Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TU When Travelling
22 September 2013, 06:29,
TU When Travelling
I believe that someone else raised this question recently. Who preps when they go on a luxury holiday? (I think it was in terms of the current disaster in Acapulco)

Well the OH and I are doing a bit of traveling soon. Not luxury but to Scandinavia and the Arctic. Not cruising but plane, train and bus.

Considering space restrictions, airport security etc, what preps would you suggest we take?

Remember, we can't pack the kitchen sink or a 4kva generator Big GrinBig Grin
22 September 2013, 07:20,
RE: TU When Travelling
This probably sounds really stupid and obvious but carry map coverage of everywhere you intend to be....lot of great info in a map key.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
22 September 2013, 08:31,
(22 September 2013, 07:20)Midnitemo Wrote: This probably sounds really stupid and obvious but carry map coverage of everywhere you intend to be....lot of great info in a map key.
a small silva type compass, i have a casio watch that is a compass,was 30 quid in the argos sale , and some way of purifying water either tab's or a filter, the one i have is an aquamira frontier pro and its currently a third of rrp at emergency food rations(20 quid)and my trusty leatherman tool and swiss army knife.....thats my travel kit
22 September 2013, 08:40,
its going to be difficult getting high grade maps of the areas covered but I could try a trip to Stanfords in London to see what they have.

Silva compass - yup got
Lifestraw --- ordered
Leatherman multitool - to be ordered
Knife - got it
22 September 2013, 11:30,
Knife and multitool will not be allowed on the plane unless in suitcases. Hand luggage items of a knife or multitool will get you arrested or on the radar, so to speak.

If you have perspex chopsticks that lots of women have in their hair, did you know they are amazingly useful stabbing items...so I've been told? Very good defence weapon, and with it not being metal, won't set off any metal detectors. Pretty good to know.

When I was going on a holiday when I first joined the forum, NR and BP both recommended I send a GHB to my destination, so that I had gear with me always, while I was there.

Personally, I'd recommend a good survival guide book for the plane, that focused around the region you were going to, e.g. desert survival, jungle survival, etc.

Wallet, make sure you have your Superdrug card with you. You know the one with the mirror surface? Signalling mirror on tap. Why not also go for a magnifying glass credit card thing as well. The ones old people use to read books. They are a good way to start a fire.

Shoe laces and bracelets can become paracord...very helpful stuff.

Take double your expected usage of prescription medication. If something happens it buys you extra time to find more, e.g. instead of 14 days of insulin, take 24-28 days worth, so that if something happens, you have that safety buffer.

On your keys, have a flint, and check the back end of your keys work as a striker. Extra fire items.

Lastly, an ankle wallet/money belt, or something like that. You need to be able to be mugged and still have cash left with you once your wallet is gone.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 September 2013, 11:44,
Blimey s13 you make it sound like a mission not a holiday....good advice and all makes sense but i'd just need to skimp a bit...i hate it when i fly with hand luggage only cos i do feel naked but i just buy the stuff i feel i realy need there and if i've paid to much in my opinion to bin it when i leave then i post it home(probably why i have so many opinel knives and victorinox/wenger ones too.
22 September 2013, 14:16,
If your phone takes apps, then a GPS app is a very useful tool, as are medical apps,.. there are many apps that would help a prepper

Have a good trip
A major part of survival is invisibility.
22 September 2013, 14:21,
i'd be inclined to buy it the other end then dump it before I came back, saves ANY hassle with the airlines or customs.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 September 2013, 14:27,
they must have £ or E shops over their , stock up then dump .
Survive the jive (youtube )
22 September 2013, 15:57,
Usually more expensive over there and I am not going to dump.