Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The use of sugar to enhance wound healing
24 September 2013, 18:00,
The use of sugar to enhance wound healing
I received a copy of Hugh Coffees book "Ditch medicine" and in it I found an interesting chapter on the use of sugar as a treatment of infected wounds.

Quote: Sugar has been called a non-specific universal anti-microbial agent. Based on its safety, ease of use and availability. As with any wound the wound is first irrigated and debrided. Hemostasis is obtained prior to the application of the sugar since sugar can promote bleeding in a fresh wound.

A wait of 24 to 48 hours before the application of sugar is not unusual. Once bleeding is under control, deep wounds are treated by pouring granulated sugar into the wound, making sure to fill all cavities. The wound is then covered with a gauze sponge soaked in iodine solution. In a few hours the granulated sugar is dissolved into a "syrup" by body fluid drawn into the wound site.

Since the effect of granulated sugar upon bacteria is based on osmostic shock and withdrawl of water that is necessary for bacterial growth and reproduction. So to continually inhibit bacterial growth, the wound is cleaned with water and repacked at least one to four times daily. Or as soon as the sugar becomes diluted with more solute (sugar) to re-concentrate the aqueous solution in the environment of the solution. Unquote.

I was taught to mix Betadine with the sugar. Irrigate the wound with sterile water once it becomes syrupy, then repack the wound with Betadyne sugar again. Repeat as necessary.

That little medical tidbit came from a short class I took with a Canadian Paramedic who works in the remote wilderness of the Canadian Rockies.
Also learned it in class. http://www.medicalcorps.org/class.htm Also learned how to rehydrate an unconscious person using a nasogastric tube either through the nose or rectally from that same Canadian Paramedic.

Cool stuff. Problem is, you don't want to use it except in the most extreme of circumstances and you're on your own for an extended period. Too much liability.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA

Messages In This Thread
The use of sugar to enhance wound healing - by CharlesHarris - 24 September 2013, 18:00
RE: The use of sugar to enhance wound healing - by Jan - 28 September 2013, 23:16