Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water experiment, shower purifier
24 October 2013, 07:11,
Water experiment, shower purifier
Just a quick note on an idea and also a request for other opinions.

I got a solar shower around the time of the most important day in human history (my birthday haha) and I was just thinking about whether you'd need to use a few things.

Firstly, clean water. If the temp of the water gets high enough, that will sterilise it, but also if it's not going in your eyes or mouth, you shouldn't get an infection from it. Unclean water on your skin doesn't do much unless you have cuts.

Secondly, a filter. As long as you use something like cheese-cloth when pouring the water into the shower bag, that should remove the majority of particulates.

These are the 2 things that I think could really help ease the effort of life post SHTF. You can just pull water out of the stream, get the bag up a tree, by using the pulleys I spoke about in another thread, and then shower. Simple. Granted there is a gap of a few hours where the bag is sat there heating up, but you get the idea.

What are your thoughts on this?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 October 2013, 07:38, (This post was last modified: 24 October 2013, 07:40 by SecretPrepper.)
RE: Water experiment, shower purifier
I wouldn't of thought the water would get hot enough to fully purify it. That said on a sunny summers day the water in those things does get hot.
You can hang them in your garden if you get a strong hook and attach it to brickwork.

Plus in winter over night it will freeze and weaken the plastic. Bring it inside.
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

24 October 2013, 07:40,
yeah i thought the water would have to get above 82c to sterilise the water, i dunno if a solar shower would be able to do that?
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
24 October 2013, 08:06,
We have one of these solar showers,...yet unused I hasten to add,..

I doubt that they would ever get that hot as to purify the water

As for bad water,.. well I would only use if I had a running source available, river/stream,..so the water would never be in such a state as to do me any harm

If you were in any doubt a couple of drops of bleach in the water would sort it out
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 October 2013, 09:00, (This post was last modified: 24 October 2013, 09:06 by BeardyMan.)
I've had one of these for yonks. Sat around unused until this summer. I was filling it up in the morning, then leaving it in the sun all day. Around 1500 I tried the temp and was most disappointed. Luke warm at best. You could use it as a shower, but it's certainly not nice and warm

Mine's only a cheap one from The Range, but I can't imagine that any of them are going to be THAT much better? I think they need a larger surface area.

There is a solar kettle that is supposed to be quite good, but I've not heard from anyone in the UK having great results.

And I completely missed the point of the thread then.

If you're not drinking it, nor covered in open boils or festering wounds then you should be alright without a filter.
24 October 2013, 11:12,
I've got one as well. It does warm up but it takes a while and the best you get is a warm shower. Not hot enough to sterilise anything and you don't need a filter.The holes will clog up if you use dirty water. Rain water is fine or from a stream just make sure it doesn't have any big bits in.

It may be a disappointment now but when there is little elseit is luxury to have something warm. Although not for long as they don't hold much..
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 October 2013, 11:16,
just keep your mouth shut while showering and don't leave the water in there for the next day if you don't use it...warm water in a darkened container is superb bug breeding facility...post shtf i wouldn't waste a tab on it but pre i might.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
24 October 2013, 22:34,
I have one .....not tryed it out yet , I very much doubt it would get to a temp to do much good other than a warmish shower.....that will do for me tommy!