Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun
20 November 2013, 03:20, (This post was last modified: 20 November 2013, 03:23 by Midnitemo.)
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun
Mort its a section 2 shotgun...2 in the mag one in the chamber like your duck gun's .... my nova as you guys get them in the states are 4+1 standard 7+1 with the mag extension.... the over under with ejectors and manual safety in a mad minute is quicker than our restricted pumps for every scenario but 3 shots

is lena related to the guy who's shit hot with revolvers?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
20 November 2013, 07:05, (This post was last modified: 20 November 2013, 07:07 by Mortblanc.)
You are basing your opinion on the rules in force at the present time, and in the hands of a novice a 3 shot pump might not keep up with a double that was set up just exactly right. We have these same contests over here with our Cowboy Action Shooting and the top guns are the men carrying 1897 Winchesters. They are faster than the doubles even when single loaded, as their rules require.

When Rule of Law ends it ends for you too!

You are carrying today's firearms restrictions into the chaos of SHTF. The rules end and you could have had a ....

That wooden dowel comes out of the mag tube with about 30 seconds work. Every American shotgun is sold with the 3 shot plug installed just like yours. Mine did not even require any tools for removal.

I appreciate the abilities of my single shots, I love the handling qualities of my double guns, but the shotgun standing by the back door is a pump.

Lena is Jerry Miculek's 17 year old daughter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Miculek
20 November 2013, 07:33,
Mort.Our pump and semi auto's have the magazine tube crimped to restrict the capacity.It's not just a wooden dowel .In a shtf scenario it is possible to de restrict a gun,though obviously that's up to the individual to do if and when it's appropriate.I certainly don't advocate anyone altering a gun's capacity while the rule of order still applies.

Speaking of reload speed I could always load my Mossberg 500 and my Auto 5 faster than i could my over/under.Load a cartridge and rack it (the Auto 5 had a speed loader).Load your other two cartridges.Fire 1 or 2 and then slip another 1 or 2 in.That way the gun is never empty.I always found it much faster than having to break a double barrel,regardless if it has ejectors or not.
20 November 2013, 09:16,
(20 November 2013, 02:12)Mortblanc Wrote:
(26 September 2013, 23:29)Midnitemo Wrote: definately agree TL i can certainly put more lead down range with the o/u than the pump....reckon on 20+ rounds a minute aimed

You are simply not using the pump properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaElhPSONF8

Very nice & very quick shooting
20 November 2013, 13:45, (This post was last modified: 20 November 2013, 14:13 by Midnitemo.)
Yeah i've seen the bright orange plastic dowel through the mag spring on a nova in the states but as Talon say's our mags are crimped and very deeply so you couldn't ream the crimp out the only option is to buy a new mag tube but nobody(gun dealers) in the uk will suply one , i shoot with a gun bag(1950's spec canvas gas mag bag) flap fully open and tucked down the back of the bag in effect just a great big dump pocket full of cartidges right where my left hand naturally falls too, have a tacstar side saddle(4 rounds) on the gun and a neoprene stock saddle(6 rounds)on the pump, i can definately get more rounds of with the o/u than the pump , i'd like the pump to be quicker as its my favourite gun but it just isn't in the 2+1 configuration...i think i could probably get the same rate of fire with the pump as a novice would with an o/u shotgun, i've tried the speed loading belt clips and you end up with an odd shell in your hand after dropping one in the tube closing the action(not easy with two shells in your mitt) and palming two in the mag..also these speed loaders when out and about whilst climbing over stuff ,pushing through stuff and going prone on more than one occasion shells have come out and had i not noticed would have been lost.....one last benefit i see to o/u shotguns...i can load an empty one silently.

Sorry , 3 shells left in your mitt

oops again...right where my RIGHT hand falls
21 November 2013, 12:03,
Interesting thread and very informative for members who like me have had very little to do with shotguns. I'd like to ask you folks a question or two regarding ammunition viz shotguns. I realise there are different types of shotgun shell, that contain varying sizes of shot/balls? but what are the effective ranges of the sizes? of shell. Do you have to match the size of the game to your ammunition, or is there a "do all" shell size that will allow you to shoot anything effectively?
21 November 2013, 12:16, (This post was last modified: 21 November 2013, 12:18 by Midnitemo.)
there are suggested shot size for different game species no6 shot for rabbits no5 for hare no7.5 for pigeon.....i aim to standardize on just two cartridges for my stores ..00buck for security/larger game(deer probably although not legal at this time) and 30g no5 shot for smaller game/vermin.

i will only shoot pigeons if there roosting as the cartridges will be to precious to waste.
21 November 2013, 12:25,
(21 November 2013, 12:16)Midnitemo Wrote: there are suggested shot size for different game species no6 shot for rabbits no5 for hare no7.5 for pigeon.....i aim to standardize on just two cartridges for my stores ..00buck for security/larger game(deer probably although not legal at this time) and 30g no5 shot for smaller game/vermin.

i will only shoot pigeons if there roosting as the cartridges will be to precious to waste.
Thanks for reply MM,
Do these two cartridges (no5 & ..00Buck) have the same effective range?
21 November 2013, 12:37, (This post was last modified: 21 November 2013, 12:47 by Midnitemo.)
the no5 in my opinion is good for 40 yds on most of the game i would be shooting and the 00buck i'd say 50yds for security purposes but the pattern of buck would be in excess of 4ft at that range and there are only 9 projectiles so a miss is quite likely out at that range ... the spread is roughly 1 inch per yard from a cylinder bore(no choke)barrel so even though its effective at 50 i'd try to keep it to 30yds just to improve the likelihood of a hit..... this is a very subjective thing and i expect people to argue the toss lol...but these are the parameters i work to.

if you were to shoot a human with no5 at 40yds its unlikely to do more than wound them....not recomended...they'd need to be much closer say 20yds....not that we should be shooting humans,just saying!

No 5 shot is pretty much the jack of all in the uk i'd say.

if you lived somewhere near wildfowl no1 or no3 shot might be useful...geese are tough and take some killing.
21 November 2013, 13:30,
Couldn't you use 00buck for everything given it has more power, or is it too "messy" on game like Rabbits?