Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different Baikal shotguns??
25 November 2013, 22:27,
Different Baikal shotguns??
I see you fellows referencing the "cheap Baikal shotguns" and I often wonder if you are getting a better deal on them that we do over here.

Their single shots run about par for all singles over here ($125), and they make a pump that sits in the low priced bracket ($250-$300), but once one passes to the O/U doubles they enter the mid priced category hovering between $400-$700 U.S.

While that is not equal to the thousands of dollars a top line double would cost (and I am not going to pay) it is still a healthy price.

The used gun market is almost zero over here, unless one is swapping between friends. Everyone is hanging onto everything they have and buying more, so we never see them on the used gun shelves at anything resembling a bargain.
25 November 2013, 23:35,
RE: Different Baikal shotguns??
Mine is a mid to late 70's side by side 27&1'4 inch barrels fixed choke 3/4 & 1/2 double triggers....straight hand stock...I think its a model 43...paid £50 for it from a guy giving up shooting he had 5 shotguns for sale an over under which was already gone 3 side by sides of which I had the best one(in my opinion)and a .410 bolt action the side by sides were £50 each and the .410 he gave away...I didn't want it......new Baikal singles £100-£130......side by sides £300-£400....over under£480-£540
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 November 2013, 08:59,
I've been recently looking at these on gun sales websites. Pre-owned, they're going from £25 (roughly $40) onwards. However these are spread right across the country so when you take into account travelling to/from the location, it could be upto £100 and a full day travelling. Obviously if you're willing to chance buying a gun blind then the couriour charge to your nearest Firearms Dealer would be a lot less.
26 November 2013, 10:32,
Economics at it's simplest. Supply and Demand. Due to our gun laws and travel costs we don't have as many people going for 2nd hand guns when a new one is not that much more. So the cheap ones are practically given away because there are few who want them.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 November 2013, 19:31,
Every time I've wanted a specific gun I've had to travel for it.The furthest was a drive to Wales (I'm in Durham),baikal's seem to be one of the few makes that are pretty abundant in the north east.Most of the guns I'm interested in are always down south,and I would never buy one without checking it over first.
26 November 2013, 20:03, (This post was last modified: 26 November 2013, 20:05 by Midnitemo.)
i carry my certificate with me wherever i go just incase i see something i really must have...also carry a fold up gun slip just in case...when you've paid peanuts for a gun you don't want to push your luck asking for em to give you a slip too! Big Grin

very nearly bought a greener gp police model 25.5 inch barrel and two chokes!!!! gorgeous looking gun and it took a supreme act of restraint not to buy it.
29 November 2013, 20:21,
I've never seen a police GP with a multi choke,did it have the full length police stock?.I've had two Greener GP's.A multi choke and the standard GP with a 26 inch barrel.Sold both to make room in the cabinet and bitterly regret itSad

Next year I hope to pick up another standard MK1 ,the multi choke was nice but the handling wasn't as sweet as the fixed choke version.They're beautiful guns (to my eyes) and are built like tanks.Arguably the finest mass produced single shot shotguns ever made.I should never have sold mine.
29 November 2013, 20:52, (This post was last modified: 29 November 2013, 20:54 by Midnitemo.)
the chokes are full and improved , they look like flash hider/vent and are external , the one not in use screws into the forend making the gun look a bit like an autoloader...tis a thing of great beauty with really tidy woodwork and bluing probably 9/10 condition.....if it was nearby i'd have gone back and bought it by now am kicking myself for not buying it when i saw it.

no it wasn't a stutzen type stock and not one of those weird egyptian ones...
29 November 2013, 21:16,
Ah right,a standard multi choke GP.They're pretty thin on the ground these days and the ones for sale are normally going for silly money.I got mine for the very reasonable price of £250,but I've seen them for sale for as much as £600.The colour case hardened ones are gorgeous and if you're lucky you can snag one for around the £300 mark.
Paul Edwards usually has a few GP's for sale.he's in Wales though and that's where I bought my multi choke.Highly recommended guns.I really REALLY regret selling both of mine.
When you buy one go for the Mk1 with locking screws,the MK2 used circlips and is considered a weaker version.The Mk1's are true Greeners.The Mk2 was made by Webley.
29 November 2013, 22:39,
Am of down that way next Friday am going to pop in and if its still there then it shall be mine.