mean....maybe just a small %!