Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Multi-purpose tools.
5 October 2013, 09:57,
Multi-purpose tools.
Hi everyone

Many people talk about tools that cover more than one job, so it means they can carry less equipment.

Just a quick question about what tools you carry that are multi-purpose and what uses of them you're skilled in.

For example, we all know about multi-tools. these are obvious.

For me, I have a small spanner style set on a keyring size tool, my machete has a saw blade on the spine. These are 2 examples of multi-purpose tools.

I have ordered a tomahawk (something I swore never to do, and BP will be sat at home gloating about me getting one because I was having a go at BP about how I hated them) and in a video (the axe recommendation thread video) I saw it being used in a completely different way that would have reduced the number of tools that I'd need to complete the same amount of work or to product the same effect. Having said that, it may well turn out to be bollocks. I'm still not convinced by them yet, and it'll take a load of testing.

So, I'd love to know your thoughts on multi-purpose tools.

More ideas would be awesome.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 October 2013, 11:30,
RE: Multi-purpose tools.
I don't like multi tools, I was looking at some last week, I think their just a gimmick and will soon break under constant use. I prefer to buy quality tools for a specific purpose that will last if not a lifetime then for many many years, post SHTF we will all require tools of a good standard that we can use again and again.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 October 2013, 12:12,
(5 October 2013, 11:30)bigpaul Wrote: I don't like multi tools, I was looking at some last week, I think their just a gimmick and will soon break under constant use. I prefer to buy quality tools for a specific purpose that will last if not a lifetime then for many many years, post SHTF we will all require tools of a good standard that we can use again and again.

I'd agree with that to some respect definitely for about the home assuming we gone back to subsistance type living

but if you are out and about say on a scavenging trip a quality multitool would be good to carry rather than 2 or 3 separate tools as it would reduce the weight of the tool carrying hopefully making more room for stuff you want to take home. Saying that you do need the multi tool to be well made and of good quality rather than the one's that break as you get them out of the packaging
5 October 2013, 12:49,
Multitools are a compromise but can be a real boon to have in certain circumstances , you can't beat having the right tool for the job as it makes life so much easier but anytool that will work in a given situation is better than no tool, they are so handy as there usually carried on your belt and as for breaking them the branded ones carry a 25year or lifetime guarantee and i've never known one to break, the generic ones vary greatly in quality but some of them are really impressive...for what they cost i wouldn't be without one...saved me loads of hassle on more than one occasion.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
5 October 2013, 13:24,
but as preppers aren't we a bit like the scouts as in "be prepared"??Big Grin most if not all the multi tools I've seen the pliers bit was ok but the rest the scissors and the knives looked like they'd break the first time I used them.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 October 2013, 13:47,
My current leatherman is the Fuse model...its quite basic but very sturdy, the knife holds a wicked edge and all the functions lock in position so no slicing fingers or skinning knuckles...i paid £35 for it in the snow and rock sale think there normally about £50-£60 mine is very plain no screw driver bits to lose not gimmicky at all and built like a brick out house....i also have one i won in a raffle!!!! the sort you see in the hardware shop for a tenner....this is near as good as the leatherman but beware some of the cheaper ones are tat...don't buy one in a sealed box/packet you need to try it/handle it...the rubbish ones are very apparent when you scrutinise them.
5 October 2013, 14:00,
It's good to see people talking. Good feedback, but please don't focus on multi-tools. They are a small element of what I'm looking at. I'm really looking for information on other tools that are multi-purpose, such as the Tomahawk that I've purchased, that can be used as a hammer, battoning/wood wedge, adz, and things like that.
5 October 2013, 14:05, (This post was last modified: 5 October 2013, 14:20 by Midnitemo.)
Most things can be pressed into service in a myriad of way's the best multitool is kept between your ears....your imagination is the only limit to options...improvise and adapt....an oldie but a goody...thats what sets us brits apart.

If i'm knowingly going to do a job then i'll take the correct tools as BP said before the right tools for the job so i have to say there are very few compromises i'd make , wouldn't take a hatchet to fell a tree just because its light and handy, i'd sweat a bit getting it there but i'd take a felling axe to do a better more efficient job...now i might carry a camp axe on an expedition to cover a few possibilities....and yes i would use it to fell that tree should the situation arise whilst out and about.

I can't think of any one tool that performs a number of tasks superbly...to be truly great at its job a tool has to be focused in everyway on its primary purpose...it may have secondary functions by default but there usually sub optimal.

the multitool(leatherman/victorinox/gerber) is a compromise jack of many trades master of none but sometimes its just enough to get you out of a bind.
5 October 2013, 21:22,
Check this out
http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=1553

It won't break! :-)
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
5 October 2013, 22:03,
(5 October 2013, 21:22)Timelord Wrote: Check this out
http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=1553

It won't break! :-)

I remember you making this mate. How have you found it? What's the saw like when in use?