Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tomahawk Mods
24 October 2013, 22:42,
Tomahawk Mods
After my initial use of the Cold Steel Trail Hawk, I (and everyone else on Dartmoor) proved to be very unimpressed with the performance of the tool.

This lead me to checking out why everyone raved about it so much. It seems, from reading reviews and watching videos, that everyone uses them as a boy-racer uses a car. As something to modify and make look cool, even if it performs the same as always.

So, there we have it. The next step on my education of Tomahawking...learning to modify a T-Hawk, and also how to use it properly too haha.

So, mods so far...sanded and oiled the handle, plus have paracorded up a section of the handle, just below the axe head. This is to stop slippage, but also to add padding for the handle incase you do get a good contact and end up hitting a part of the handle on the actual 'chopped' item. Also, it's a pretty cool storage of a load of paracord. I'm thinking about cording up most of the handle. Also thinking of a drilled hole, for a lanyard style thing at the bottom of the handle. Maybe a hole at the top to feed paracord through, so that I can wrap the head a few times, old flint T-Hawk style.

After that, a bit of blade sharpening and cutting a few angles onto it for different purposes, e.g. skinning.

I quite like the black over the metal of the handle, but I've seen some cool mods where people have made a brilliant shine on the metal of the tool. Might look at it in the future, but at the moment, liking the darker look.

Do you have a modded T-Hawk, and if so, what do you recommend?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
24 October 2013, 23:15,
RE: Tomahawk Mods
Sounds like you are making your own rather that having a bought one. Is it worth it?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 October 2013, 23:40,
(24 October 2013, 23:15)Skean Dhude Wrote: Sounds like you are making your own rather that having a bought one. Is it worth it?

The brutal answer is, I doubt, after all this effort, it will be as versatile as my Smith n Wesson big knife. Already the price of it, at full retail is double what I got my SnW SaR knife for (but that wasn't the retail rate). As a project, it's brilliant fun, and I'm learning about tools and the alike. So, as a lesson and project, I'd say it's worth it. If you're after a versatile tool, at my current level of T-Hawk uses-skill, and the state the T-Hawk came in, I'd say NO WAY!!! Get a medium to large knife, like a Ka Bar.

The skill set you can master a T-Hawk to is exceptional though. So I will persevere with learning to use it well. There is something novel about running around with it in your hand. But as a survival tool....I think I'm nowhere near even 'reasonable' with using it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 October 2013, 07:23,
I have a modern kukri that performs tomahawk tasks but with imho better weapon qualities.....tomahawks are a bit limited I prefer a proper axe mate....was watching to see how you got on then maybe I would look again but I think i'll stick with the kukri and the hultafors trail axe for now.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
25 October 2013, 07:33,
I just got a spike hawk mainly as a fighting tool. Have an old ww2 fire and tomohawk for the rough stuff made of one piece of steel
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
25 October 2013, 10:32,
Can't beat a Small Forest Axe.

I have a hand forged tomahawk, made by Biker on BCUK. Lovely bit of kit, but just can't hold it's own against the SFA.
25 October 2013, 10:45,
(25 October 2013, 10:32)BeardyMan Wrote: Can't beat a Small Forest Axe.

I have a hand forged tomahawk, made by Biker on BCUK. Lovely bit of kit, but just can't hold it's own against the SFA.

Am I wrong in believing tomohawks original use was for fighting and light utility use not heavy work
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
25 October 2013, 20:25,
Tomahawks make for great weapons but poor tools.A good quality hatchet will serve both purposes much better. I've owned a Gransfors (sadly now sold when i needed spare cash) and i still own a custom made spike hawk by Butch Silver.The hawk throws lovely and would be very effective for close in fighting,but as an everyday tool it's poor.It doesn't have enough wedge for splitting and the spike means you can't baton with it (handy for opening tins i suppose)
25 October 2013, 23:22,
(25 October 2013, 10:45)PreparednessUK Wrote:
(25 October 2013, 10:32)BeardyMan Wrote: Can't beat a Small Forest Axe.

Am I wrong in believing tomohawks original use was for fighting and light utility use not heavy work

Yup, pretty much.

I'd rather have the axe in a fight.
No spike on the back on the hawk I have, so can use for batoning / hammering if required.

Wife sent me a link to the Cold Steel Pipe Hawk, so I think Mr Claus may drop that round Christmas time. Perfect meeting of war and peace.