Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basement ideas?
5 January 2014, 14:44,
RE: Basement ideas?
Sounds to me like your caching and heads down issue is resolved. Just make sure the entrance is concealed and that the place is damp proof.

I would love somewhere like that.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 January 2014, 15:10,
Make sure its not in a Radon gas area.

5 January 2014, 15:33,
Yes. I once lost my trousers to radon gas! Till it evaporated off over the weekend. Confused
5 January 2014, 16:20,
If its sturdy enough i'd go down another 12-18 inches then get it tanked and vented.....voila secret storage/panic room/ huge cistern....some great options there
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
5 January 2014, 20:48,
I would not make an outside entrance, but make a larger inside entrance, and hide it the best I could.

.....although only 5 ft high,.. [ many houses in the UK have limited height basements MB ],..it wouldn't matter too much to me,...if its dry, then fine, it makes a great storage area,... if its damp, it still make a good storage area, just make sure your stores are in good damp proof containers

One thing I would buy, would be a set of castor wheels the type they move the likes of freezers with, then anything heavy is easily moved, bending in a 5 ft gap with a heavy box will not do your back a lot of good

Its a big space, it would be easy to build false walls around the sides to hide your stores

The most important thing would be to try if possible to hide the fact that the basement is there at all,... from the outsider looking at the house,... may be not such an easy thing to do,... but I wish I had such a space
A major part of survival is invisibility.