Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Multi-purpose tools.
6 October 2013, 00:55,
RE: Multi-purpose tools.
I use it now and again. It is great for cutting through beef ribs in one blow - for the dogs to eat, a job it was originally designed for so I am not surprised. I have found it pretty ok in other respects and surely indestructible in normal use. I would have liked the prybar end to be a bit thicker/stronger but it is the original thickness. This thickness is ok though for lighter jobs and has some benefits being thinner (and lighter) The carrying of it is great and much more stable than carrying a head heavy axe about. Digging is ok as long as you keep your foot firmly on the back grip cut edge. Any slip here could be a serious issue - BUT this was known about before the final design and was deemed to be safe enough if it was taken into account and care used - a bit like using a knife..
Obviously it is not in the same genre as a leatherman multitool, because it is intended for different tasks. Overall the multi utility function of combining other tools into one is good. the weight saving is excellent. The actual encumbrance reduction instead of separate tools is excellent (separate tools of which I would not be able to satisfactorily carry them all due to weight & encumbrance). The probability of tool failure is majorly reduced by having only the one and by its single forged piece of steel design with integral handle.
The saws work really well - due to the long handle. this gives reach and power if needed, sort of a cross between a bow saw and a hack saw:-). The cut is done on the reverse stroke which works well and is an ancient proved method. I believe it is much less likely to buckle blades this way, which is again much more likely with the hacksaw blades. I have not used the hacksaw blades since my initial trial as I do not wish to disassemble part of the handle to retrieve them unless necessary. The blades are quality bi-metal items though and I have used the type in my normal hacksaw frame without any problems.
The hook has proved useful for pulling branches towards me and for hanging the tool up when not in use.
I have not used the tool extensively and have to be careful taking it out in public and frightening everyone to death - even at bushcraft shows, lol. I expect to get more use out of it next year. It really will come into its own in a PSHTF scenario when I do not have to worry as much about upsetting the neighbours and I expect that as it looks to be an entrenching tool when holstered, then it will not be too intimidating or threatening compared to other items people may be carrying about under those circumstances. This was also a pre design consideration. The shaft hangs close by the left side rear of the leg and also can be tied to the leg so that it moves with the leg and so is far less apparent or not visible directly from the front at first sight. The head sits higher than an axe or sword would conventionally and so the handle does not hang as low. this also minimizes the visual impact. The holster has a quick release pull toggle and the tool can be brought out in one upward sweep if necessary. These little things are all factors that add up to the whole throughout the history of weapon/utility design, so they are interesting & important to me in my studies:-)
There is far too much work in it for it to be commercially viable. As a one off bespoke commission, then yes it is possible. I would have to start by tracking down an original large suitable & quality cleaver and that may take a little time first. A commercial operation could turn these out, made by machine, but they would be out of one homogenous piece of steel, rather than an original role specific grade of soft back with carbon steel hardened edges, so to start off with it would not be of the same quality( also the tempering of the single type steel would need to be differential towards the edge and possibly at other parts of the multitool. The design would likely be "stamped out or laser cut and is unlikely to be forged by a commercial operation. Axes can be as they are relatively simple, but to forge and reshape this multi tool, then the cost would be far higher. I expect a commercial operation would simplify the process all round. The production cost with material would be high and the market would be only a niche one with very limited take up. It has been tried before with commercial grade examples and has not been a success. The best bet is for one off commissions for only seriously interested individuals or D.I.Y. TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"

Messages In This Thread
Multi-purpose tools. - by Scythe13 - 5 October 2013, 09:57
RE: Multi-purpose tools. - by bigpaul - 5 October 2013, 11:30
RE: Multi-purpose tools. - by I-K-E - 5 October 2013, 12:12
RE: Multi-purpose tools. - by Midnitemo - 5 October 2013, 12:49
RE: Multi-purpose tools. - by bigpaul - 5 October 2013, 13:24
RE: Multi-purpose tools. - by Midnitemo - 5 October 2013, 13:47
RE: Multi-purpose tools. - by Scythe13 - 5 October 2013, 14:00
RE: Multi-purpose tools. - by Midnitemo - 5 October 2013, 14:05
RE: Multi-purpose tools. - by Timelord - 5 October 2013, 21:22
RE: Multi-purpose tools. - by Scythe13 - 5 October 2013, 22:03