Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to The Land .22s
26 September 2013, 17:14,
Back to The Land .22s
Be advised that this article is written from the viewpoint of living in a rural community in the USA. I hope that it has value for those living elsewhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you live far enough out in the country that the sheriff's respondse is longer than a few minutes, having a firearm readily available makes sense for home security, hunting and pest control. We are fortunate in the US that in most of the country, the right to self defense against violent criminal actors is respected, as long as you follow the same rules of engagement and use of force continuum required of the police.

For a NON-HOBBY shooter who intends to own only one firearm, a good choice is a bolt-action, repeating 22 rifle.

The simple bolt-action .22 rifle with open sights is ignored by shooting hobbyists, but it is inexpensive and works fine in the farm, foraging, "wild" backpacking and camp utility role.

A bolt action is most simple for a novice to use, because its chamber is exposed and easily accessible when the action is opened. It is obvious when the chamber is empty and everyone see that the gun is safe. A bolt action repeater may be single-loaded and fired one round at a time and remains functional if you loose its box magazine or if a tubular magazine becomes damaged. Single-loading a pump, lever or autoloader is not as easy.

Hobby shooters in the US prefer semi-automatics because they are fun to shoot. They hold more rounds and shoot faster. While increased firepower could be useful in a self-defense role, it is extremely wasteful of ammunition, which is much more expensive today and will become scarce when times get really tough.

Telescopic sights help people with poor or declining eyesight, but they make the rifle much less handy. Inexpensive Chinese scopes sold in discount stores are often of poor optical quality, not well sealed against moisture, are less rugged and may fail to hold zero. A QUALITY scope and mount may exceed the cost of your plain utility rifle. But if you REALLY need a scope because you cannot see iron sights well enough to shoot the varmint, grit your teeth and buy the best which you can afford.

Receiver or "peep" sights are the best compromise for the cost-conscious. Anyone who has served in the military since WWII is familiar with the peep sight, which is simple and rugged. A simple .22 bolt action with a bright metal front bead that you can see and a peep sight with large hunting aperture is very useful in dim woods and hard to beat.

A skilled, experienced shooter can kill small game with a .22 handgun, where legal, as it is in most of the rural USA. But, unless you are willing to practice frequently to acquire and maintain skill, a rifle is MUCH better. An adult of average skill, after basic training and practice can readily hit a target the size of a SPAM, tuna or soup can at 50 metres using an iron-sighted .22 rifle. This is adequate for most field shooting. Most people learning to shoot a .22 pistol or revolver handgun after basic instruction can do so reliably at 10 to 15 metres. A pistol shooter of moderate skill can do so two-handed 25 metres. Only an expert pistol shot can take small game as well with a .22 handgun realistic at field ranges as a novice rifle shooter can at 50 metres. This is simple reality.

Handguns do have the distinct advantage of small size, reduced weight, and bulk for portability. For this reason people who live and work outdoors in rural areas of the US often carry a .22 handgun. A handgun doesn't get in the way when you have other work to do, but is a comfort when alone, especially in border infiltration areas frequented by Mexican drug cartels and illegal aliens sneaking into the country.

In new .22 handguns the best sellers in America are the Ruger Mk.III and Browning Buckmark. Out of the box, hand-held from sandbags, they will average 5cm ten-shot groups at 25 metres with ammo of average quality. Standard velocity or match ammo runs shaves 1 cm off of that, and is quieter, but costs more.

Bolt action .22s are usually more accurate than semi-autos, pumps or levers. The best buy in a new bolt-action .22 is one of the Marlins. A .22 bolt rifle with simple iron sights should readily shoot groups under 5 cm at 50 metres, if you use "good ammo" of the major brands, not discounted bulk-box stuff from Walmart.

In handguns any good .22 autoloader with a barrel longer than 10 cm inches in which you can still see rifling should shoot 5 cm groups at 25 metres off sandbags, again, assuming "good ammo."

The best buy in a new .22 revolver is the Ruger Single-Six. This is a "cowboy style" single-action with which everyone is familiar. The Single Six, in my experience, is just as accurate the Ruger Mk.III auto pistol, but not all .22 revolvers are created equal. For trapping and most outdoor use 10cm groups at 25 metres are good enough because woods ranges are short, so typical shots are more like 10 to 15 metres and 25 metres is really a long shot for taking edible small game with a handgun.

If you get “lucky,” an inexpensive, used .22 revolver may shoot as well as a more expensive one. Good values in the US are the 8- or 9-shot double-action revolvers often found in pawn shops in good shape for under $200, as long as they time and index correctly. The Iver-Johnson Sealed 8, H&R Sportsman, High Standard Double-Nine or Sentinel are typical examples.

If possible, test fire any used .22 revolver before you buy it. Cut the corner out of a Kraft paper grocery bag, poke the muzzle out and fire a cylinder load through it double-action. Inspect the bag to see if any lead fragments cut holes when exiting the sides of the bag. If only smoky with no holes, it's a keeper! Clean it well, and shoot GREASED or WAXED, UNPLATED ammo in it. Avoid plated, dry-lubed bullets in revolvers, because they lead the forcing cone and cylinder, destroying accuracy.

Fixed sights are best for the field or “survival” gun. You may need to drift the rear sight for windage or carefully file the front or rear sights to get a clear sight picture and to adjust point of impact. This requires spending range time to see which ammo is both reliable and accurate, setting up the gun for that ammo and buying a good supply to last a long time. Al case of 5000 rounds, will last the casual shooter for many years. Good quality .22 ammo doesn't go "bad" if stored properly.

Irons sights for a farm utility .22 rifle or handgun should be zeroed to strike to point of aim at 25 metres. If your gun has adjustable sights, once you get a perfect zero, flood the screws with LocTite so that the sights will stay put.

Some hobby shooters put scopes or red-dot sights on their long barreled target .22 handguns. By the time you put reliable optics on a basic Ruger pistol you increase your total "system cost" to over $600US! Your resulting "full race dragon" pistol tips the scales at about nearly 1.5kg! A heavy barrel, "full race gun" is bulky and less handy for field use than the "Target and Trapper" model pistols of the 1930s and 40s, such as the Colt5 Woodsman, which were designed for the bushcraft, backpack survival situations we plan for and talk about around the camp fire.

The .22 pistol I actually carry in my survival ruck is a High Standard Model B which was made in 1942 with a 6-3/4" barrel. It was bequeathed to me from a old Alaska bush pilot who flew covert missions in Vietnam for Air America and until he retired, carried it in the survival seat pack of his DeHavilland Beaver float plane. The High Standard Model B of the WW2 era uses the same magazines as pre-war Colt Woodsmans and is similarly trim, light and accurate.

High Standards in very good to excellent condition can be readily found online in the US to have shipped to your local licensed FFL dealer for legal transfer. A “shooter grade” Colt Woodsman, Huntsman or Challenger in the US will cost $700-$800. A High Standard Model A, B, GB, D, H-B, or H-D in similar VG to Exc. condition will sell for about $100 less than a Colt in similar condition. Classic trapper's .22 autos are handy in the ruck and worth EVERY penny!

As for ammo, the CCI High Velocity Small Game Bullet (SGB) and CCI Subsonic Hollow-Point are the best of US hunting ammo, depending upon whether you want maximum power and penetration, or if you want low noise from your rifle for garden pest control without disturbing the neighbors. CCI Blazer is the best buy for low cost, high volume practice ammo. The CCI Subsonic HP is the only low noise (in a rifle), standard velocity round I have found which also expands reliably from a 6" or longer semi-auto pistol. Eley Subsonic does as well but is expensive and hard to find. While I prefer the SGC for groundhogs, raccoon and larger varmints, subsonic hollow-points are great for stuff like squirrels and rabbits.

Getting any bullet expansion from .22 revolvers is problematic. This is because the cylinder gap reduces velocity. Also, any cylinder misalignment causes asymmetrical scrubbing of the bullet which accentuates its initial yaw as it leaves the muzzle. In water-jug tests I have found that the same bullets which expand well from my 4-1/2" barrel Woodsman and 6-3/4” High Standard do not from 6” revolvers. In revolvers you are ALWAYS better off with solids. High velocity is best if you can find a batch of unplated stuff, such as CCI Blazer, that is accurate.

Practice with your .22 frequently from field positions. With handguns use a lanyard of parachute cord to steady it. Practice until you can hit a bottle cap every time at 10 metres., then increase the distance to 15 metres, When that becomes easy, go to 25 metres and shoot bottle caps from a steady sitting position or using an improved rest. Once you start trying to break clay birds on a dirt bank at 50 metres you have become a hobby shooter and are just showing off!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
26 September 2013, 17:27, (This post was last modified: 26 September 2013, 17:28 by Midnitemo.)
RE: Back to The Land .22s
Handguns of any ilk are prohibited in the uk...nearest thing we have are lbr's and buckmarks with extended barrels and permanently fixed counterweights.(lbr= long barrelled revolvers)

The only semi auto's allowed are Rimfire
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 September 2013, 20:42,
Best buy in the UK is a used CZ452. Fitted with a reasonably priced Bushnell Legend scope and Sirocco SM11 moderator this will bag you rabbits out to 75yds, 100yds with practice on a good day.
26 September 2013, 21:42,
Handguns or "pistols" as the UK term is, are not all banned in the UK. As Midnitemo mentions, there are "target" pistols - which are basically full blown centre fire pistols, some of considerable power, that have long barrels and some just a simple solid wire stock, which is no more than a rearward single steel rod projection with an upturn that crudely represents a stock. The legality is that the overall length of the weapon dictates it to be a "pistol calibre carbine" and not a pistol/handgun! I will not continue further with my description of these guns but leave it to the reader to imagine the swift modification options possible if the scenario WROL made it so.
Also Black Powder (or a modern propellant substitute) pistols are not banned either. These range from early historical matchlock/flintlock examples, to copies of guns used in the American West and that was not a long time ago. Do not believe people when they tell you these guns are inaccurate and ineffective.... Just look into how these actually performed in gunfights and maybe the US Civil war for one. Black powder small arms were still in use during WW1 in some areas. For prepping think outside the commercial and sporting box. Regards, TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
26 September 2013, 23:19, (This post was last modified: 26 September 2013, 23:23 by Midnitemo.)
(26 September 2013, 21:42)Timelord Wrote: Handguns or "pistols" as the UK term is, are not all banned in the UK. As Midnitemo mentions, there are "target" pistols - which are basically full blown centre fire pistols, some of considerable power, that have long barrels and some just a simple solid wire stock, which is no more than a rearward single steel rod projection with an upturn that crudely represents a stock. The legality is that the overall length of the weapon dictates it to be a "pistol calibre carbine" and not a pistol/handgun! I will not continue further with my description of these guns but leave it to the reader to imagine the swift modification options possible if the scenario WROL made it so.
Also Black Powder (or a modern propellant substitute) pistols are not banned either. These range from early historical matchlock/flintlock examples, to copies of guns used in the American West and that was not a long time ago. Do not believe people when they tell you these guns are inaccurate and ineffective.... Just look into how these actually performed in gunfights and maybe the US Civil war for one. Black powder small arms were still in use during WW1 in some areas. For prepping think outside the commercial and sporting box. Regards, TL.

i couldn't hit anything consistently with bp revolvers .36 or .44 and i've put plenty of lead down range...the specialized front stuffers seem a lot better accuracy wise but 1 round every 30 seconds is gonna get you killed.

(26 September 2013, 23:19)Midnitemo Wrote:
(26 September 2013, 21:42)Timelord Wrote: Handguns or "pistols" as the UK term is, are not all banned in the UK. As Midnitemo mentions, there are "target" pistols - which are basically full blown centre fire pistols, some of considerable power, that have long barrels and some just a simple solid wire stock, which is no more than a rearward single steel rod projection with an upturn that crudely represents a stock. The legality is that the overall length of the weapon dictates it to be a "pistol calibre carbine" and not a pistol/handgun! I will not continue further with my description of these guns but leave it to the reader to imagine the swift modification options possible if the scenario WROL made it so.

i couldn't hit anything consistently with bp revolvers .36 or .44 and i've put plenty of lead down range...the specialized front stuffers seem a lot better accuracy wise but 1 round every 30 seconds is gonna get you killed.

lbr's and buckmarks would meet the hacksaw i'm sure after a breakdown of law and order.

A single round of 00 buck achieves in 1 shot what a whole chamber from a navy colt does and then some.
27 September 2013, 01:31,

[/quote]

The Ruger Old Army is pretty damn accurate and is a 6 shot .44 or .45 calibre revolver. That is a lot quicker than 1 shot every 30 seconds. There are other makes too that are of the same type. The cowboy action shooter scene uses mostly BP revolvers and they do well with them in their comps.

lbr's and buckmarks would meet the hacksaw i'm sure after a breakdown of law and order.

You think? lol:-)

A single round of 00 buck achieves in 1 shot what a whole chamber from a navy colt does and then some.
[/quote]
That is 9 soft lead projectiles roughly equivalent to a 9mm submachine gun salvo - but all in 1 shot! No wonder the military love them for counter ambush, jungle warfare and anti piracy actions. Pretty good in urban environments too. Nasty nasty humans!!
27 September 2013, 01:44,
The Ruger Old Army is my black powder revolver of choice. It gives up nothing, except speed of reloading, to a modern gun.
I was able to get two extra cylinders for mine, which I carry in leather pouches. The Ruger is legal for hunting where I live in West Virginia and over the years I have taken lots of small game and two deer with mine.

I don't know if they are legal in UK, but they make conversion cylinders which adapt the Old Army to use modern ammunition. I have one for mine which uses .45 ACP. They also make then in .45 Colt. Firing the .45 ACP 230-grain JHP +P law enforcement loads from the 7-1/2" barrel, I get 1050 fps and 4-5" groups at 50 yards, firing off sandbags. Good enough!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
27 September 2013, 02:04, (This post was last modified: 27 September 2013, 02:07 by Timelord.)
The conversion cylinders are not legal in the UK as that would make it a centre fire pistol which has been banned. You can have spare cylinders and many Cowboy Action Shooters do, but each spare cylinder has to have its own firearms slot on your firearms certificate. This is doable if you have a good reason for requesting it - like Cowboy Action Shooting for example! lol

The Colt replica revolvers are much faster to change the cylinder. It can be done just by sliding the pivot bar across slightly, or something like that. The cylinder readily disengages and a new one can be inserted in. With the Old Army you have to turn a "turnscrew" also which necessitates using a tool and handling the gun more etc. The Colts were used this way historically to swap over cylinders. although the timing and place and subjection to incoming fire may have had quite an impact on the ability to do this. Still it is a good option in the right situation.
I did once read that the Ruger Old Army had a very high power for a black powder handgun due to its modern design (based on the Blackhawk - retro engineered to black powder) and the barrel length/gun mass. It was quoted as having the equivalent projectile impact as a .45ACP round. the Ruger Old Army is sub sonic and the .45 I presume is Supersonic? Is that right? If so that gives the Ruger some serious hitting power. I can not verify that information at the moment though.
It is also a weapon that can be loaded manually without the need for modern cartridges. The ball/bullet is easy to cast from soft lead, even over a campfire and the propellant can be made up or sourced from a variety of base ingredients. This means the old tech firearm can be run at a very basic tech level and can continue to be run at that level when modern cartridges are scarce or non existent.
(I am sure you know this CH. I have posted it to complete the picture for all readers. Ta, TL)

(27 September 2013, 02:04)Timelord Wrote: The conversion cylinders are not legal in the UK as that would make it a centre fire pistol which has been banned. You can have spare cylinders and many Cowboy Action Shooters do, but each spare cylinder has to have its own firearms slot on your firearms certificate. This is doable if you have a good reason for requesting it - like Cowboy Action Shooting for example! lol

The Colt replica revolvers are much faster to change the cylinder. It can be done just by sliding the pivot bar across slightly, or something like that. The cylinder readily disengages and a new one can be inserted in. With the Old Army you have to turn a "turnscrew" also which necessitates using a tool and handling the gun more etc. The Colts were used this way historically to swap over cylinders. although the timing and place and subjection to incoming fire may have had quite an impact on the ability to do this. Still it is a good option in the right situation.
I did once read that the Ruger Old Army had a very high power for a black powder handgun due to its modern design (based on the Blackhawk - retro engineered to black powder) and the barrel length/gun mass. It was quoted as having the equivalent projectile impact as a .45ACP round. the Ruger Old Army is sub sonic and the .45 I presume is Supersonic? Is that right? If so that gives the Ruger some serious hitting power. I can not verify that information at the moment though.
It is also a weapon that can be loaded manually without the need for modern cartridges. The ball/bullet is easy to cast from soft lead, even over a campfire and the propellant can be made up or sourced from a variety of base ingredients. This means the old tech firearm can be run at a very basic tech level and can continue to be run at that level when modern cartridges are scarce or non existent.
(I am sure you know this CH. I have posted it to complete the picture for all readers. Ta, TL)

Nice grouping and of course perfectly adequate for a close combat weapon :-)
27 September 2013, 07:53, (This post was last modified: 27 September 2013, 07:57 by Steve.)
The ROA is very heavy, but very strong. You cannot blow it up with black powder, and even with a high energy substitute like 777 you would be unlucky to damage it. Ballistics are way past 45ACP, standard they can be loaded past 357 and when the yanks have the cylinders bored deeper the approach 41mag.

There is a nitro conversion available here for £75 that replaces the standard nipples with a cup that takes shotgun primers, you load 4 or 5 grains of nitro and a normal ball. This is much lower power than standard BP or substitute loads but has some advantage for weatherproofing. It also makes much less smoke. The website makes no mention of altering the hammer, which is flat faced, so you can convert the gun back very easily.

Incidentally, search for paper cartridges for BP revolvers. Basically a cigarette paper formed into a tube and glued to the base of a bullet, it makes a reload quicker.
27 September 2013, 09:38, (This post was last modified: 27 September 2013, 09:59 by Midnitemo.)
Must admit i haven't had a go with the ruger or the rogers/spencer which are said to be the best of there kind , my experience is with the remington 1858 and various colt replica's by pietta/uberti and pedersoli .... when i say i can't hit much i meant i can't produce meaningful groups at 20m...i always get a flyer or 2 that wreck the group...thats not to say i couldn't consistently hit central body mass at that range...so if i could have one i would for the old tech reasons timelord has mentioned , 1858 remington i liked better , the colt seemed to be a really sloppy shooter, don't like the peg securing system and lack of a top strap.

the one shot every 30 seconds i was refering to the specialised target single shot muzzle loaders with the anatomical grips(state of the art target pistols)

i had issues with the caps too , sometimes they fail sometimes they split on firing and fall off the nipple causing the cylinder to jam,tried 10's and 11's pinching them when you fit them nothing seems to work , i guess its just a reliability issue that you have to live with, these little niggles and the rate of fire issue is why they were superceeded in the first place...but i'd still have one...if i could.