Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Term Emergency Food Storage
11 November 2011, 13:13,
RE: Long Term Emergency Food Storage
There is no life without food, water and air. They all are important in our life and among them food is the most important. Fruits, vegetables, cereals etc all are included in food. There are some foods that can't be kept for storage but mostly there are many fruits that can be kept in storage for long time. This helps us in any situation like food scarcity etc. So its good by keep in storage.
Rashmi Kamani
11 November 2011, 13:44,
rashmi kamani,
Without wishing to split hairs I think the order of importance to life from your list is 1)Air, 2)Water, 3)Food.
Air - in normal circumstances its a few minutes before death, Water its days and food its weeks.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
12 November 2011, 11:26,
the rule of 3, air 3 minutes water 3 days and 3 weeks for food
to win the war, you must be willing to die
9 January 2012, 23:56,
Hi sc1

This is my first post (not having much luck getting registered at the moment) and your question is probably the same as a lot of us starting out. I'm of the view "stock up on the basics", but I hate the though of any waste. I would like to know how am I suppossed to rotate my stock if I've got to store enough food for the rest of my family ?
I'm prepared to sit on say £1000 worth of rice etc and hope the worst never happens + enough food for my household needs for a year or so is fine, but how can I cover for those loved ones/ sheeple in my life ?

Survival ( Bobby)
9 January 2012, 23:59,
get them to prep if not have a buffer zone of stuff if you love them that much after that they need to wake up fast
to win the war, you must be willing to die
10 January 2012, 15:10,
Bobby,

You don't do it that way.

At the moment you may go through 10 tins a week of soup. All you do is instead of buying 10 tins you buy 12 but you continue to do so until you have your desored amounts worth in the cupboard. Then you stop buying extra but simply replace the ones you use. Do that with everything and that is the core of prepping.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 January 2012, 15:27,
(10 January 2012, 15:10)Skean Dhude Wrote: Bobby,

You don't do it that way.

At the moment you may go through 10 tins a week of soup. All you do is instead of buying 10 tins you buy 12 but you continue to do so until you have your desored amounts worth in the cupboard. Then you stop buying extra but simply replace the ones you use. Do that with everything and that is the core of prepping.

yes, this is what we did, we only started actually stocking extra food when we moved house 2 years ago, now our food stores are at their limit(cant get any more in!) so now we just replace what we use. just remember dont buy stuff just because its cheap, "store what you eat, eat what you store"-works for meTongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 January 2012, 22:36,
Started doing this myself. Got a reasonable quantity of canned foods (assorted veg, fruits, rice pudding and soups, stew) of the "own brand basics" line. I bought 5 or so each of the stuff I knew I liked. Now Ive tried everything I know what I dont mind eating Im going to do a "big shop" that siad, the big shop if only going to be £50 worth of the same own brand stuff. I will then just cycle through and eat as per usual and top up what I use every week for next to nothing.

Other than tinned food, has anyone tried any of the 25 year long term foor storage?
The only brands I could find easily in the UK were Mountain House and Wiseman. Though I'd prefer the Wiseman stuff since you dont have to open an entire #10 can to take what you need. As Im sure people have found with so many things in the US, you end up paying more for the postage than the value of the items. Both brands do a "one month supply" for about £130-150. Though depending on brand that might mean ONE MEAL per day or a meal and a breakfast. It isnt supposed to be a full days food.

Ive looked at MREs as well. But again even on ebay or auction sites you are looing at £10 per "day". Though in this case it IS a meal, and you get a days worth of food calorie wise and assorted other stuff, like moist toilette or chewing gums etc.
18 January 2012, 22:40,
Mountain house is way to expensive for me, and MRes not to my liking but I do like Compo Rations and occasionally I can pick up a few 24 hour boxes for about a fiver each. But most of my stuff is tinned or dried.

18 January 2012, 22:52,
I porked my way through some British MREs a work friends dad brough back from Afghanistan. Oxtail soup, some sort of lumpy fruit dessert. I Think i still have a load of the boiled sweets. It wasnt too bad, though my main concern with the fried stuff is then worrying about the water needed to rehydrate it all.