Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Yes, that’s a Tampon in my mouth : The Swiss Army Survival Tampon : 7 Survival Uses
18 September 2013, 07:20,
Yes, that’s a Tampon in my mouth : The Swiss Army Survival Tampon : 7 Survival Uses
River Song was highly bemused ......

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featured-w...ival-uses/
18 September 2013, 14:45,
RE: Yes, that’s a Tampon in my mouth
Thanks RS. What I often find most useful with posted links is that they can lead you on a merry wee chase through other, associated links and I like these for the extra information that can be found, quite by chance. Smile

18 September 2013, 14:52,
Yes, that’s a Tampon in my mouth
Squadies used to carry these through the Falklands war as a first aid dressing,.. you can get one military field dressing in a pocket, you can get ten or more of these in the same pocket

......reduce the size of the heading to post a reply for this
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 September 2013, 16:31,
(18 September 2013, 14:52)Highlander Wrote: Squadies used to carry these through the Falklands war as a first aid dressing,.. you can get one military field dressing in a pocket, you can get ten or more of these in the same pocket

DO NOT EVER use a Tampon in a bullet wound! Cotton fibers will get deeply embedded in the wound requiring surgery to remove. Use pads as a clean absorbent pressure dressing.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
18 September 2013, 16:50,
(18 September 2013, 16:31)Jonas Wrote:
(18 September 2013, 14:52)Highlander Wrote: Squadies used to carry these through the Falklands war as a first aid dressing,.. you can get one military field dressing in a pocket, you can get ten or more of these in the same pocket

DO NOT EVER use a Tampon in a bullet wound! Cotton fibers will get deeply embedded in the wound requiring surgery to remove. Use pads as a clean absorbent pressure dressing.

Yes, this was what I meant, the proper military field dressings are pressure pads too
19 September 2013, 10:53,

They expand too, so not really the best place to put a tampon.
19 September 2013, 11:04,
(19 September 2013, 10:53)BeardyMan Wrote:

Like Highlander, I am under the belief that a tampon makes an ideal bullet wound closure.

The fibres stay together really well...think what they're used for, and how flaking fibres could cause a whole load of issues! They not only absorb a hell of a lot of blood but their expansion seals the wound too. Sterile, and very portable.

What's not to like?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 September 2013, 11:07,
(19 September 2013, 11:04)Scythe13 Wrote:

Like Highlander, I am under the belief that a tampon makes an ideal bullet wound closure.

The fibres stay together really well...think what they're used for, and how flaking fibres could cause a whole load of issues! They not only absorb a hell of a lot of blood but their expansion seals the wound too. Sterile, and very portable.

What's not to like?

Cause it has to come out at some point, the blood has clotted, you pull the tampon out and open the wound. More bleeding. It's a big no no
19 September 2013, 11:12,
The Swiss Army Survival Tampon : 7 Survival Uses
...But we/I am not talking about stuffing one into a wound, that's not even what a Military field dressing is for,.. the Tampon would only be used in the same way as a field dressing, i.e. to cover a wound to help arrest the bleeding and keep a wound clean
19 September 2013, 11:14,
(19 September 2013, 11:07)BeardyMan Wrote:
(19 September 2013, 11:04)Scythe13 Wrote:

What's not to like?
Cause it has to come out at some point, the blood has clotted, you pull the tampon out and open the wound. More bleeding. It's a big no no

I thought it would be more of a 'prop into the top' kind of thing. Not a jam it all the way in. I was thinking at most 1cm into a bullet wound, just so it doesn't pop out.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin