Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What spices should we be storing?
28 August 2011, 19:17,
What spices should we be storing?
After an event all spices from an overseas source are likely to be unobtainable.

What sort of spices should we be looking at storing for use after an event? What alternatives can we use instead?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 August 2011, 12:19,
RE: What spices should we be storing?
I have to confess I'm not too worried about spices.
Spices are something that makes bland food taste better, that's only a problem if you're not starving. (When you've not eaten for three days nearly everything tastes good)
I'm still worried about having enough food, not so worried about making it taste good.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
5 September 2011, 02:11,
spices are something i need to explore?
i think that when the nice stuffs been eat and the vermin and insects are left i will need them before the wife and kids will eat it, would like to think they would understand and eat. but waiting to see if i needed spice for them then and did have it how sick would i be
to win the war, you must be willing to die
5 September 2011, 09:03,
Grumpy,

Bear in mind we eat them now without knowing. They are ground in flour and baked in bread and cakes. We never really now what is in our food and take it on trust.

If it gets to it you can mix some with your food earlier so you don't go all big bang. There will be some recipes coming soon.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 September 2011, 10:32,
Ionly really use the basic spices that you get in racks. How many other spices are there?
That bird house was a legitimate expense.
14 September 2011, 09:43,
I think the only flavourings necessary in an in emergency are sugar and salt. We are conditioned to expect highly spiced food (I like it as much as anyone) but I'm sure that our taste buds would soon readjust to less spicy food.
This would prevail in the short/medium term until herb and spice growing could be established.
There are a lot of natural herbs available in the wild but the type of event could affect their availability.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
14 September 2011, 09:57,
planning and adding stuff to your pile will make life a little bit better to cope with could you really eat bland food every day for a long time without you feel down.
being thankful of the small things can help with the big things
to win the war, you must be willing to die
8 January 2012, 05:33,
ive always found adding herbs and spice to food to help make an otherwise dull meal more enjoyable. I would of though actually enjoying what your eating to perk your spirits up when things arent so great. i personally could not live without thyme or rosemary or garlic al of which i grow myself
8 January 2012, 06:58,
Ben, Keep with the herbs, Garlic has an antibiotic action and so does rosemary. I will try to do an article sometime on Spices and Culinary herbs as medicines. Kenneth Eames.
2 March 2012, 20:06,
I tend to eat highly flavored, spice food so I have a large stock of dried chilli, curry, salt, black pepper, herbs (all sorts) roughly 5kgs of each but 10 kgs of salt. I would struggle to eat bland food and of course if reduced to eating rat etc then at least the seasonings would help the taste