Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple money saving water cache
16 November 2013, 11:21,
Simple money saving water cache
Every time you flush the toilet you are flushing it with drinking water.

Please note never to drink from the bowl!

But the point I'm making isn't that.

When I was a kid, I remember people speaking about putting a brick in the tank so that their toilet flushed with less water. It still flushed perfectly well, but it used less water.

The problem is that bricks can break down over the years and damage the toilet system. Personally, I'd much prefer to fill a bottle or 2 with water, and sink them into the tank above your toilet.

Not only will you have a fill of water stocked and ready for use, but you'll also be using less water each time you flush, which will save you money on your water bill.

Alternatively you could use this same idea to start storing water secretly. You could gently sink an empty bottle into the tank, then once it's full, cap it. Next time you flush, take the bottle out and resink another empty bottle, then fill it and take it out when you flush. You'll secretly be filling bottles without TPTB noticing. But really, who the hell is going to do that? Just fill a 2 little plastic bottle and sink that. That'll do the job, be a small cache, and save money.

Enjoy.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 November 2013, 12:56,
RE: Simple money saving water cache
some good ideas there we are luck in the fact the we are not on a water meter so at least we don't have to worry about the cost of refilling and rotating the water bottle stocks
18 November 2013, 12:06,
Bear in mind that Stasi regulations mean all new toilets have reduced volume flushes anyway with a defined number of litres per flush. Doing this on a modern system means that No 2s may not get flushed away. In older systems the brick method works fine and I've never noticed any damage caused by the breakdown of bricks.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 November 2013, 17:26,
(16 November 2013, 11:21)Scythe13 Wrote: Every time you flush the toilet you are flushing it with drinking water.

Please note never to drink from the bowl!

But the point I'm making isn't that.

When I was a kid, I remember people speaking about putting a brick in the tank so that their toilet flushed with less water. It still flushed perfectly well, but it used less water.

The problem is that bricks can break down over the years and damage the toilet system. Personally, I'd much prefer to fill a bottle or 2 with water, and sink them into the tank above your toilet.

Not only will you have a fill of water stocked and ready for use, but you'll also be using less water each time you flush, which will save you money on your water bill.

Alternatively you could use this same idea to start storing water secretly. You could gently sink an empty bottle into the tank, then once it's full, cap it. Next time you flush, take the bottle out and resink another empty bottle, then fill it and take it out when you flush. You'll secretly be filling bottles without TPTB noticing. But really, who the hell is going to do that? Just fill a 2 little plastic bottle and sink that. That'll do the job, be a small cache, and save money.

Enjoy.

Lol i keep forgetting you guys have to pay for water usage Big Grin
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
19 November 2013, 11:46,
My alcoholic father in law used to do this and I thought he was just being devious with his vodka stash ... turn's out he was an environmentalist all along....feel really guilty now! not lol
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!