Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rolling a thought around and looking for alternative ideas/views
17 September 2013, 16:23,
Rolling a thought around and looking for alternative ideas/views
This was an original plan, dismissed it, because of what everyone was saying, but now I'm looking back at the idea. I'm wondering whether it has legs of not.

Basically, WTSHTF, the idea was to Bug Out, instantly, to an area where we could maintain view of our home, and stay out there for about a week. We would use this week to check what's going on, and keep our distance from the main area of madness, while still being able to monitor what is going on.

If we have a few people with us, this idea becomes difficult. If it's a large group, the idea dies. So it's very dependant on that.

But I'd love to hear other people's ideas and perspectives on the subject.

Where we live is so close to fields and woods, that you can maintain a view of our home from a good distance away.

Please discuss.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 September 2013, 16:29,
RE: Rolling a thought around and looking for alternative ideas/views
(17 September 2013, 16:23)Scythe13 Wrote: This was an original plan, dismissed it, because of what everyone was saying, but now I'm looking back at the idea. I'm wondering whether it has legs of not.

Basically, WTSHTF, the idea was to Bug Out, instantly, to an area where we could maintain view of our home, and stay out there for about a week. We would use this week to check what's going on, and keep our distance from the main area of madness, while still being able to monitor what is going on.

If we have a few people with us, this idea becomes difficult. If it's a large group, the idea dies. So it's very dependant on that.

But I'd love to hear other people's ideas and perspectives on the subject.

Where we live is so close to fields and woods, that you can maintain a view of our home from a good distance away.

Please discuss.

there is a place not far from you that would give you a good overview of the area, which has a very tall structure on it...if you know the one I mean?Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 September 2013, 16:45,
Time of year and climatic conditions are also a factor Scythe.

If the weather's foul, it could be a big mistake to bug out.

Here the startegy is to bug in, but to have an overlooking Observation Post (OP) manned for as much timeas possible.

We already have the OP set-up and it gives us extended visual horizon from our somewhat secluded house. The OP can monitor 270 degrees, with the remaining 90 degrees screend by forest immediately behinnd it. So the Op is able to visually monitor ahead and to the sides and monitor sctivity in the forest by sound.

Communications from the OP back to the house is walkie talkie radios which have had power tuned right down. We are having some succes using red laser pointers now, as these have easily sufficient range and are even more covert. Learning how to use light as a communications medium will be useful for when battery poereed devices eventually fail.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

17 September 2013, 16:47,
if we HAVE to bug out from here, it HAS to be so BAD we are NEVER coming back!!Dodgy
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 September 2013, 17:58,
I plan to do both,.. I am staying put, but as many of you know I am lucky enough to have hills all around me, so although we plan to bug in, I will spend many days on the hill where I have a good view of not only my house but a view that covers a lot of ground,... I will be keeping contact with the o/h in the house via radio,.... unless things change
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 September 2013, 18:25,
I'm bugging out ONLY if its bad here, in that case when I'm gone I dont give a shit what happens to the house....
My bol becomes my home.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
17 September 2013, 18:40,
BP, I get what you mean mate. Thought about that pretty well, and have plans for that location (note, plans could be to stay well away from it).

LS - I agree completely. But I'm keen on winter and summer, and everything in between, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Everyone else, thanks for saying what you're doing. I'm actually looking for information and perspectives of pros and cons of what I'm thinking about, so if you're able to drop some ideas nearby to my situation, that would be appreciated.

To all the noobies of the forum, just drop your ideas in. There is a lot of stuff to think about, like caching near the location, water sources in the area, and things like that.

People, I'm looking for views on my plan. Please let me know what you think.
17 September 2013, 18:46,
(17 September 2013, 16:23)Scythe13 Wrote: If we have a few people with us, this idea becomes difficult. If it's a large group, the idea dies. So it's very dependant on that.

Why???
If I was in a group and had to bug out, then I would be thinking that I was lucky to be in a group because the more eyes on the ground the better.

The best people cant maintain a look out 24/7 surely the larger the group the better able to take turns with a watch, while still being able to get on with the many other things that are needed to be done
17 September 2013, 18:56,
(17 September 2013, 18:46)Highlander Wrote:
(17 September 2013, 16:23)Scythe13 Wrote: If we have a few people with us, this idea becomes difficult. If it's a large group, the idea dies. So it's very dependant on that.
Why???

My thought is about the practicality of bugging out AS SOON as TSHTF. Take up a position and watch the area run it's course from our vantage point. Then return once things have calmed down a week or 2 later.

Group issues:
It would be difficult to turn to the neighbours and say "Hey quick, let's all run to the hills and leave our homes." They'll think we've gone mad. Also, in the situation I'm thinking of, keeping a low profile would be paramount. If everything is going nuts in town, and we're up on the hills, a large group of us is easier to spot. Attention, when stuff is going awry, is not desirable.

Also, the practicalities of maintaining the group. Food, water, etc. That would take much larger caches.

Just the wife and I, would be much easier to stay hidden. Keep a low profile, and stay out of harms way. With a group you have to consider many more people. Not a problem at the houses, more food available, etc.

I'm genuinely stuck with what to do in this situation.
17 September 2013, 19:15,
I understand where you are coming from now, .....but for those who either have large families or even visitors in the house at the time some thoughts do have to be put into what would you do if Aunty May and uncle dick were visiting at the time, so make use of them

If it is just you and your wife then it might be a good idea to try it out now, ...pick your spot, .....think how it would be in foul weather?, ....can you get to that spot without being seen?, ....where would your back door be if you were spotted? you would not only have to find your spot, but also know your way out.......do you have food stashed at that spot?, because you would not want to move once you were there, movement equals being seen,..and if your family is large, where would the rest of them hunker down?

How far away will you be from your house? the distance would depend on the power of your binos, you would need to see clearly but far enough away not to be heard or smelt,... the intruders may have dogs

Much of what an intruder will get up to may well be at night, you will need to be able to see in the dark,.. how will you do that?

For those with a gun, dont forget to step out the range,