Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulleys
17 October 2013, 11:49,
Pulleys
Does anyone carry, or have you thought about, the use of pulleys for wilderness survival?

We all have plenty of 550 paracord, but it would make life a lot easier if we rigged up some pulleys, right? You can get light weight pulleys with a 2 ton breaking load, that actually weight very little.

Would love to know people's thoughts on this.

I'm thinking of 3 small pulleys for lifting logs, animal carcasses, and things like that.

What are your thoughts?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 October 2013, 12:01,
RE: Pulleys
i'm thinking of getting a hand winch, mainly for the car Post SHTF for pulling it out of ditches and stuff, but could be used for other purposes. a 2ton one on Ebay is £16.95 with Free Postage.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 October 2013, 12:17,
I've got three different types. One a 12v wich that is meant for the front of a 4x4. The second a set that is designed to go around a tree and pull something towards it. The third is a strap with loops at both end and a handle that shortens the strap. The last twol say they are rated at 2 tons min, the winch 4 tons.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 October 2013, 13:21,
don't suppose you've got a link to the second sort SD? trying to find it on Ebay but not having any luck!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 October 2013, 13:31,
I got mine from Charlies. Not seen one on eBay and that is where I got the others from.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 October 2013, 13:56,
OK thanks.
17 October 2013, 19:04, (This post was last modified: 17 October 2013, 19:10 by Straight Shooter.)
You might try some where they sell chainsaws BP ...tree surgeons use these

Yes S13 I have some pulleys ,I bought them some time back ......can't think where I put them.......I'll have a dig round tomorrow.....thanks for the reminder......SD thanks for no 2 winch ..great idea
17 October 2013, 19:49,
Got a 12000lb winch on the disco, 4 snatch blocks, a host of shackles (Bow & D), and block and tackle chain hoist.
Failure is NOT an option
17 October 2013, 20:05,
I extracted a fiesta van single handed from a swamp using 2 x 1.5t ratchet straps took 4 hours at 6inches at a time...lot of effort but no recovery firms were willing to attend so had to...amazing what you can achieve with a bit of lateral thinking when you're up against it!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
18 October 2013, 21:58,
(17 October 2013, 11:49)Scythe13 Wrote: Does anyone carry, or have you thought about, the use of pulleys for wilderness survival?

We all have plenty of 550 paracord, but it would make life a lot easier if we rigged up some pulleys, right? You can get light weight pulleys with a 2 ton breaking load, that actually weight very little.

Would love to know people's thoughts on this.

I'm thinking of 3 small pulleys for lifting logs, animal carcasses, and things like that.

What are your thoughts?

I had considered this. Some pulleys for use outdoors. Small but robust would be good. I know that "chandlers" stock these type of items for boat rigging. The other posts about winches need putting into a thread about "winches".
The original post is a very useful concept for prepping. These pulleys can be used in a variety of situations and I am sure that somewhere I have seen in a documentary about special forces sometimes using them for crossing rivers. That would mean at least one of the squad must carry some and it is already a tried and tested option. I suspect mountain troops do this also. TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"