Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will you hide yourself?
24 October 2013, 17:26,
How will you hide yourself?
How do you intend to hide yourself in the event of shtf?

Whether you are bugging in in your suburban home, or if you intend to bug out to a safer place, or if you are lucky enough to live there already, how will you avoid drawing attention to yourself?

Do you want refugees and later roving bands to look at your house and dismiss it as empty or not worth breaking in to? Do you want them to never be able to find it, because of distance, obscure location or natural barriers? Or maybe you have a creative idea you want to share, (like a hidden tree house, who'd think to look up?)

As a side note, I'm interested in building my retreat and self sufficiency set up very covertly, with hedges and general difficulty of access preventing anyone from stumbling across it, in a plot of woodland, and living close by in rented accommodation. If I can't hide it from all seeing eye of building regulation, I doubt it could hide from the golden horde.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
24 October 2013, 18:15,
RE: How will you hide yourself?
You raise some good points, but discussion of countermeasures will soon get into facets of "tradecraft" which are better not discussed on an open forum such as this one. So, instead I provide a few "open source" links which contain useful info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc8OsyjyIkQ
http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/afte...sion/28356
http://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/esca...vironment/
http://get-urban-survival-skills.blogspo...vival.html
http://www.pipehitterstactical.com/class...asion.html

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
24 October 2013, 18:30,
I think it would be difficult just to hide away. If your in a city block you could make your place look looted and therefore not worth looking at ( google selco )
I think if your in a rural setting having a strong community of group would be the key
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
24 October 2013, 20:47,
While bugging out, we intend to maintain as low a profile as possible via camouflage, but also by using low profile equipment. One of the main things we are looking at is advantageous positions with good lines of site. The idea is so that we can see anything heading in our direction.

As for the house, we're taking a risk and going to have to make it look like all the others. But it kind of depends how bad things get.

Also, keeping a distance is a great thing, but means you can have a much larger horizon to watch.

Genuinely, this is something we're still looking at trying to sort out. We have looked at France and the alike, moving out into the middle of nowhere just to be 'safe'. But it's an ongoing thing. If we can get far out and our own land, we'll be looking at low profile property, easy to disguise, e.g. near a forest for camo netting use, so as to hide it from a distance and get it to merge into the natural surroundings.

Same while bugging out really, want to have good lines of sight, but also be able to merge into the background, camo clothing, dark coloured tents and camo-netting again, edge of forest, etc.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 October 2013, 21:10,
I have a plan , but I will not share it here, if I bo to my bol that is out the way hidden , good vision 360 ,water supply, not visable till your right on it, like most here I will be laying very low for as long as is possible , only moving at night with my night vision scope.
25 October 2013, 11:28,
Thanks for your responses so far guys
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
25 October 2013, 11:57, (This post was last modified: 25 October 2013, 12:02 by Midnitemo.)
I'm not happy with either of my bug in locations as there both quite vulnerable so I plan to stay covert as long as possible and once i'm discovered I intend to go loud very loud and attempt to dominate the area from that point on.....unless I can get a move together pre shtf then i'll modify the plan again

That's assuming we survive the first contact and are in a fit state to go on the offensive....bug out if not.

That's assuming we survive the first contact and are in a fit state to go on the offensive....bug out if not.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
25 October 2013, 16:57,
We'll be bugging in, but no lights showing at night and as few "signs of life" as possible (yes, the dog will have to go out and undoubtedly will bark if someone comes on the property). We'll just be keeping a low profile.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
25 October 2013, 17:05,
I think most people will be bugging in, showing no lights, cooking after dark, keeping a low profile that sort of thing, I don't subscribe to the "golden horde" school of thought-might happen in the US but I think our sheeple will mostly stay put-not roaming far from where they live-even in the cities. i'm lucky in that I live in a remote area far from any major city.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 October 2013, 18:48,
Although I have often said that I am very happy where we live, it was purchased with prepping in mind.

The trouble is, that we also have to live in the world as it is now, and because I was aware of the rising costs of electricity and heating many years ago, I put in plans to do something about it

Two parts of these plans will stick out like a sore thumb if the shtf

I have a roof full of solar panels, and a 1kw wind turbine,..[or will have in a couple of weeks, we are in the process of putting it up now ]

We are not expecting many people to be moving passed this place ashtf, but for anyone who does, our place looks very inviting,... a bit of a worry

What I am hoping for is that people know that if the power is out, then so are the solar panels, which are grid tied,... but the wind turbine will be completely off grid, so if the shtf, the tower will be lowered during the day and raised at night,...its about the only thing we can do, we cant really disguise it

I remember Mort saying `keep the dogs fit n healthy`,...lol, thats one thing we do plan on, people dont like approaching our gates now
A major part of survival is invisibility.