Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tent mods
24 October 2013, 07:20,
Tent mods
Just a quick thought I'd like to put forward.

Does anyone else have any tent modifications? One of the things I like to do is change up my guy lines, but I'm doubling them up because of the puppies. Getting lighter poles is also a great way to make sure you have spares, but also makes carrying your tent much easier.

For the Basha, I'm looking at adding a small zipper LED light, to make it easier to find in the dark (stole that idea from some of the Dartmoor lads).

I've seen some videos where people have added small porch areas to their tents, or changed the front door 'panel' of their tent so that it opens in a different way. I've even seen modified tents that have 'side doors' on both sides, because the owner is obsessive compulsive haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 October 2013, 09:10,
RE: Tent mods
(24 October 2013, 07:20)Scythe13 Wrote: Just a quick thought I'd like to put forward.

Does anyone else have any tent modifications? One of the things I like to do is change up my guy lines, but I'm doubling them up because of the puppies. Getting lighter poles is also a great way to make sure you have spares, but also makes carrying your tent much easier.

For the Basha, I'm looking at adding a small zipper LED light, to make it easier to find in the dark (stole that idea from some of the Dartmoor lads).

I've seen some videos where people have added small porch areas to their tents, or changed the front door 'panel' of their tent so that it opens in a different way. I've even seen modified tents that have 'side doors' on both sides, because the owner is obsessive compulsive haha.

Little hook type arrangement on the inner roof of the tent - somewhere to hang your torch.
24 October 2013, 09:11,
I've not modded any of my tents but if I was I would make sure that any stitching was appropriate to it's function e.g. a new anchor point for guy lines would be made as close to or beyond the spec of those on the tent already but a new pocket would need a lot less.

finally any stitching would need plenty of seam sealer to ensure that you don't compromise the water proofing of the tent
24 October 2013, 09:17,
Chuck the nylon away and get yourself under some canvas. It's good for the soul.
24 October 2013, 10:20,
I just kept looking till i found a tent with all the spec i wanted....probably could've bought something cheaper and modded it but that usually weakens the overal product as we don't nescesarily have the skill's or the machines to add these mods adequately...took a while but i found my dream backpacking tent and it has everything mentioned in this thread already , lamp tag , glow in the dark zip tags alloy poles and pegs inner pockets option to use just the footprint/flysheet only in decent weather glow in the dark guy's,lots of em......i'd rather shop around lots than mess with the build integrity.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
24 October 2013, 15:25,
(24 October 2013, 09:17)BeardyMan Wrote: Chuck the nylon away and get yourself under some canvas. It's good for the soul.

i love canvas its smell, the feel the solidity i just can't be arsed to hump it any distance....for a long term camp absolutely but if i'm on the move then no.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
24 October 2013, 15:33,
got an old Blacks Ridge tent, its got a central ridge pole to hang things off!!Big Grin the poles are modified to a certain extent as the old aluminium poles bucked in high winds and I replaced them with spare poles from another (different) tent!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 October 2013, 15:58,
(24 October 2013, 15:25)Midnitemo Wrote:
(24 October 2013, 09:17)BeardyMan Wrote: Chuck the nylon away and get yourself under some canvas. It's good for the soul.

i love canvas its smell, the feel the solidity i just can't be arsed to hump it any distance....for a long term camp absolutely but if i'm on the move then no.

Yeah, I have the 5 meter SoulPad. That's ridiculously heavy. Then the frontier stove to go in it doesn't help with the weight. Fine for car camping, but not much else.

Still on the lookout for a canvas tarp though!
24 October 2013, 16:20,
(24 October 2013, 07:20)Scythe13 Wrote: Just a quick thought I'd like to put forward.

Tent pegs - these used to have nice pointy ends so would go into the ground easy (particularly good if ground is hard), now (prob because of H&S) they are flat. I sharpened a load a few years ago and now can't find them, oh hum.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
24 October 2013, 20:07,
LAC, I know I-K-E has some crazy cool tent pegs. Plastic, but really strong (they'd have to be to hold up his palace tents).
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin