Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your Most Likely Scenario
15 September 2013, 22:16,
RE: Your Most Likely Scenario
[quote='Nix' pid='70807' dateline='1379277729'

Am I really the only one who considers the Yellowstone caldera a major threat?
[/quote]

probably
16 September 2013, 12:17,
(15 September 2013, 17:18)River Song Wrote: A pretty good solution.

An alternative, cheaper alternative, is to consider film.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/...indowFilm/

I checked this out and it doesn't look like your home is like Fort Knox, pretty regular really. But if you try to smash the windows from outside, although they may crack the windows, they can't get through. They use these as professional security windows.

I costed this out for my 4 bedroom detached house at around £380 fitted. If you've got the money and can persuade the OH, then this would be the way to go.

Is that £380 for the upper floors aswell?...if not then you could reduce the costs further and just do groundloor and upper accessible windows ie above porches lean too's etc
Allons-y
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
16 September 2013, 15:44,
If Yellowstone goes off... Well, I don't think it'll matter how good our preps are, a super volcano is an extinction level event, I don't know if we'd die out but spiders, rats, cockroaches, they'll survive.
Positively Pessimistic
16 September 2013, 17:05,
(15 September 2013, 21:42)Nix Wrote: Looking over the thread, it's interesting to note how many of us believe that the Gulf Stream and our financial instability are major concerns.

Am I really the only one who considers the Yellowstone caldera a major threat?
Probably. We'll hereby pronounce you the official SUK Yellowstone Caldera worrier! No use for the rest of us bothering about what is totally uncontrollable. We prep for what we can deal with, not for ALL possibilities. Aliens from the planet Ork attacking, the sun exploding, Mutant Zombies taking over London and Washington at the same time? Not so much, (but you can worry about those too and I'll scratch them off my list as well)! Big Grin
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
16 September 2013, 21:40,
Yellowstone is an interesting one. It's a situation that would be so catastrophic, it would likely cause a major oxygen deficiency, due to the reduction of light and therefore photosynthesis.

Even though we only use 20% (it might be 12%, but I can't remember. Pretty sure it's 20% though) of the oxygen we breath in, I'm not sure would could cope with an 80% reduction in free oxygen in the air.

It's a situation that I would be fascinated to know how to prepare for. If you have the time Nix, write up a post about the effects and how we could best prep for them. I know a pyroclastic surge would cause instant death (think Pompeii) but we are far enough away to not be damaged by that.

Genuinely, I'd love to see the effects it would have. So, if you have time to search for links and models of the effects, please do post them up.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 September 2013, 23:35,
Wyoming is closer to the east coast than it is to the west,.. the primary weather patterns are west to east, so if Yellowstone went up, then a lot of the central to western areas of the US would be devastated

This link gives what the `experts` think would happen if the area blew,.. how you would prepare for that I dont know, 6-10 years before its back to normality is a long time

I doubt you could grow outside, not because of ash, but because of the lack of decent daylight, if the power stayed on [ and I dont see why it wouldn't here ],...then its possible you could grow inside under artificial light,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programm...cle2.shtml
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 September 2013, 08:29,
I'll see if I can get some links together.

Saw a documentary some time ago about the Yellowstone caldera. These super volcanoes are fortunately rare but when they blow, you know about it! Basically, Yellowstone is overdue. It has been proven that this caldera blows at regular intervals and affects the world mainly with the tons of ash in Earth's atmosphere blocking out the sun etc. NOT total wipe out but certainly nuclear winter scenario where it could take years to recover. The planet does survive this, it has done before, not sure about aliens from planet Ork though! [Image: roflmao.gif]

Normal volcanoes explode, lava flows out, things eventually peter out and you have a slightly bigger mountain. Caldera lava consists of pressurised gas that is unable to escape. When these babies blow, they do it all at once, similar to a can of Coke that you open after someone kindly shakes it for you.

The threat is real. They reckon that when Yellowstone does go, the bang will be the loudest sound ever heard.

So, Jonas, mutant Zombies is the least of my worries. Tongue
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
17 September 2013, 10:22, (This post was last modified: 17 September 2013, 11:12 by Nix.)
This is very close to the documentary I saw about 20 years ago.

Also a BBC report here.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
17 September 2013, 17:01,
(17 September 2013, 10:22)Nix Wrote: This is very close to the documentary I saw about 20 years ago.

Also a BBC report here.

Interesting program,... not that we could ever prep for it, unless we could grow food under artificial light
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 September 2013, 12:00,
I think we should put together a list of everything and then prepare mitigation where possible. I've kind of done that on the main site but left many things out because a) They are not survivable. b) They can be mitigated by a sub set of something else or c) I never thought of them.

So let me start with the obvious ones
1) Sociatal collapse
2) Financial collapse
3) EMP attack
4) Biological attck
5) Chemical Attack

6) Global Cooling

7) Global Warming

8) Floods

9) Govermental Takeover

10) Yellowstone

11) Arizona Bay
12) Supernova
13) Asteroid strikes
14) Convential War
15) Super Flu
16) Population explosion
17) Nuclear War
18) .....

I'll make a big list and we can mitigate them. Put everything down and it should make an interesting discussion
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin