Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eyewitness ccount during a real world catastrophe.
22 December 2013, 15:19,
eyewitness ccount during a real world catastrophe.
an account of the events during hurricane Rita: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoIMcwH_nXk
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 December 2013, 09:04,
RE: eyewitness ccount during a real world catastrophe.
Be wary of prepper videos from the U.S.

This is a big country and maineprepper is as far away from the site of hurricanes Katrina and Rita as London is from Moscow, both by distance and culture.

This guy is suddenly all over the internet with "eyewitness accounts" of incidents that happened in places separated by thousands of miles. If you listen carefully, in many of his scenarios, he never says he was actually there, it was a friend, or he heard, or the knowledge was brought to him on the mist.
23 December 2013, 09:40,
just thought his account of the "evacuation" was interesting.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 December 2013, 11:01,
I don't care if the guy was never there, he is giving an account of sheeple panicking and evacuating along the highways and all the problems that brings. I thought the information was interesting no matter where it comes from. I suppose its a bit like some scot giving an account of the floods in Boscastle given by a third person who was actually there, the info is still info no matter who is giving it.
23 December 2013, 11:37,
(23 December 2013, 11:01)bigpaul Wrote: I suppose its a bit like some scot giving an account of the floods in Boscastle given by a third person who was actually there, the info is still info no matter who is giving it.

Not much different to listening the news / reading the newspapers is it?

I think Hurricane Rita has come to visit Bude today! Brutal outside here. I had a dumpy bag with a few logs of wood in there - bloody thing's completely vanished!! I wanted that too...
23 December 2013, 11:44,
high winds and heavy rain as we speak, stuff blowing around in the yard. wife's gone to have lunch with her sister-26 mile round trip- personally I think she's nuts I'm not even taking the dog out in this, maybe when it passes over a bit. anyway I think the video was interesting, talking about the highways grinding to a halt and becoming a giant car park and everyone getting disentry from pooing in the hedges!!Angel
23 December 2013, 11:55,
(23 December 2013, 11:01)bigpaul Wrote: I don't care if the guy was never there, he is giving an account of sheeple panicking and evacuating along the highways and all the problems that brings. I thought the information was interesting no matter where it comes from. I suppose its a bit like some scot giving an account of the floods in Boscastle given by a third person who was actually there, the info is still info no matter who is giving it.

You should care.

He is giving a story tempered by his viewpoint and as such is not actually factual. This gives you a false view of what happened and cause you to miss something important that you would pick up by someone who was actually there.

It is no different from the news. Factual info tainted by bias.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 December 2013, 12:03, (This post was last modified: 23 December 2013, 12:06 by bigpaul.)
the bit about the evacuees flooding out along the highway and it grinding to a halt and being a giant car park is something very similar to what NR said a long time ago. I don't care where I get my info from, I use a lot of sources for my news and general info, a lot of the stuff on youtube is bollox but some of it isn't, you just have to sort the wheat from the chaff, problem is there seems to be an anti American bias on uk forums these days and so a lot of good info is dismissed as just "more American bs" and not relevant to the british prepping scene, a lot of this stuff is universal we just have to alter it to suit the british situation.

I've posted these in other places and got a completely different response.
23 December 2013, 12:40,
Anyone that implied that evacuees flooding the highway would go smoothly would be laughed at. Everyone even the BBC show that.

I too don't care where I get my info from but I prefer it from the source rather than fed through a bias filter no matter how gentle it was.

That is the problem, most of us, including myself can't tell the difference between wheat and chaff. That is why I like the raw data and then I make up my own mind.

Some people are Anti-American. Most however are Anti-US Government and they can't separate the people from the Gov. You can tell who is though and you must use that when analysing their input as I agree much of their input is relevant.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 December 2013, 12:46,
oh well, I suppose its different strokes for different folks! I thought it had some relevant information but I see I was misinformed. subject closed.