Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Securing your EDC bag
23 October 2013, 19:20,
Securing your EDC bag
Had a small problem at work.

Left my desk to do something at the other end of the lab, got back to find one of my co-workers going through my EDC bag looking for a calculator.

Now, apart from the fact that it didn't ask first (and complaining to the boss just got the reply that "I have to be tolerant of other cultures, it might be the way they do things over there") has anybody got any ideas of securing my bag so that stuff doesn't get pinched out of it ?

Got to keep OPSEC though- if they see a big bike lock, they'll just grab the bag.
Sodomi Non Sapiens.
23 October 2013, 21:07,
RE: Securing your EDC bag
I carry a small ruck sack in my works van and I have put small locks through the holes in the zip handles,.. nothing that a person couldn't break very easily, but is enough to stop the casual looker, and some of these little locks are hardly big enough to spot at all

Other than that, maybe a bag inside a bag, with the inside bag locked
A major part of survival is invisibility.
23 October 2013, 21:12,
i have a locker at work and i'm never more than 10m from it but just as useful for me is my car is only 20m away in a secure compound and i can see it from my workstation...very rude to just go in your bag,did you complain to the colleague?...locker probably the best option if you have one.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
23 October 2013, 21:39,
Is there any way you could keep your stuff in a smaller locked bag in your backpack? Like the Maxpedition organisers or something like that? Possibly something like a small toiletries bag you could padlock? But that's not really going to keep the whole bag from being stolen.

Personally I have my EDC mostly on my keyring. It's not small, but I have it with me always. Then I have 'back-up' items (2 is 1 and 1 is none, kind of idea) in my bag. Would that be an option for you?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 October 2013, 23:21,
If that is acceptable practise where you work then you can't leave it around. Request a locker or leave it in the car.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 October 2013, 23:29,
I use a console mounted vault which the dealer installed in my vehicle which is used to secure my pistol and EDC gear when I must enter a area where I am not permitted to carry them.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/cat...p-893.html

There are trunk (boot) mounted ones also.

A common expedient is to install a long shackle bicycle lock through the magazine well of the pistol, and secure it with a looped steel cable inside the trunk around the fuel tank filler pipe or spare tyre bracket. A military steel ammunition can containing your small items can be secured the same way, either in the vehicle boot or under the drivers seat anchoring iut to the seat mounting bracket(s).

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
24 October 2013, 08:33,
Cable Ties on the zips you have eyes only stuff. I have a pack with two compartments the one with the goodies in I cable tie. Leave one open for your lunch
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
24 October 2013, 09:35,
i'd have asked him/her what he/she thought they were doing? going through someone else stuff is tantamount to theft where I come from! if that happened any place I worked(it never did) they'd have got a gob full!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 October 2013, 09:53,
A firm and well placed back hander across the chops is in order.

Leave it in your car matey, your boss may have had a different view should your co-worker have pulled out a fixed blade or other assorted goodies.
I'd complain to HR though, being foreign doesn't mean you can do what you want, there are rules to follow.
25 December 2013, 01:26,
I appreciate this thread is a couple of months old now, but what happen was not acceptable.

Have you looked at any of the PacSafe products such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacsafe-TravelSa...ds=pacsafe

which could be secured and then put inside your normal back pack.

Or:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacsafe-Ventures...ds=pacsafe

Or even a motion activated bag alarm:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TripNeeds-Alarmi...ds=pacsafe