Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petroleum Jelly Infused Cottonball Tinder
24 September 2013, 17:56,
Petroleum Jelly Infused Cottonball Tinder
Cotton balls infused with petroleum jelly are reliable wet-weather tinder which has been used by ski patrol and search & rescue units for many years.

This is how we teach “PJCB Basics” to our CERT teams:

Start with a 6 oz. jar of Vaseline and a big bag of pure cotton balls from the drug store. No synthetics!

Melt the Vaseline in a double-boiler, taking precautions against fire.
Pour most of the molten liquid into a #10 (2 liter) can with its top cut out, GI canteen cup or mess tin.

Fill the emptied out, but still well-coated Vaseline jar with dry cotton balls. Work / knead the CBs with your fingers to take up the melted Vaseline coating the inside of the container. If necessary grab another handful of dry cotton balls, repeating the process until the original Vaseline container is wiped virtually dry.

Now grab more dry cotton balls, put them into your #10 can, mess tin or canteen cup, and knead them with the rest of the melted Vaseline, knead, repeat, and repeat. A large (1 liter) bag of cotton balls readily soaks up an entire 6 oz. jar of melted Vaseline. Take your batch of infused cotton balls, and repeatedly knead and work them together so that the Vaseline is evenly distributed through all of them so the CBs are totally infused, being both fueled and waterproofed, but not so highly saturated that they will ooze Vaseline when squeezed. This enables compressing a large number of them into a small container, so that they are easy to separate, pull apart and fluff to readily take the spark from your ferro rod or Doan Machinery tool!

Pack your finished PJCBs into a tight, compressed mass in 35mm film cans, snuff cans, the crannies of your Altoid survival tin, etc. Then put fire tinder containers everywhere in the odd corners of your truck, personal survival kit, coat pockets, etc.

If you don't smoke, yank the filling out of an old Zippo and mash about ten of these LIGHTLY infused, highly compressed cotton balls, into its fuel cavity. With good flint you've now got ten fires in your pocket! I buy old lighters at garage sales, etc., field strip them, pack and stow them everywhere.

To build your fire pull an infused cotton ball out from your stash, pull it apart with your fingers to fluff well, then place it onto the tip of your metal spade, mess kit spoon or K-bar sheath knife. This makes it easy reposition it after lighting, into your toothpick, matchstick, grass ball and wood shavings "bird nest tinder ball." As soon as your birdnest catches, start by laying on "chop stick" sized split wood in a small "tipi fire," then go upward in size to the "pencil sticks," then to "tent peg sticks" and so on until you can go on real split firewood.

Master Chief told us as young aircrew to start with at least a canteen cup full of tinder, shavings and chopstick to up to pencil-sized small dry wood. If you don't have that much, go out and get some more!

My anorak pocket "firebox" is packed in an Altoids tin and contains:

Four Esbit solid fuel tabs http://www.bestglide.com/esbit_stove.html

Aviator's Sparklite Kit http://www.bestglide.com/Spark_Lite_Info.html

Fresnel lens http://www.bestglide.com/fresnel_lens_firestarter.html

A twist-type hand pencil sharpener, which is great for making thin wood shavings from sticks, etc.

As many PJCBs as I can cram into the nooks and crannies of the box so its contents don't rattle.

Box is held closed with two Ranger Bands cut from bike inner tube. Rubber is also very good as expedient fuel.

I always have a K1 ferro rod and striker on my key ring http://www.bestglide.com/K1_Info.html

Best Glide ASE is a prime contractor and major supplier of survival kits and individual kit items to the U.S. government, military, commercial and general aviation. They carry only quality, tested items, most of which are the actual U.S. and NATO specification survival equipment identified by NSN number, from the original government contractors. Survival gear is their only business, they have been at it a long time and have a stellar reputation in the military and aviation communities.

I have no connection with the firm, other than being a satisfied customer. I owe my life to their gear being available to me and performing when I needed it do so. I can provide no higher testimonial.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
24 September 2013, 19:03, (This post was last modified: 24 September 2013, 19:04 by Lightspeed.)
RE: Petroleum Jelly Infused Cottonball Tinder
This was covered off when NR an God were both boys Charlie.

See NR Prepping guide pt 4
Intercontinental Bugging Out

or should that now be Bugging out for the incontinent NR??

oops missed a comma and it kinda changes the flavour...

that should have read: or should that now be Bugging out for the incontinent, NR??
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

24 September 2013, 19:25,
It is actually a bit of a good reminder of how to do this,.. I remember many years ago when I first heard this, I took a jar of petroleum jelly and with sticky fingers tried to work some into cotton wool balls,.. I then packed them away

A few months on from that I had a chance to try one,..it didn't work, it seemed to have evaporated.

So of course I have learnt since, but others may not have, that to do this so that they do work well, the jelly needs to be heated and liquified, and mixed in well
A major part of survival is invisibility.
25 September 2013, 01:24,
i prefer to use parafin wax mixed with sawdust
25 September 2013, 04:53,
Can the paraffin and sawdust cakjes be ignited with a spark from a ferro rod, or does it require a match or other actual flame?

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
1 October 2013, 20:46,
I find that cotton wool balls well rolled in vaseline work best if ripped open to expose the inside and ignited with fire steel. The sparks seem to work better on the cotton which ignites the vaseline, but as Highlander says, they do seem to dry out and need to be re-rolled from time to time even when kept in an air tight container.
2 October 2013, 12:21,
I use a similar system to DL above. I just roll the two together in my fingers then tear the mixed ball apart. Too much petroleum jelly and it won't ignite very easily.

To keep them from drying out, you can wrap them in cling film (it works with paint on paint brushes and rollers too) or you could do my preferred method. Just keep some lip balm next to some dry cotton wool balls. Then make them when you need them.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 October 2013, 13:06,
(25 September 2013, 04:53)CharlesHarris Wrote: Can the paraffin and sawdust cakjes be ignited with a spark from a ferro rod, or does it require a match or other actual flame?

I take a cotton mophead string, dip in liquid paraffin, then roll in sawdust. It will take a spark as is, but I like to cut about 2 inches off, mash it and flatten it to get more area to catch the spark.
3 October 2013, 02:36,
Good tip! Thx.

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
21 October 2013, 21:39,
I recently saw a way to seal the PJCB's once made, hopefully stop them drying out. Take a drinking straw, pinch one end with pliers and seal it with a lighter. Cut the straw into fire kit size lengths, then using tweezers stuff the straws with ripped bits of PJC. Pack it in fairly tight but leave enough room to seal the open end with pliers and a lighter.
Gives you some air sealed tubes which you only need to open as you use them.
I have ordered a little funnel so I can pour liquified PJ to another straw so I have a supply of pure vaseline in small quantities for medicinal use as well.