Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After the apocalypse I would love one of these to run around in.
11 August 2013, 11:30,
After the apocalypse I would love one of these to run around in.
I think that after TSHTF vintage and classic cars could find a second lease of life because of their mechanical simplicity. Points, condensors, coils, rotor arms etc instead of black boxes. just as the merkins love these old pre 74 pickups and trucks perhaps so should be be looking at Moggie Pickups, Tilly Pickups, Reliant pickups etc ??
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/421099/...attraction

11 August 2013, 12:13,
RE: After the apocalypse I would love one of these to run around in.
(11 August 2013, 11:30)NorthernRaider Wrote: I think that after TSHTF vintage and classic cars could find a second lease of life because of their mechanical simplicity. Points, condensors, coils, rotor arms etc instead of black boxes. just as the merkins love these old pre 74 pickups and trucks perhaps so should be be looking at Moggie Pickups, Tilly Pickups, Reliant pickups etc ??
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/421099/...attraction

i could se my self in one of them ,very easy to work on
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
11 August 2013, 13:06,
I've heard from some family members who had a Moggie that you can strip the engine down with just four spanners!

True?

Love to have one but the missus would never get on with one...
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
11 August 2013, 13:10,
Its one reason I am hanging onto by Quad bike,..simplisity on a small scale
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 August 2013, 15:29,
I had a few moggie vans, never EVER let me down....a35 was a good van except for half shafts .... easy to work on ...never took them to garages done all the maintenance myself.
11 August 2013, 16:17,
Donkey Cart for me!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 August 2013, 20:24,
If it has points, a coil or a condensor, you are in a petrol vehicle and have just about reached the end of the line anyway.

Never discount something because it has an ECU. It really is nothing more than a old mans whinge that 'oh they are all computer and complicated and cannot be fixed'. Sure, ECU's had problems late 1970's / early-mid 1980's. What goes on such cars are the sensors, and if you know your car and have done a bit of research, you will have a good idea of what sensor has gone by the symptoms. Most cars do not have lots of sensors to fail anyway.

Think about it like this - you could go and buy something like a Rover 45 with 80K miles on it for £800, run it for a year, do 12k miles without a service and it will still keep going. Get a decent moggie with say 40K miles on (its going to cost you x5 of the rover) and try doing 12k miles in it without any servicing - the engine will have gone, the wheel bearings gone, the carb will be so far out (and empty of dash pot oil) the engine will not run (even if the lack of oil changes had not killed it)... you get the picture.

Really, the argument that 'to difficult to work on' should be 'do not need to work on as those parts you replaced, emery papered, adjusted and tinkered with simply do not exist'.

When did you last grease bearings on a modern car, or grease points, or have to have a wheel bearing changed?

Look at parts too - sure, I can order stuff from Rimmer Bros for a moggie, an MGB, a TR6 and they have enough parts for me to pretty much build a new car. With a modern, I can go to the dealer, Eurocarparts, the local independent and get the parts. I can get parts from local scrappies (say with the rover, I could get 45 parts off a 400, a 25, a 200, lots of different Honda Civics). I can get tyres designed for the car rather than have to order them.

Really, have something 10 years old, learn how to maintain it, learn what goes on it, get a copy of the dealer manual for the car.

Or be really sensible, buy a non high pressure diesel on a 4wd with a ladder chassis.
11 August 2013, 21:04,
Quote:Or be really sensible, buy a non high pressure diesel on a 4wd with a ladder chassis.

Yep, like a 200 or 300Tdi Discovery. Cheap as chips, practical, not too "gung ho" looking, but will go anywhere a Defender will (more or less).
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
11 August 2013, 22:17,
Yes, and about 1/3 of the price or less of a Defender in similar condition. That or a Hilux, L200, Ford Ranger and so on of a certain age. When fuel is no more, rip the engine and 'box out and get a couple of bullocks to pull the thing.

What I forgot to say about old old stuff also is that they tend to have screw standards that Brunel would be familiar with, but you would have a lot more difficulty scavenging or adapting a part to because of. I have taps and dies ISO metric size 2 - 14 with a couple for reverse threads also - no whitworths or unifieds so no making parts for the Great Western or American stuff that use unifieds. Due to not having the need for them at present, I dont own them, post SHTF, they would be a pain to find if needed.