Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun
17 November 2013, 19:40,
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun
joining a gun club is not an option for me...i'd spend all my money shooting....been there lost the t shirt of my back lol.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
17 November 2013, 20:00, (This post was last modified: 17 November 2013, 20:03 by Geordie_Rob.)
(17 November 2013, 19:40)Midnitemo Wrote: joining a gun club is not an option for me...i'd spend all my money shooting....been there lost the t shirt of my back lol.

At £125 for membership + gun hire & ammo costs, I don't think I'll be able to afford to go that often. At least not without my own gun & ammo. My long term plan is to build up a stock of ammo over a fortnight (if/when I apply for FAC) & then go & blow it all on the range. If I ever do get the MK22, I'll blow it very quickly Smile

SD, I'm fortunate in the fact that North Tyneside has a large HMRC office & I know 7 people off the top of my head that are civil servants. It's saved a fortune over the years for passport applications for the family & for the SGC.
17 November 2013, 21:12,
stick to .22lr and your money will go a lot further.
17 November 2013, 22:47,
In my experience and that of those I have spoken to, Northumbria can be a bit stringant regards cabinets - I have known them to refuse to issue a cert even though a cabinet was BS 7558 on the grounds that the forces head firearms officer was not happy with it, have known of those checking premises to say they are not happy about this or that (down to one officer saying they were not happy with the welds on a cabinet, which they quickly changed their minds about when asked what welding quals an experience they had and if they would like to have a go on the tig set in the workshop!).

Having said that, I do know some people that have built their own cabinets years ago that still get signed off on renewal, but I would not even bother to make one now for a new application, buying is the way.

Is the cabinet stamped up with the BS symbol or a name etc?

Dont worry about having an alarm on the house - been rare that I have known they have specified you must have one on a SGC - but a lot of people have one nowardays anyway.

What club are you joining?
18 November 2013, 00:36,
Shooting as a hobby can seriously damage your wealth....i got a serious obsession with long range shooting and seemed to spend an awful lot of time at bisley...running some exotic calibre's 300 win mag and .338 lap mag using factory ammo back then .338 was £2.20 a pop.
18 November 2013, 01:21,
(17 November 2013, 22:47)BDG Wrote: In my experience and that of those I have spoken to, Northumbria can be a bit stringant regards cabinets - I have known them to refuse to issue a cert even though a cabinet was BS 7558 on the grounds that the forces head firearms officer was not happy with it, have known of those checking premises to say they are not happy about this or that (down to one officer saying they were not happy with the welds on a cabinet, which they quickly changed their minds about when asked what welding quals an experience they had and if they would like to have a go on the tig set in the workshop!).

Having said that, I do know some people that have built their own cabinets years ago that still get signed off on renewal, but I would not even bother to make one now for a new application, buying is the way.

Is the cabinet stamped up with the BS symbol or a name etc?

Dont worry about having an alarm on the house - been rare that I have known they have specified you must have one on a SGC - but a lot of people have one nowardays anyway.

What club are you joining?

It's not got any branding or markings on the actual cabinet that I can see, however both locks on the door (different key for each) clearly have the British kite mark. If they refuse it over something petty then I'll appeal it. I'll be no worse off than now (no guns) but at least I won't let them fuck me over because they think they can.
19 November 2013, 00:06,
my cabinet was already bolted in place obscuring the manufacturers labeling up aginst the wall , didn't notice the bobby look for it and he didn't ask so that may be the answer....bolt it down and if he asks say there was some labelling on the cabinet but its obscured ... sorry officer! when i lived in Bristol Avon&somerset constabulary had a six gun limit after which they required an alarm system...i moved 25 miles up the road and Gloucester constabulary were much less uptight and helpful...no alarm requirement, every variation i asked for i got , the visiting officer said he wasn't concerned about me putting the guns in a downstairs cupboard and don't worry about fixing it to the structure...i said it was very refreshing to have a more human approach the bobby said gun ownership round there was pretty much every other house and some of the older guy's keep em under the bed!!!! there's obviously a wide variation from force to force how the rules are applied.
19 November 2013, 06:01,
The FLO was as good as gold when he visited me.Top bloke and he was happy to chat about what brands of gun to go for and he even gave me some free coaching advice with regards to lead and the various clay disciplines.

The only thing he really wanted was the cabinet to be secured in the loft and bolted to the brickwork.
Mines a three gun cabinet but I've owned and stored 6 guns in it with no problem.As has been said you can own as many guns as you want as long as you can store them in the cabinet (though I've heard that once you go past ten they insist on more security)

Legally speaking there's nothing mentioned about having to have a gun cabinet for Shotguns.Only that the guns are stored securely,but you won't get your certificate without one,(unless you're in a country mansion with a gun room and are fond of tweed)Wink
19 November 2013, 13:39,
It's good to know that not all coppers are out to say no & some are quite relaxed (to a certain extent anyway).

I've a feeling Northumbria will be quite strict though after that delightful tosser Mr Moat went on his shooting spree a few years back. Only time will tell, I just wish they'd hurry up & get everything sorted.
20 November 2013, 02:12,
(26 September 2013, 23:29)Midnitemo Wrote: definately agree TL i can certainly put more lead down range with the o/u than the pump....reckon on 20+ rounds a minute aimed

You are simply not using the pump properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaElhPSONF8