Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1kw wind turbine project
10 December 2013, 09:02, (This post was last modified: 10 December 2013, 09:20 by Highlander.)
RE: 1kw wind turbine project
(9 December 2013, 22:25)Timelord Wrote: Overall cost?

TL,... round it off to £3000

(9 December 2013, 23:04)Nix Wrote: Excellent stuff! [Image: thumbsup.gif]

Not sure why you have the isolation switch for the grid though? Surely you feed the batteries and then dump to the hot water via the inverter so where's the connection to the grid?

The other thing you may want to consider is a further dump when the hot water is at it's max and trips out. Unlike solar, turbines need a dump unless you have control over the turbine fan speed eg braking system?

Looks a really good job there and I'm jealous! Can't put mine up cos of neighbour proximity. Dodgy

Sorry I didnt explain well,.. If we had a power cut, and we turned onto battery power,... there would always be a chance that the person fixing the grid power down the road would get a shock from the power we were producing from our turbine,...so by law there must be a way of turning the mains power off before you use any other sort of power, be it Wind, solar or generator

(10 December 2013, 02:02)Bulletscott Wrote: Living the dream, I would love to live off the grid in a small holding and undertake projects such as this, instead I'm in this urban prison.

Well done though mate looks great!

We do not live off grid all the time,... maybe this is also what you mean Nix,.... The batterys are there for two reasons, to give us power during a power cut, and to use the dump to help with the hot water.

We are on mains power just like everyone else aided by our 3.5 solar power, but come 6pm every night, we switch over from the mains power to the battery's [ provided we have enough wind and full battery's of course,.. when we go to bed we switch back to mains power

We have four freezers, these are on timers, so that they go off from 6pm to midnight,.. from 6pm the batterys give us enough power for a few lights, the fridge, central heating pump, the telly and the computer

(9 December 2013, 23:04)Nix Wrote: The other thing you may want to consider is a further dump when the hot water is at it's max and trips out. Unlike solar, turbines need a dump unless you have control over the turbine fan speed eg braking system?

This is of interest to us,.. we did think hard about the dump, clearly we didn't want to waste power so thought that the dump to the hot water was best, we then wondered about what happens when the fire [ which also does the hot water ] reaches the thermostat temp and cuts out, what happens to the dump then

We were told by `Future Energy` the people we bought the system off,...that a 48v dump wouldn't generate a great deal, and not to worry about that,.. we were never quiet sure about that answer

I didn't know that you can have two dumps, so thank's for that we will look into that, any other info you have there would be very welcome

Nix,.. we know that you can get hot water tanks that have two thermostats holes, so in this case one would be for the fire central heating, and the other for the dump,.. then its possible to lower the thermostat from the fire a bit, and the other thermostat from the dump to continue heating,.. it would never reach extreme temps,..this maybe the better way forward
A major part of survival is invisibility.

Messages In This Thread
1kw wind turbine project - by Highlander - 9 December 2013, 17:44
RE: 1kw wind turbine project - by Spandex228 - 9 December 2013, 17:58
RE: 1kw wind turbine project - by Timelord - 9 December 2013, 22:25
RE: 1kw wind turbine project - by Nix - 9 December 2013, 23:04
RE: 1kw wind turbine project - by Bulletscott - 10 December 2013, 02:02
RE: 1kw wind turbine project - by Highlander - 10 December 2013, 09:02
RE: 1kw wind turbine project - by Tigs - 10 December 2013, 11:18
RE: 1kw wind turbine project - by Nix - 10 December 2013, 11:31
RE: 1kw wind turbine project - by Highlander - 10 December 2013, 21:20
RE: 1kw wind turbine project - by Nix - 11 December 2013, 00:29
RE: 1kw wind turbine project - by Highlander - 11 December 2013, 09:11