Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bushcraft warm clothing
23 November 2013, 01:05,
Bushcraft warm clothing
This is a nice quick post with some practical advice.

If the weather is starting to turn and you need to keep dry and warm, here's a quick little trick.

If you have multiple layers, you can tuck your trousers (or waterproof trousers) into your socks, then stuff a load of dry leaf matter between your inner base layer, and your outer layer, e.g. trousers or waterproof trousers. This will make you look a bit odd, but help insulate your body.

Next up, do the same thing with your upper layers. You can tuck your jacket/jumper, into your trousers, and then fill in the layers with extra, dry leaf matter,dried out ferns, and the alike.

These extra 'fillers' will act like down and help keep you nice and warm. Think of it as a nice way to maintain more warmth while spending less money.

Okay you'll look like the marshmallow guy from Ghostbusters, all rotund and bulging, but the added warmth is well worth it.

If I had an option between freezing and looking a little odd, I'd opt for the warmer option.

Enjoy.

p.s. may homeless people use a similar technique with scrunched up newspaper for added warmth and insulation. Just some extra info for the urban bushcrafter.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 November 2013, 16:18,
RE: Bushcraft warm clothing
Around here our homeless go to the free clothing center and get fitted out very well for free!

Down town panhandlers look as if they just stepped out of the Abercrombie and Fitch catalogue.
23 November 2013, 18:27,
Another use for bubble wrap maybe, and if you are feeling stressed 'cus you are cold you could pop a few bubbles!
23 November 2013, 18:48,
get some bloomin long johns Scythe!!Big Grin newspaper and bubble wrap down your trousers? what the heck are you coming up with next??Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 November 2013, 20:58,
(23 November 2013, 18:48)bigpaul Wrote: get some bloomin long johns Scythe!!Big Grin newspaper and bubble wrap down your trousers? what the heck are you coming up with next??Tongue

Technically I'm still in shorts mate haha. I think I'll be changing to full trousers in a week or 2's time.

It's just an extra tip for people, in case they get lost and the temp drops, or they're caught unawares, which can happen to all of us.
24 November 2013, 10:51,
(23 November 2013, 20:58)Scythe13 Wrote:
(23 November 2013, 18:48)bigpaul Wrote: get some bloomin long johns Scythe!!Big Grin newspaper and bubble wrap down your trousers? what the heck are you coming up with next??Tongue

Technically I'm still in shorts mate haha. I think I'll be changing to full trousers in a week or 2's time.

hard frost the last 2 days!!I've just walked the dog, hoodie with a bodywarmer on top, leather hat and gloves....even the dog's got her coat on!!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 November 2013, 15:30,
I walked the dogs this morning at -1 degrees. Trousers was too much. I am back in shorts again. Come lunch time I was sweating like a beast. Not good. I might get some of those cut off trousers, full length for the morning, then undo the zips for lunch, and back to full length for late evening.
24 November 2013, 15:31,
i love those trousers with the zip off legs they are great.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
24 November 2013, 15:37,
sounds a bit pervy to me!!!Big GrinBig Grin
24 November 2013, 19:42,
Hi just reading some of your posts

I ride my motorcycle all year round and thermal / base layers are very important in keeping the cold out, as you all know motorcycle gear can be dear, go to aldi or lidla they have some great gear this time of year

Snakey