Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your Most Likely Scenario
15 September 2013, 11:40,
RE: Your Most Likely Scenario
I'm replacing windows and doors peicemeal at the moment as my house was only part double glazed when i bought it ...am spec ing the best security as i think the least weak points the better....a few hundred quid for the top level of security is money well spent imho
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
15 September 2013, 13:41,
Minnitemo

Please describe your purchseds. The rest of us might find it useful.

TVM
15 September 2013, 14:44,
(15 September 2013, 13:41)River Song Wrote: Minnitemo

Please describe your purchseds. The rest of us might find it useful.

TVM

have specced 6.4 mm laminated security glass ,reinforced frames with extra bolts incorparated , bought 2 windows and 2 doors was an extra £400 above standard , it won't stop a concerted attack but it will give you longer to gather yourself and prepare to meet the invaders.
15 September 2013, 14:46,
what about WELDMESH over the windows?? its what they used on building sites I worked on over the site office and stores windows.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 September 2013, 15:09,
(15 September 2013, 14:46)bigpaul Wrote: what about WELDMESH over the windows?? its what they used on building sites I worked on over the site office and stores windows.

I personally would like to go further with the security but the family don't want to feel like they live in a prison and i think the upgrade is an unobtrusive improvement...may want to move one day and it might put buyers off lol
15 September 2013, 15:10,
(15 September 2013, 15:09)Midnitemo Wrote:
(15 September 2013, 14:46)bigpaul Wrote: what about WELDMESH over the windows?? its what they used on building sites I worked on over the site office and stores windows.

I personally would like to go further with the security but the family don't want to feel like they live in a prison and i think the upgrade is an unobtrusive improvement...may want to move one day and it might put buyers off lol

could just keep it in a shed or garage until TSHTF??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 September 2013, 15:20, (This post was last modified: 15 September 2013, 15:23 by Midnitemo.)
(15 September 2013, 15:10)bigpaul Wrote:
(15 September 2013, 15:09)Midnitemo Wrote:

could just keep it in a shed or garage until TSHTF??

i'd be concerned with drawing attention to much if it looks heavily secured people will get curious about whats inside.

i'd like window shutters on the inside but...been vetoed on that one and if i put them on the outside it would look out of sync with the rest of the street.
15 September 2013, 15:29,
if you keep it in a garage or shed NOBODY is going to see it. lots of people are keeping plywood and other sheet materials for when TSHTF in their garages or sheds, the idea is to get it before TSHTF and the prices go up.
15 September 2013, 17:18,
A pretty good solution.

An alternative, cheaper alternative, is to consider film.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/...indowFilm/

I checked this out and it doesn't look like your home is like Fort Knox, pretty regular really. But if you try to smash the windows from outside, although they may crack the windows, they can't get through. They use these as professional security windows.

I costed this out for my 4 bedroom detached house at around £380 fitted. If you've got the money and can persuade the OH, then this would be the way to go.

Allons-y
15 September 2013, 21:42,
Looking over the thread, it's interesting to note how many of us believe that the Gulf Stream and our financial instability are major concerns.

Am I really the only one who considers the Yellowstone caldera a major threat?
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!