Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decisions, then and now
3 October 2013, 16:56,
Decisions, then and now
Every now and then is strikes me how much prepping has altered me from my upbringing.

I did not grow up in a family where vehicle maintenance was a priority. As long as there was air in the tires and gas in the tank you were in good shape.

Repairs were something one did after being stranded on the side of the road and you called someone else to tow you somewhere to have them done.

Replacement of vital parts, such as tires, was done after the part failed.

I am having tires replaced today, along with normal maintenance of other types, and it struck me that I still have a couple of months left on the present tires, and I am well inside the recommended distance between oil changes, but I just do not want to push the limits.

Besides, these tires are "step two" in the conversion of the small car into a psudoi-expedition vehicle and I have been looking foreword to the purchase, although disappointed in the selections available to me.
3 October 2013, 17:52,
RE: Decisions, then and now
As do most of us. It is fine when you can call someone with spares but less so when you have to do it yourself. Checking your vehicle before every trip will become the norm as well as taking certain spares with you.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 October 2013, 19:46,
i've always been keen on propper maintainence and looking after things to a good standard just not so keen on spit and polish...think it stems from being thrifty and wanting things to last and not break...as a kid i had to save up/trade and scrounge/findBlush stuff i wanted....came from the white trash side of town lol
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
3 October 2013, 22:13,
My father made me learn and taught me how to look after my van , it was easy back then in 68 things were so easy to do yourself , but these days its not at all easy , but still manage to some degree , oil , filters , brakes , and other small stuff ..........I tend to lift the hood and scatch my head a lot these days.
4 October 2013, 05:12,
Ditto SS

Dad and I used to mech our own cars. That experience has served me well over the years.

Alas cars are getting ever more complex. Not long now before they are completely beyond my understanding, other than the basic and simple areas you mention.

I have a strong urge to acquire a good old series 3 diesel landie and keep it forever :-) That's the sort of technology I like.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580