Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canning Equipment
17 October 2013, 20:16,
Canning Equipment
I keep hearing about the great canning equipment in the states that we can't get over here except at great expenses. I'm interested in looking at what it is and seeing how useful it would be for us.

What canning equipment is recommended as the best for prepping.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 October 2013, 14:23,
RE: Canning Equipment
I think canning (bottling really - or jarring?) of veg and similar can be easily done but to do the same with meat products, it needs the extra heat of being done under pressure. That's the bit of kit that is almost impossible to find here, the pressure canner. I don't think the right kinds of bottle/jar are easily found here either.

I think HL has a friend visiting the US at the moment on the look-out for one to bring back but they're big and heavy and it may not be do-able...

18 October 2013, 15:39,
I found a canner on eBay looking at £130 think you can get supplies online jars etc. trago mills also sold jars etc
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
18 October 2013, 17:28,
(18 October 2013, 14:23)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: I think HL has a friend visiting the US at the moment on the look-out for one to bring back but they're big and heavy and it may not be do-able...

It was at least a good idea, but we did get an email back from them a couple of nights ago, and confirmed what we all thought,.... with the cost of the canner itself then the weight to bring it back, plus the risk of an import tax,...its a no-goer.

So we will probably look for the best that the UK has to offer and find one with the best customer reviews
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 October 2013, 17:49,
My nan gave me her old tower pressure cooker a few months back so after watching a few youtube videos I thought I'd give it a go.
Problem is the size. The process worked well but I could only fit 4x pint jars in it. It's a 6L I think. Took nearly 2 hours for the 4 tins. Good for an experiment and as there's only me and my GF to can for I could do a few batches on the weekends, or she'll do them while I'm deployed after xmas.

Jars are expensive, although Morrisons sell the pint jars for £1.75 which is the cheapest I've found, come with lids. Replacement lids I found on ebay for £5.95 plus £2.50 delivery for a dozen with rings.
Still on the hunt for better everything, including meat in bulk at a good price. Again Morrisons trumped last week by selling pork shoulder joints for £2.50 a kilo!! Got involved with that!
18 October 2013, 17:57,
I think the cost probably makes it a no brainer, I can buy a lot of canned food for £130! mind you, you can pickle and bottle a lot of stuff, stewed fruit is fairly easy to do, then anyone with a chimney can probably smoke a lot of fresh meat or you can make a home smoker fairly easy, I saw Hugh FW do it on one of his programmes with an old metal barrel!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 October 2013, 18:08,
Agreed BP. I'm a huge carnivore so finding a way to get meat is important to me as i don't very much like fish. But I have a lot of tuna in tins as I know in a crisis I either eat it or starve and dry my eyes later!
18 October 2013, 18:12,
I LOVE fish, I was brought up by the sea and we had it at least once a week, got a good supplier of fresh fish in our local weekly market, when he's got Mackerel I always get a few. I love meat too-really must do more with roadkill!(well at least its FREE).Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 October 2013, 01:57,
(18 October 2013, 15:39)PreparednessUK Wrote: I found a canner on eBay looking at £130 think you can get supplies online jars etc. trago mills also sold jars etc

A pressure canner?

19 October 2013, 09:49,
Yeah it was a proper pressure canner. Would a dehydrater be a viable option you can dry meat and veg then vacuum seal. I got a sealer from lidel for £20
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles