Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun
17 November 2013, 11:08,
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun
The only problem with singles and pump actions in the uk is there of limited use when it comes to clay pigeon shooting and that is where most people are going to get there practice/experience with the gun's...singles and pumps are more used for hunting/vermin control so you're going to need some land to shoot on or permission to do so...the firearms bobby will ask what you intend to do with the shotguns when he comes round to check your cabinet.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
17 November 2013, 11:26,
(17 November 2013, 11:08)Midnitemo Wrote: The only problem with singles and pump actions in the uk is there of limited use when it comes to clay pigeon shooting and that is where most people are going to get there practice/experience with the gun's...singles and pumps are more used for hunting/vermin control so you're going to need some land to shoot on or permission to do so...the firearms bobby will ask what you intend to do with the shotguns when he comes round to check your cabinet.

Am I right in thinking he won't be aware of what I'm planning to buy until after the cert is issued as I've not declared what specific guns I'm after? Or have I totally cocked my application up & can expect a rejection Huh

I'm actively on the look out for shooting permission & I have my local gun club application signed & ready, just short of the £125 membership fee right before Xmas.
17 November 2013, 11:34, (This post was last modified: 17 November 2013, 11:38 by Midnitemo.)
No you are right you don't get specific slots(permission)like with an fac, you get a blanket certificate to buy whatever type/ action/ brand/ configuration and calibre you like....you can only be refused if you have a criminal record / you tell the officer something really stupid like I want a shotgun for self defence as i'm a prepper or he's not happy with your security(cabinet)

They do ask what you want it for when they visit....my answer was a bit of rough shooting and clay pigeon.

I believe the criminal record isn't a deal breaker unless its a violent offence but lying is a no no... you must declare anything.
17 November 2013, 12:52,
(17 November 2013, 11:34)Midnitemo Wrote: No you are right you don't get specific slots(permission)like with an fac, you get a blanket certificate to buy whatever type/ action/ brand/ configuration and calibre you like....you can only be refused if you have a criminal record / you tell the officer something really stupid like I want a shotgun for self defence as i'm a prepper or he's not happy with your security(cabinet)

They do ask what you want it for when they visit....my answer was a bit of rough shooting and clay pigeon.

I believe the criminal record isn't a deal breaker unless its a violent offence but lying is a no no... you must declare anything.

I've declared all of my dirty little secrets Smile Even the fine I got off a copper for setting my lip up to him. For the record, I still think he was a wanker then, even more so after he lawfully robbed me of £30.

My only worry is the safe since it's 2nd hand. The guy I bought it off had bought a nice shiny 12 gun cabinet & sold me this cheap to make space so I'm assuming I'll be fine. But until the copper says yes, I still only have the word of the guy who sold it, & it is in his interests to say what I wanted to hear.
17 November 2013, 13:15,
The rules are different for shotguns...only need one lock as opposed to two for fac , as long as its sturdy(most forces like it to be bolted/secured to the structure of the building) out of sight of casual visitors and only you have access to the keys then you should be fine.
17 November 2013, 13:59,
I understand they are not interested in why now but if they do its clays. Because of the way the shotgun cert works if you are asked you only have to apply for one and say it is for clays and once you have your cert you can have as many shotguns as you want. No questions asked. One for clays, one for comp clays, one for rough, one for ducks, one for special occasions.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 November 2013, 14:21,
a SGC is on the agenda in the new year and during next year I'm planning on a OU for clays something that the OH can handle and a pump action. at a later date I'll be looking for a double barrel with the view for "adapting" if the SHTF and RWOL occurs
17 November 2013, 14:26, (This post was last modified: 17 November 2013, 14:54 by Midnitemo.)
My renewal was less than 12 months ago and they asked and they also contacted my referee(never been known before) I come under Merseyside jurisdiction so that may have a bearing on the efficiency/keeness

He also asked me the capacity of the cabinet(how many guns it holds) it's a 3 gun but I told him 6 ... he disagreed until I opened it and showed him 3 shotguns 2 air rifles and about 400 cartridges....the trick is lay the cabinet down on its back and you will get loads of gear/guns in there...I think he asked the capacity incase you buy lots more guns then they may spot check you to see you have them secured properly, can't think of another reason to ask.
17 November 2013, 18:44,
I was going to say the reason as clays & also tell them I'm actively seeking permission to shoot pests (although nothing has come back yet). I've also got my application ready for the local gun club ready so I can show him/her that I intend on doing it by the book & not just getting a gun to never use it.

The guy who I bought the case off reckons it was big enough for 4 guns but I reckon you could fit 5 or 6 in it if you put them in right. I'm only planning on 4 anyway but who knows what the future holds.

After I've been at the club for the 6 months probationary period & shown I'm safe with guns, I plan on applying for FAC as I really fancy the ISSC MK22 .22lr Scar clone. That looks like a lot of fun Big Grin

According to the BASC website they're dropping the snobbery for referees & almost anyone can be a referee after Dec 1st this year.
17 November 2013, 18:46,
Over here, Cheshire, they examined the cabinet and made a note of how many guns it could hold. I would guess that if I exceeded that amount they would ask questions. I don't know if they contacted my referees, I just assumed they had.

Snobbery! It's a way of putting us plebs in our place and making it difficult to get signatures. The only ones we really know are our doctors and they charge for the privilege.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin