Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reloading ?
1 November 2013, 09:38,
Reloading ?
Who does and who doesn't ?

I reload, simply because my own reloads are more accurate in my rifles than anything I can purchase.

I started reloading when I purchased a 6mmPPC. Factory ammunition for this is rare as rocking horse shit.

On the plus side, home reloads are far cheaper than factory rounds and if you know what you are doing more accurate.

I also like the idea of being semi-self sufficient in the production of ammunition.

WaylanderCool
1 November 2013, 09:48,
RE: Reloading ?
I sort of reload my own ammo, my ammo being arrows, and the reason is for the same ones as you pointed out, far more accurate and cheaper, it's the only way to goBig Grin
1 November 2013, 12:11,
i only ever reloaded pistol calibres for simplicity and the fact that .38spl and .357 mag are so chuffing dear over the counter when you consider the cost of the component parts involved...nice to recycle the brass too...thats the hippy lurking within lol
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
1 November 2013, 12:11,
I reload so that I can use cheap cast bullets at low velocity in my .308. I also reload 12g shotgun, because I can't buy a decent subsonic cartridge.
1 November 2013, 12:17, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2013, 12:18 by Midnitemo.)
I stupidly gave away my dies and press when i gave up my FAC in hindsight i should've kept them for potential future use.

are you shooting .308 sub? how do you stop them keyholing?
1 November 2013, 12:26,
I do a little reloading. Want to get more into it next year.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 November 2013, 14:34,
(1 November 2013, 12:17)Midnitemo Wrote: are you shooting .308 sub? how do you stop them keyholing?

My rifle has quite a fast twist at 1 in 10", it works reasonably with 165grn cast heads over 11grn of Trailboss, but prefers to be driven faster.
1 November 2013, 19:59,
I got roped into helping a friend try and develop a heavy subsonic .308 load...wanted my help cos i had a 26 inch barrelled L42A1 at the time and he wanted to try the longer barrel to see if it could get the bullet spinning adequately to stop it tumbling , never managed subsonic but got it stable at about 1300fps with a 180 grain bullet ... just over half the normal velocity of 147grn radway.
1 November 2013, 22:52,
(1 November 2013, 19:59)Midnitemo Wrote: I got roped into helping a friend try and develop a heavy subsonic .308 load...wanted my help cos i had a 26 inch barrelled L42A1 at the time and he wanted to try the longer barrel to see if it could get the bullet spinning adequately to stop it tumbling , never managed subsonic but got it stable at about 1300fps with a 180 grain bullet ... just over half the normal velocity of 147grn radway.

It's all about twist rate, barrel length is not important as you're trying to keep velocity below 1070fps anyway. Lapua make a 200grn subsonic 308 that is reputed to be excellent, but no use to me, I only load low velocity so that I can use cheap cast bullets for practice, instead of the expensive Sierra or Hornadys.

L42A1 is a nice rifle, worth a few quid now, I know of one for sale if you want to get back into it.
1 November 2013, 23:18,
the heavy bullet was the problem...the lands weren't picking up the bullet and getting it spinning adequately in his 20 inch barrel at such low muzzle velocity mine was quite a bit better but a lighter bullet was the way to go , much less inertia to overcome getting it to start its spin.