Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny oil bill
12 November 2013, 18:40,
Funny oil bill
In big letters on our domestic heating oil bill was written this, "This fuel is not to be used as road fuel" I wonder what they mean?.
Failure is NOT an option
12 November 2013, 19:19,
RE: Funny oil bill
(12 November 2013, 18:40)uks Wrote: In big letters on our domestic heating oil bill was written this, "This fuel is not to be used as road fuel" I wonder what they mean?
yes, we have also fuel oil differentiated as heating oil, agriculture machinery fuel oil and the "usual" automotive diesel. essentially all the same diesel, but it is excise tax for the automotive diesel fuel added. and the home heating oil is excise tax free, same with agriculture machinery fuel oils for farmers.

for that purposes the heating oil and the agricultural oil are dyed with the special agents to be recognized by customs and police officers.
some "smart" guys tried to bleach the heating oil in the glass jars on the sun light, but the custom and police officers checking the diesel with the special chemicals for reaction, not just for the colour of liquid.
12 November 2013, 19:42,
It's the first time it's been on a bill. That we have had.
Failure is NOT an option
12 November 2013, 19:46,
It just means when we find lots of home heating fuel after an event we know it can be used for other things.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 November 2013, 21:13,
Its nice of them to confirm to us that it can be used for other purposes,... only if some extreme emergency happens of course
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 November 2013, 23:04,
Heating oil generally (you can get different grades) is pretty poor at lubricating, and diesel is used as a lubricant in fuel pumps. I would not run a common rail engine on heating oil, but an older diesel should have no problems as long as you add a lubricant to the heating oil, heard veg oil at 20:1 does the trick (the veg oil being the 1).

I can get fresh veg at around 88p/l - what is heating oil costing these days?

As for tanks being tested, your fuel will only be analysed if you fail a dip test and they see the dye I am informed.

If you are running on anything other than pump fuel, contact HMRC and tell them and ask what arrangements you need to make for paying duty.

Post SHTF, run on what you like. If you have a good diesel engine it will run on a lot of things. Look into making fuel too - you can clean and refine many things, from the well known used chip oil to sump, gearbox and diff oil and it is not difficult if you know what you are going. Easy backyard chemistry.
13 November 2013, 10:04,
(12 November 2013, 23:04)BDG Wrote: I can get fresh veg at around 88p/l - what is heating oil costing these days?

Where do you get your veg oil for that? It is over £1/l here.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 November 2013, 10:32,
Macro / Costco et al. Cheaper too when offers are on. Normally KTC brand, I think it is GM but my Hilux never complained.
13 November 2013, 20:18,
Heating oil is about 62-65p a ltr at the moment,.. but its up and down almost on a daily basis
A major part of survival is invisibility.
15 November 2013, 14:18,
Dock yards and moorings for narrowboats, check out their diesel prices. Dyed green (IIRC) so you *shouldn't* top your car up with it, but it's cheap!

Cherry is only 85p round my way, but I'll check out the marina next week and see what they have to offer.