Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
assume or not to assume?
17 September 2013, 12:54,
RE: assume or not to assume?
(17 September 2013, 12:46)bigpaul Wrote:
(17 September 2013, 12:41)Scythe13 Wrote: That may well be true mate, but I'm still placing myself in the bottom 50% of the population for ability, in my mind. If I find it out to be otherwise, then my odds of survival are much better. If I mentally place myself in the bottom 50%, it forces me to keep my game at the top of what I can, but also focuses me on pushing through my limits and striving for improvement.
don't sell yourself short, you have youth and fitness on your side which is a plus, whearas I have a lifetimes experience of people!

If I underestimate myself, I have more chance of overestimating them, which is the mindset I want. It keeps my senses up and working, while also motivating me to work harder.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 September 2013, 13:04,
i'm more the other way, I don't overestimate people cos I know what their capable of. I have been around a long time and I have seen what different people are capable of. that is one reason I live in a place with a small population, if I could move to a place where we had a population of 2 I would be a happy bunny!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 September 2013, 13:36, (This post was last modified: 17 September 2013, 13:41 by Midnitemo.)
Paul if you've come to the conclusion that your chosen location is a good spot because x y and z other people will make the same calculations at some point , just hoping that distance and wild country between you and the interlopers may not be enough...man as a creature is quite extraordinary...right enough a fair proportion will fall by the wayside but the few that make it to your little oasis will be the cream of the crop.

Don't get me wrong i'm very envious of your position but i think you may be to reliant on the location protecting you...i personally think everyone is going to have to fight for themselves or others against marauders at some point...wherever you are!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
17 September 2013, 13:44,
(17 September 2013, 13:36)Midnitemo Wrote: Paul if you've come to the conclusion that your chosen location is a good spot because x y and z other people will make the same calculations at some point , just hoping that distance and wild country between you and the interlopers may not be enough...man as a creature is quite extraordinary...right enough a fair proportion will fall by the wayside but the few that make it to your little oasis will be the cream of the crop.

Yes I agree with this comment.
No where is 100% guaranteed safe and we are not guaranteed safe for sure is sure at some point others will come calling.
We can only do each we feel is best for our own circumstances.
But please do not get into denial over this, at least have plans just in case.
17 September 2013, 13:48, (This post was last modified: 17 September 2013, 13:50 by bigpaul.)
(17 September 2013, 13:36)Midnitemo Wrote: Paul if you've come to the conclusion that your chosen location is a good spot because x y and z other people will make the same calculations at some point , just hoping that distance and wild country between you and the interlopers may not be enough...man as a creature is quite extraordinary...right enough a fair proportion will fall by the wayside but the few that make it to your little oasis will be the cream of the crop.

TBH I don't know why anyone would want to come here post shtf, the 1 or 2 very small shops in town would be empty long before anyone got here, the 2 pump petrol station ditto. sure there are farms and farm animals but most would be under lock and key and shotgun patrols!like I said before there is VERY wild country between me and the only 2 cities in Devon. most city people wouldnt even know where to find this place on a map, its the sort of place people PASS THROUGH on the way to somewhere else.we picked it because its so quiet and (to most people) out of the way.

(17 September 2013, 13:44)John Wrote:

Yes I agree with this comment.
No where is 100% guaranteed safe and we are not guaranteed safe for sure is sure at some point others will come calling.
We can only do each we feel is best for our own circumstances.
But please do not get into denial over this, at least have plans just in case.

John, you know me well enough to know I ALWAYS have a plan(several in fact), no one is in denial-least of all me.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 September 2013, 13:52, (This post was last modified: 17 September 2013, 13:57 by Midnitemo.)
The threat may come from within your community...as you've said before you keep yourself to yourself so you may be viewed as an outsider to the local group/gang/community.

then the wild country and distance stops being a positive and becomes a negative if your forced to bug out into it.

for me its not about picking on people its about stimulating thought and debate...we may have missed something and i fnid its always worth somebody casting an objective eye over your toils.

my ideas and plans are constantly in a state of flux cos of all the good idea's people bring to the forum.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
17 September 2013, 14:00, (This post was last modified: 17 September 2013, 14:04 by bigpaul.)
(17 September 2013, 13:52)Midnitemo Wrote: The threat may come from within your community...as you've said before you keep yourself to yourself so you may be viewed as an outsider to the local group/gang/community.

then the wild country and distance stops being a positive and becomes a negative if your forced to bug out into it.

we have been here long enough to be "part of the furniture" now, wife has lived in this area for a considerable part of her life and could be called a "local". my family is from North Devon-for many generations. I know most people on this estate, most of them are ok if a bit "straight"", the one or two who might "kick off" are well known and plans already drawn up. however if things did go "pear shaped" and staying is not an option I have SEVERAL BOL's already located and scouted just in case.

oh yes, and people here KNOW to "step lightly" around me !Big Grin
17 September 2013, 14:29,
(17 September 2013, 14:00)bigpaul Wrote:
(17 September 2013, 13:52)Midnitemo Wrote: The threat may come from within your community...as you've said before you keep yourself to yourself so you may be viewed as an outsider to the local group/gang/community.

we have been here long enough to be "part of the furniture" now, wife has lived in this area for a considerable part of her life and could be called a "local". my family is from North Devon-for many generations. I know most people on this estate, most of them are ok if a bit "straight"", the one or two who might "kick off" are well known and plans already drawn up. however if things did go "pear shaped" and staying is not an option I have SEVERAL BOL's already located and scouted just in case.

Yes and furniture becomes old and worn out. To go back to the Lone Wolf and wolf packs. The leaders are always challenged at some point and at some point, as the get older they get replaced.
They loose.
Not saying they get chased and killed but they then die off because they are no longer part of the pack. I just hope your BOL's are not already occupied when you want them.

Nothing is cast in stone.

But as previous, I'll leave you to have the last say.
17 September 2013, 14:35, (This post was last modified: 17 September 2013, 15:39 by Skean Dhude.)
(17 September 2013, 14:29)John Wrote:
(17 September 2013, 14:00)bigpaul Wrote:

Yes and furniture becomes old and worn out. To go back to the Lone Wolf and wolf packs. The leaders are always challenged at some point and at some point, as the get older they get replaced.
They loose.
Not saying they get chased and killed but they then die off because they are no longer part of the pack. I just hope your BOL's are not already occupied when you want them.

Nothing is cast in stone.

But as previous, I'll leave you to have the last say.

Deleted by Admin due to personal attack. We do not tolerate personal attacks on other people..
my BOLs are well chosen, all have long been abandoned and are in remote locations. but you will never know where they are as there are SOME people I will NEVER tell my plans to.