Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And if the disaster is an Electromagnetic Pulse?
17 September 2013, 05:50,
And if the disaster is an Electromagnetic Pulse?
Worried about a nuclear disaster? Get a warning sent to your mobile:
Government starts trial of text messaging system for major emergencies
New plan designed to alert people to emergencies more quickly
50,000 will receive test message in the next two months
Testing grounds include central Glasgow, Leiston, Suffolk and Easingwold, North Yorkshire
By JACK DOYLE, HOME AFFAIRS CORRESPONDENT
PUBLISHED: 17 September 2013
Daily Mail

If your neighbourhood is at risk from nuclear disaster or terrorist attack and you’re afraid you’ll be the last to know, relax.
The Government plans to warn you about major emergencies via a text message to your mobile phone.
A new alert system will steer people away from danger and tell them where to get help. It could be used to send information and warnings about a flu pandemic, flood, chemical leak, fire or a catastrophe involving a plane or train.

The first test of the technology will be carried out tomorrow in the market town of Easingwold in North Yorkshire, and at two other locations, Glasgow city centre and the Suffolk town of Leiston, over the next two months.
If successful the system – which has been drawn up by the National Security Council – will be extended to cover the whole country.
A spokesman for the NSC said it would be used in any situation where ‘we judge that by sending an alert we could prevent loss of life or damage to property’.

The Cabinet Office will use mobile phone companies to send an authorised message to all mobile phone users in a given area. Three companies, EE, Vodafone and O2, will take part in the tests.
Anyone in Easingwold tomorrow will receive four test texts that will direct them to a government website where they will be asked for feedback. It will be clearly marked as a test and point out that ‘no action is required’.
A second test will take place in Glasgow on October 3 and in Leiston on November 20. In all some 50,000 people are expected to receive a text message over the three days.

Similar systems exist in the Netherlands and the US.
Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude said the tests would ‘look at how different technologies work and how the public react when they receive an emergency alert’.
He added: ‘I want to reassure the public that these tests are not linked to any threat or specific hazard in their area.
'We have included diverse areas – both rural and urban – as part of our tests, as we want to look at how effective the different systems are in different areas in using mobile phones to deliver mass messaging.

'The message itself will make clear that it is only a test and I do not want the public to be alarmed in any way.
'We are also looking for help from the public in evaluating how well the tests worked and how they felt about receiving messages in this way and we would welcome the public's views which they can provide via an online survey or a series of focus groups.
'Ensuring that local areas receive quick accurate information in the event of an emergency is crucial to an effective response and the information that we receive from these tests will help us develop systems that local emergency responders will be able to use in the future.'
Two techniques are being tested. One will see a message sent to all mobile phone masts in the area under threat. These would then pass on the message to anyone whose phone was within the mast’s range.
The other method will involve mobile phone companies drawing up a database of mobiles likely to be found in an area, and a message sent to all these phone numbers.
Officials sought to play down any civil liberty fears by insisting the Government will not have access to the databases, which are run by mobile phone operators.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ncies.html
17 September 2013, 07:37,
RE: And if the disaster is an Electromagnetic Pulse?
Fascinating that Leiston in Suffolk, in my region, is the home of Sizewell Nuclear Power station !!
17 September 2013, 08:57,
That's a very good idea, but I fear it's also a way to gather information about possible preppers and their locations.

Very interesting though that the gov are getting this kind of warning system in place.

Seems a bit odd if you ask me.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 September 2013, 09:02, (This post was last modified: 17 September 2013, 09:04 by Lightspeed.)
Surprising that this has not been put in place sooner.

The Good: It will alert a large percentage of at risk populations of the specific dangers in their area, giving on what to do, It can lead people out of danger. As preppers, This is a good resource for preppers, receiving such aletrs will alert us to what TPTB want us to know, and also let us know thatthe general population in our area are alerted too. Probably knowing that the local population is alerted, and knowing what they have been told to do will help our own decision making.

The Bad: Even more reliance on mobile phone technology. Supports delivery of controled information / propoganda. Allows the mobilisation and herding of large populations.

Surprising that this has not been put in place sooner.

The Good: It will alert a large percentage of at risk populations of the specific dangers in their area, giving on what to do, It can lead people out of danger. As preppers, This is a good resource for preppers, receiving such aletrs will alert us to what TPTB want us to know, and also let us know thatthe general population in our area are alerted too. Probably knowing that the local population is alerted, and knowing what they have been told to do will help our own decision making.

The Bad: Even more reliance on mobile phone technology. Supports delivery of controled information / propoganda. Allows the mobilisation and herding of large populations.

(17 September 2013, 08:57)Scythe13 Wrote: ........ but I fear it's also a way to gather information about possible preppers and their locations.

How so S13?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

17 September 2013, 09:13,
(17 September 2013, 09:02)Lightspeed Wrote:
(17 September 2013, 08:57)Scythe13 Wrote: ........ but I fear it's also a way to gather information about possible preppers and their locations.
How so S13?

Nearly all digital devices have 'trackable' parts, we all know that. The worrying thing is that mobile phones are EASILY triangulated by their signal. When you go home, do you have your mobile phone with you? Okay, so that's the location of your home sorted.

But what about if this system becomes an opt-in or opt-out thing? It's possible.

What about if you stay in place? Will people come and remove you from your home? More importantly, and more interesting for the government, why would you stay home? Maybe you have things you need to protect? Maybe you're hiding something?

For me, it makes sense for the government to employ, but also the paranoid part of me says it could be used against us very easily. Haha, I just realised how crazy I sound.
17 September 2013, 09:19,
don't think I want to give the govt any more access to personal info than they've already got.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 September 2013, 09:49,
(17 September 2013, 09:13)Scythe13 Wrote:
(17 September 2013, 09:02)Lightspeed Wrote:
How so S13?

Nearly all digital devices have 'trackable' parts, we all know that. The worrying thing is that mobile phones are EASILY triangulated by their signal. When you go home, do you have your mobile phone with you? Okay, so that's the location of your home sorted.

OK gotcha.

How do TPTB connect me being a prepper to my mobile number though? First I have to be identified as a prepper, in whch case I already have a problem.

As SD has already explained elsewhere, the biggest possibility of corelating mobile phone numbers to preppers is by hackingthe mobile phone records of preppers they do know about and harvesting contact histories. This is rather far fetched, and would only happen if a persoin;s activities triggered anti terrorist interest.

Personally, and to be on the safe side, no other preppers have my main mobile telephone number.

So, regaring your worry: You receive a message on your phone. Once you've read it, turn off the phone and remove the Sim..... you have now dropped off the radar. If you are concerned that the place at which you dropped off is trackable ( and it is) walk down the street and remove the sim there. Really paranoid? Attach your mobile the neighbour's car and let them take your trackable footprint with them to wherever they are going.

But what about if this system becomes an opt-in or opt-out thing? It's possible.

What about if you stay in place? Will people come and remove you from your home? More importantly, and more interesting for the government, why would you stay home? Maybe you have things you need to protect? Maybe you're hiding something?

For me, it makes sense for the government to employ, but also the paranoid part of me says it could be used against us very easily. Haha, I just realised how crazy I sound.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

17 September 2013, 09:56,
Yes, I get what you're saying LS. Only problems: a sim is still trackable once out of the phone....but costs millions. A phone is trackable without the sim. Best thing is to put the whole lot into a microwave and make it pop.

If it is a national thing, the first thing I'd do is use that system as my sign to bug out. Drop the phone part way, or keep it with me with the battery out, and then just hope they have better people to track than myself.
17 September 2013, 09:59,
post collapse the mobile towers will be "down" for civilian use, best thing to do with your mobile in that event is throw it in the nearest river...its just dead weight otherwise.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 September 2013, 10:32, (This post was last modified: 17 September 2013, 10:33 by Lightspeed.)
(17 September 2013, 09:59)bigpaul Wrote: post collapse the mobile towers will be "down" for civilian use, best thing to do with your mobile in that event is throw it in the nearest river...its just dead weight otherwise.

John's post indicated otherwise BP

TPTB are looking to communicate (control?) with the population through their horrible mobile phones. This implies that they will be taking measures to keep the cell towers operational as long as possible.

I don't think cell towers will stay live for a hugley long time, but long enough for TPTB to strategically mobilise the masses.

(17 September 2013, 09:56)Scythe13 Wrote: Yes, I get what you're saying LS. Only problems: a sim is still trackable once out of the phone....but costs millions. A phone is trackable without the sim. Best thing is to put the whole lot into a microwave and make it pop.

If it is a national thing, the first thing I'd do is use that system as my sign to bug out. Drop the phone part way, or keep it with me with the battery out, and then just hope they have better people to track than myself.

way to go boy!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580