Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Herbal Quick Clot
10 January 2014, 00:33,
RE: Herbal Quick Clot
QuickClot and Celox Haemostatic agents are effective clotting agents whether in powder or bandage/sponge form. The likelyhood of a major "whole-system" clot is negligable.

I have seen Haemostatic agents used on a pig who was cut open and whose heart was still beating. It stopped bleeding in around 20 seconds.

Believe me, if you have a MAJOR bleed, you would be happy with Quickclot or Celox. Certainly if it is a case of life or death. If its powder, beware of eyes. It is not a problem at all to clean the wound in A+E or even PSHTF, in a local first aid point. Careful irrigation with saline will do the trick.

"Herbal" quickclot (!!!) will STING LIKE HELL. I wouldn't use it.

Israeli Bandages are brilliant but they are not clotting agents. They are 'pressure' bandages. Release the pressure and the bleeding continues.

If I didn't have anything else at all, I would go to the kitchen and get some form of g, gelling agent extracted from a type of red algae - Used in cooking - not sure what it would do to the human body but if someone is about to snuff it then have a go

Allons-y
21 April 2017, 16:55,
From The People's Pharmacy;
Both Cayenne pepper and Black pepper work as blood clotting agents ( Page 604) also on their website.
There are a number of accounts of using black pepper but the shortest one is this.
Soon after reading about black pepper I cut myself opening a letter.I immediately plunged my finger into a small tin of black pepper and in an instant the bleeding stopped.It didn't burn or hurt.
A longer account reports the size of the cut across the ball of a thumb to have been down to the bone and 3 inches long,the bleeding stopped immediately and the pain a couple of minutes later.Treatment at ER was so painful,he left and put more black pepper in the wound to once again stop the bleeding which had restarted due to ER treatment and bandaged it up again.The wound healed,unstiched and without a scar, no sepsis occurred at all.
21 April 2017, 20:27,
Try http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/

and use the search function for--Stop Bleeding- you will find a lot of alternatives that work,including,black pepper; cayenne pepper; powdered sage leaves and others as well.
Hope you find this interesting.
22 April 2017, 15:42,
So we can scrap proven 'quick clot' and just issue pots of pepper to our troops, it will save millions.
ATB
Harry
22 April 2017, 17:32,
I think I heard somewhere that superglue actually came from a type of stitchless wound dressing developed by the Americans for their troops during the Vietnam War. Wonder if the superglue we have now would do the job or would it contain too many toxins?
22 April 2017, 18:34,
No Lac, it was developed to use in bomb sites IIRC. Don't use superglue, some brands have a thermal reaction and may cause tissue damage. Quick Clot et al are fine on a battlefield where you can get a casualty back to medical facilities and the trained staff can dig the stuff out of the wound. Have a search around and you'll find that tests/research have shown that direct pressure and maybe tourniquets are just as effective when used correctly.

You can buy medical grade 'super glue' (I have some myself) but its not cheap.
ATB
Harry
22 April 2017, 18:35,
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/...ent-twice/
ATB
Harry
22 April 2017, 21:06,
(22 April 2017, 18:35)harrypalmer Wrote: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/...ent-twice/

That's interesting Harry, I see it was used as a field dressing during the Vietnam War but not actually developed for that purpose, which is probably the part I had heard.

The Quick Clot sounds like a very useful item to have stored. If you wouldn't mind me asking, where do you get yours from, how much does it cost, and for how long does it remain useable when stored?
23 April 2017, 00:50,
Quik Clot and Celox both have UV indicator which aids medical personnel in irrigating and cleaning it out of wounds.

Plant materials like pepper and sage require mechanical debridement to ensure complete removal of foreign material in the same manner as removing dirt and debris from a contaminated wound.

Celox and Quik Clot are MUCH easier to deal with.

Celox is much safer for untrained people to use and causes fewer complications.

Quik Clot is also very effective and when used in the pre-treated gauze such as the Sport 25g Compress widely sold over the counter in the US, is relatively safe, but the loose granular material is NOT recommended unless you have been trained in its proper application and use.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
23 April 2017, 06:45,
DO NOT buy QC/Celox in powder form (you can pick it up cheap on ebay), if your in a rush and rip open the powdered version its the last thing you want to blow in your eyes.

Charles, army medics told me that Celox et al are a pain to deal with post event, so I would say stick with direct pressure and the likes of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMRklQkfDLE

LAC, the 'glue' I have is Dermabond but there are cheaper alternatives available, search Dermaflex.
ATB
Harry