Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Click Hand Warmers
24 October 2013, 07:27,
Click Hand Warmers
Hi everyone.

Have you ever tried those hand warmers that have a small metal 'button' that you need to click, to activate the hand warmer? Personally I'm a fan of them, pop one into a sleeping bag just before you climb in, and you're going to be climbing into an already toasty bag. Lovely feeling.

To 'recharge' the hand warmer you need to boil it. Well, this is the main reason for my post. I have often found them great to use, but when boiling water for my cuppa-soup (I'm a huge CS fan when camping) I like to add my used hand warmer into the water, then when the water is boiling, I take the hand warmer out, fully 'charged' and ready for reuse (once it's cooled, of course), and then adding my cuppa-soup powder. Or adding the water to a hot chocolate, or coffee, or whatever.

The point I'm making is, as long as the handwarmers are boil to reuse, you can pop them into any boiling water. Even if you're just boiling water to drink later, add a hand warmer...you already have boiling water, so make the most of it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 October 2013, 07:41,
RE: Click Hand Warmers
i've got a zippo one, in theory it should run off of petrol, in a mad max kinda way lol.

where do you get the "boil in the bag" handwarmers from? i've seen them but never knew if they were any use or not
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
24 October 2013, 08:16,
Yes got some of those a few years back mine gave up working after 5 or 6 times, but a good idea.
Failure is NOT an option
24 October 2013, 11:18,
They don't last forever but what does. Always worth having a few though.

Maybe after recharging if you put it in your sleeping bag then get more uses from it. If you had kids, recharge the warmers, put the hot wrmers into the kids sleeping bags and let them warm it up as the kids drink some chocolate ready for bed. They would be like hot water bottles then, mini ones.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 October 2013, 11:20,
i have used them and was impressed ... got a couple left from a tenpack,may try em see if they still work.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 October 2013, 09:21,
I use them. I have found in the past that they can get triggered in storage if you are not careful so I now keep them in a small clip top sandwich type box to protect them from knocks. They very occasionally still get triggered but much less often.
26 October 2013, 15:14,
(26 October 2013, 09:21)Dorset Lad Wrote: I use them. I have found in the past that they can get triggered in storage if you are not careful so I now keep them in a small clip top sandwich type box to protect them from knocks. They very occasionally still get triggered but much less often.

I've not found that but now I'm wondering if the times I went to get them and they needed recharging wasn't because the others were lazy gits as they denied putting them back used. I should get rid of this thread to hide my guilty secret. Smile
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 October 2013, 01:24,
Yes I have seen them. I might get some soon because they are much better than disposable hand warmers.

Might be idea to create a thread which lists the most cheapest prepper items. That way we create a good resource for everyone and it could bring people to the site.
27 October 2013, 08:33,
You don't need to click the thing inside, you can trigger them with a small tap on a hard surface or a flick of the fingers.
27 October 2013, 11:58,
(27 October 2013, 08:33)Dorset Lad Wrote: You don't need to click the thing inside, you can trigger them with a small tap on a hard surface or a flick of the fingers.

I found that when tapping my jacket to see which pocket my phone was in. Suddenly I felt it getting warm.

Good post. I forgot to warn people about that.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin