Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Revolver
26 September 2013, 18:48,
One Revolver
Here again is an article written from the viewpoint of a rural "back to the lander" in the USA. While most defense handguns sold in the US these days are autopistols, old Boffins like me, and retired cops who carried them still prefer revolvers. In many places former police revolvers are easier to get a permit for when required, than a Rambo Mall Ninja 9mm auto with double-stacked magazine. If it is difficult or illegal for you to own a handgun where you are, consider this as entertainment. I hope it is helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Many people I know in the US who don’t own a gun, are now thinking about buying one, while they still can. These fence sitters, soon to become gun owners frequently ask what ONE handgun they should buy for home defense, home and outdoor protection.

They would never use a handgun for big game hunting, but would carry it when working outdoors, traveling on vacation hiking, fishing, boating or camping trips, and might use it to kill small game for survival purposesand depend on it, if needed, for home or personal defense.

These don't want to acquire a gun "collection." They want only ONE handgun which is expected to serve multiple needs in a family where shooting is not a hobby activity. The foremost requirements are simplicity, safety, reliability, durability, accuracy, and modest cost of gun and ammunition. Also important is ease of use by the "female significant other" or adult children who need to know how to safely hanbdle a gun in the house, and who may wish to learn to use one skillfully, should the need arise.

These parameters haven't changed since Smith & Wesson first introduced its famed Military and Police Model Hand Ejector in 1903. Julian S. Hatcher said, in the Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers (1935), "Were it necessary for the average person to own and use but one revolver, it should be a .38 Special." This advice is still just as true today.

Used .38 Special revolvers in sound mechanical condition are much less expensive in the USA than any new or used, modern combat auto-pistol. Ammunition for the .38 Special is common everywhere and remains relatively inexpensive. Factory .38 Special loads available today provide greater variety than for any other handgun cartridge in America. Today the .38 Special is generally deemed the minimum revolver cartridge which is fully suitable for personal protection.

While the .38 Special is no longer the duty gun of choice among police or military units, it enjoys great popularity in the many US states in which civilian concealed carry is permitted. While it is true that compact pocket revolvers such as the Ruger SP101 and LCR or S&W "J" frames are now available chambered for the more powerful .357 Magnum, using .38 Special ammunition in small revolvers weighing less than about 0.6kg makes alot more sense for a variety of reasons.

While a .22 rim-fire is most often recommended as an outdoorsman's “kit gun,” the owner of our “one handgun” can readily use his .38 Special for field purposes and will find it effective. When trips out in the bush are of only a few days duration short, only a few rounds of ammunition are really needed. I live in rattlesnake snake country,so carry a Speer shot load first-up in the cylinder. The rest of the rounds in the cylinder are +P personal defense hollow points, specifically either the Winchester X39SPD, or Remington R38S12, formerly known as the "FBI load." Three TUF strips fit into into "Blackberry" sized leather belt pouch, stored tabs up, which doesn't look like an ammo pouch, or rattling on your belt, in your coat pocket or day pack. On trips I pack a box of wadcutters too.

I would recommend that the non-enthusiast seeking "one handgun" select a steel-frame, “police-service-type,” double-action .38 Special or .357 having not less than a 3" or preferably a 4" (about 10cm) barrel. I say “or .357” because a “Magnum” revolver of these general specifications can use any .38 Special ammunition, but is more durably constructed, so it won’t "loosen up" with frequent use of .38 Special +P defense loads, which can happen with the smaller, light alloy frame .38s. In states where concealed carry is legal a used 4” service revolver usually sells for about $100 less than a 2” "snubby" in similar condition. Similarly a used .38 Special costs about $50 less than a similar model chambered in .357.

For home defense and military aircrew survival use fixed sights are most rugged, but for accurate field shooting of small game, getting a fixed sight gun to shoot exactly where it points when aiming at a small target, can be propblematic. So adjustable sights are a help. A 4” barrel is easier to shoot accurately, and can still be easily concealed in a proper holster. For concealed carry where legal (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/...led-carry/ most people are well served with an inside-waistband type with reinforced opening which permits one-handed re-holstering. Snubbies” are most popular as concealed carry guns, but I do not recommend that a non-hobbyist buy a snubby. While a short barrel has advantages for weapon retention in close-quarter combat when grappling and rolling around in the mud and the blood, they require frequent practice to maintain proficiency. Please recall that our scenario here is ONE gun for a non-hobbyist.

148-grain lead "wadcutter" target ammunition is good for general use including field shooting. It is accurate, gives a good knockdown blow on small game, and doesn’t destroy as much meat as higher velocity jacketed hollowpoints do. Wadcutters provide fully adequate soft target penetration with good “crush” and are a valid choice for defense carry in "air weight" or alloy-frame guns which cannot handle +P law enforcement ammunition. Novice revolver owners should train and practice only with wadcutters until able to place six shots fired double-action, with a two-handed hold at 5 metres into a 10cm group reliably.

After developing basic skill and attaining some confidence it is OK to experiment with heavier +P loads, in guns suitable for them, to become accustomed to their additional recoil. The Federal 38G and Remington R38S12 158-gr. all-lead hollow-points provide stopping power equal to .45 ACP hardball and represent the upper limit of recoil which the average non-expert person can handle. +P ammo is only for defense against two or four-legged varmints when more power is needed.

Ten years ago the US market was flooded with police turn-in .38 Specials in good condition selling for around $200. When I was in Italy in 2012, a used Smith & Wesson Military & Police model was the best buy, and popular among civilian shooters. But you must shop carefully to find a used police revolver which isn’t worn out. If you don’t know revolvers, educate yourself. In the US you only need to take a retired cop who carried one for 25 years to the store with you and buy him coffee and doughnuts! You do not want to buy into a "gunsmithing project," because you may spend more fixing a "basket case" revolver than it is worth.

Simple is good on your ammunition supply. Use target wadcutters for both practice and carry. In steel frame guns it is OK for actual defense carry to carry factory loaded +P lead hollow point or JHP "personal protection" or law enforcement loads. You may also want to keep a few Speer shot shells around if you live in snake country. These loads really handle all uses for a .38 revolver.

Competent use of .357 ammunition in suitable revolvers requires a higher level of training and expertise which generally departs from our "non-hobbyist" scenario.

The muzzle of a revolver should always be elevated when ejecting fired cases. This ensures that any unburned powder particles fall out with the empties, rather than under the extractor, or between the crane and frame, which could tie up the gun. Carry a toothbrush in your kit for cleaning residue out from under the extractor. If you don't own a handgun, but have been thinking about getting one, you can't go wrong with a sturdy 4" .38 Special (or .357).

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
26 September 2013, 18:53, (This post was last modified: 26 September 2013, 19:12 by Midnitemo.)
RE: One Revolver
model 10 four inch 38spl....would be my one revolver...anybody in my family could use it with the minimum of training , sturdy/understressed and reliable...cheap and easy to reload /cast your own lead , uses hardly any powder , make em on a hand press....this would be my one revolver if we were allowed one here in the uk.

1 lb of propellant could make upto a thousand rounds of .38spl,a thousand pistol primers take up no space at all and 100 quality cases ,set of dies a hand press and a 158grn lrn mould and you could be in business a very long time...and to make me even happier a 20 inch trailsend in .38/.357 as an accompanying peice....i'd be a very happy bunny indeed.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
29 September 2013, 20:50,
Having a rifle and revolver which use the same ammunition makes sense. If I understand your UK firearms law correctly, you are allowed to possess more ammunition for a rifle than is allowed for a revolver. Having both firearms in the same caliber then legally permits somewhat more flexibility.

I find the Marlin 1894C lever action useful for small game and varmints. The rifle’s better accuracy, lower noise, longer range, greater magazine capacity and rapidity of fire are advantages. When used with .38 Special ammunition the .357 lever action has very low recoil and a mild report very little louder than firing a .22LR with high velocity ammunition. Standard velocity .38 Special lead ammunition fired in the carbine is about 150 fps faster than the same ammunition when fired a 4-inch revolver.

Accuracy attainable firing the rifle with iron sights at 50 metres approximates what you can expect firing a fixed sight revolver at 15-20 metres. Using .357 ammunition the Marlin is adequate for average American whitetail deer of 50-70 kg within 100 metres. When fitted with peep sights the lever rifle is more accurate than your average AK, but has a less threatening appearance, which, at least in the US, it is less likely to "scare the natives" than an "Evil Black Rifle" which costs twice as much.

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
29 September 2013, 22:09, (This post was last modified: 29 September 2013, 22:14 by Mortblanc.)
You may find the .38 no louder than a .22lr in your rifle but I find it considerably louder in mine!

My chronograph also tells that the 150 grain lead bullets are nearly 400fps faster out of a 20" barrel than out of the 4"revolver.
29 September 2013, 22:39,
My decibel meter shows that .38 Special 148-gr. wadcutter from the 24" Marlin Cowboy at 895 fps has a peak pressure decibel reading of 89dB measured at 1 metre from the muzzle. The same as Eley Standard at 1065 fps fired from my RUger 10/.22 rifle.

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
30 September 2013, 02:27,
Good bit of data!
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
30 September 2013, 06:37,
Sorry, I do not have a decibel meter, but I do know a rifle from a carbine.

You are shooting a low velocity .38 target wad-cutter (the least powerful 38 available) that only clocks 725fps from a barrel 6" longer than the 10/22.

Talk about stacking the deck!

Did you run out into the yard and make that test in the 25 minutes between my post and your reply?
1 October 2013, 01:35, (This post was last modified: 1 October 2013, 01:54 by Timelord.)
Which is the carbine?? If a standard Ruger 10/22 rifle has a barrel length of 20 inches and the Marlin has a barrel length of 24 inches, I fail to see the point about one being a carbine or rifle or is it the other way round? The point is not clear.
The 38special is a larger calibre round being fired from a longer barrelled gun than the .22 rimfire. Now would this make it louder or not? I suspect possibly louder due to the larger calibre, even though the fps quoted might be less than the Ruger.
A similar scenario is raised with the small .410 shotgun. while the gun itself and the calibre are considerably smaller than a 12 gauge shotgun, the internal barrel pressure generated is higher than that of a 12gauge due to the smaller bore. This does not make it louder than a 12 gauge. In fact it is definitely less loud than a 12 gauge - short or long barrel it does not matter. Usually the shorter the barrel the louder the rapport with any given like for like calibre and ammunition, so that is another factor to be taken into account.

I suppose that if going supersonic with the Ruger, then it will make quite a difference and obviously be louder. I take it the lower fps readings of the Marlin are subsonic? TL
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
1 October 2013, 02:20,
The increase in noise of the 18-1/2" Marlin vs. the 24" is about 10dB, depending upon the ammunition. Standard velocity 158-grain lead which gets about 800 fps in a revolver does about 950 fps with 95dB in the 18" barrel and approaches 1000 fps from the 24" barrel with no significant increase in noise. Generally a longer barrel is quieter because its increased expansion ratio reduces muzzle exit pressure.

Subsonic. 22LR ammunition in a rifle with properly designed moderator will be less than 80dB.1 You are lucky in UK that moderators are not as heavily regulated qas in the US. We can have them, but the procedure is cumbersome, similar to registering a machinegun.

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
1 October 2013, 03:55,
Never put a sound meter on my Sako finfire with eley subs and an old maxim type moderator but the loudest noise in the firing sequence was the firing pin hitting the rim...it was eerily quiet...oh and the thwack when the bullet hit the rabbit....and the loudest report i have ever heard was a .25acp was stood a little to close jeez the muzzle flash and the bang were epic....must have been a home load gone awol.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!