Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toilet Flushing post SHTF
4 October 2013, 13:03,
Toilet Flushing post SHTF
This isn't a glamour and glitz subject, but it's worth hearing.

We're all storing water and the alike. But if you get 1 bucket, that will be good for a few poos.

Obviously we've all looked into digging holes and composting human waste. Well, you can still flush the toilet you know.

If you go to a stream or the alike and pull up a bucket of water, you can probably load up most into the cistern above your toilet, and thus are able to get a flush.

This is not recommended if you live low down a hill and close to a sewage works. Reason being, every toilet will have 1 more flush in it, once TSHTF. If the sewage works isn't working, you'll end up with a back log. Not good.

But if you live a little further up the chain, then you'll be good for a while with no backlog....these toilet phrases seem less than accidental innuendoes at best haha.

What does this mean? It basically means you can keep your stored water for longer, but that you can also enjoy the benefits of flushing water for a while longer.

One further note, you could always pee in the sink (this is mainly a guy thing and not recommended for women...unless utilising a She-Wee, but they're minging). Then use a little water to 'flush' that away and keep your sink area clean.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 October 2013, 13:07,
RE: Toilet Flushing post SHTF
I think you'll find most sewage works will stop working as soon as the power goes off, then people carrying on using the toilet and you get a back log. better to use that water for drinking...more important in my mind than flushing the loo.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 October 2013, 13:24,
met a bird in a pub years ago she asked me back to her house on arival i asked to use the loo she said what do you want to do ,i said a piss she said use the back garden so i did while pissing i thought this is odd so i asked her why she said they had their water cut off so you cant use the loo i asked about having a crap and she showed me .
a binliner taped around the loo you sat on the seat as normal did your bit and after a few days thet changed the bag old one tied up and put in dustbin.

nice Confused
Survive the jive (youtube )
4 October 2013, 13:36,
i'm more concerned that if the sewage plant goes off-line then all that sewage has to go somewhere and will overflow out of the loo and sinks after a few days.
4 October 2013, 14:15, (This post was last modified: 4 October 2013, 14:16 by Binnie.)
you'll probably find it'd lift manhole covers etc first as they are at a lower level than your loo

similar to what can happen in downpours when drains can't cope.

also the comment about sewage works "stopping"

i'll need to do a bit of digging, but i do know someone who who can maybe get the info, i know if there is a breakdown, our local wastewater treatment plant discharges straight to the north sea.

though between our house and the treatment plant is a pumping station, but this is at a very low level near a stream, i dunno if they discharge to the stream in the event of a breakdown, i'll ask the question though

it also is a great idea to use water from a local source, even if it's a stagnant pond, to flush the loo, it might not be "the big one" and you don't wanna start needlesly sh!tting in the back garden lol
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
4 October 2013, 14:52,
The best solution is to stop.

Many of course will carry on and only stop when the water runs out, many will continue by refilling with water like is suggested here.

You may be at the top of the hill but do you really want to have the sewers ovefspilling out on to the street down the hill. Massive hygiene risk and where will they want to go when your waste gets backed out of their toilets.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 October 2013, 14:59,
I've asked the engineers at my local WWTP

they apparently had a 3 day breakdown at the stonehaven pumping station, stonehaven is pumped to aberdeen for treatment

the bypass was opened for those 3 days, all effluent discharged to sea....
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
4 October 2013, 15:20,
Learn to build and maintain a composting toilet before SHTF

http://humanurehandbook.com/humanure_toilet.html

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
4 October 2013, 16:56,
We have our own septic tank, so as long as we have a bucket of water, we can use our toilet as normal for 30 years or more
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 October 2013, 19:53,
(4 October 2013, 16:56)Highlander Wrote: We have our own septic tank, so as long as we have a bucket of water, we can use our toilet as normal for 30 years or more

same here ours will keep working use rain water down loo simple