Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much will you really use?
8 October 2013, 12:56,
How much will you really use?
This is something I always struggle with. How much water will people really need, post SHTF.

There are some CRAZY big numbers flying around everywhere. As far as I can tell, they are just our current levels of water usage, unadjusted. If you see the fatal words in that sentence you'll see where I'm coming from. Current and Unadjusted, are the two you need to query. Really, we're going to be using the same amounts of water?

Each flush of the toilet is about 8 litres. A 5 minute shower as much as 35 litres. A bath is 80 litres.

Both washing and flushing activities will be reduced massively post SHTF. So our water usage will also be hugely reduced.

Washing machines use between 20 and 50 litres. Dishwasher is 20 litres or there about. Average it again and you'll be looking at more stuff you won't be doing much, if at all.

The idea of drinking over 2 litres of water a day is going to really suck! You'll spend loads of time in the toilet.

So, the best way to actually calculate how much water you'll really use is to sit back and turn everything off. Use that as an example, and really see how much water you'll be using up. I have a sneaky suspicion that it'll be much less than you originally thought you'd need.

What's more, consider how much CLEAN water you'll need as opposed to how much water you'll want. Flushing and some cleaning won't require spotless water. You can clean in a stream or the sea pretty well. You won't be spotless, but who cares about that? Dirt is a natural part of the earth, so you should be content with being less dirty after a wash.

Try it out and really work out how much water you'll need, then adjust your storage to what you'll actually need.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 October 2013, 13:08,
RE: How much will you really use?
This is a repeat thread where we suggested the conclusion you came too. No point in repeating the discussion so soon.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin