Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cultural items you hope to save?
31 October 2013, 23:08,
Cultural items you hope to save?
I was reading Seneca earlier on and it made me think how that is one of the books I would really hope to save for future generations if TSHTF.

In the film The Day After Tomorrow, the librarian tried to save the Bible, not because of what he believed, but because of the printing press it represented and how that effected society.

Are there any pieces of literature that you believe should be saved, or that you are planning on saving, memorising, or copying, for future generations?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
31 October 2013, 23:11,
RE: Cultural items you hope to save?
1984 by George Orwell - a lesson in how not to run a society
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
1 November 2013, 09:54,
Roman farm management by Marcus Portius Cato
The Bowyers Bible 1-5

To be honest I have most of the classical Loeb library anyway, so if any peasants want a bit of culture I could assist themBig Grin
1 November 2013, 10:06,
As many as I can. I have a lot of the classics in paperback. I'll keep adding as I find them as well and,of course, I keep adding to my PDF storage.

I couldn't pick just one.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 November 2013, 10:06,
culture-what culture??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 November 2013, 12:27,
As SD said, as many as possible.

I have over 7000 books in my library.

Culture is a manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

Or in Big Pauls case the result of rubbing his y fronts on a petri dishRolleyes

WaylanderCool
1 November 2013, 12:36,
like I said culture- what culture? most humans these days can do little more than grunt !and some of their habits are positively gross! apart from breeding which they seem to be able to do in abundance, they have no redeeming qualities.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 November 2013, 12:38,
The books on my shelf are all instructions or factual books. for my BoB or whatever i will put a load of documents on how to's. most of which i got from the forums here.

I don't really have any cultural significant books
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

1 November 2013, 12:39,
Some heathens will burn them for heat some will wipe there butt's on the pages but i will cherish them as a font of knowledge and escapism from whats likely to be a pretty tough and dreary existence
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
1 November 2013, 14:37,
I collect old books whenever I can find them. I have a couple old dictionaries- the kind that are like 5 inches thick. Got into this because I feel we are quickly losing our language and ability to concisely express ourselves. That is doubleplus ungood.

My prized book is one my grandfather used. He was a top notch master machinist before retiring. Anyway, he gave me a machinist book he got in the 50's showing all kinds of calculations and such. Keep in mind this was before calculators and everything had to be figured out manually. I don't understand most of it, but the information is just too precious to be tossed in the trash. I keep it in the tool box he also gave me and think of him everytime I see it.