Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TEOTWAWKI further down the track.
30 December 2013, 19:18,
RE: TEOTWAWKI further down the track.
I agree with John .
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 December 2013, 19:19,
I'm not anticipating a lifestyle that bares any resemblance to my current one after the shit hits....the entrepreneurs I alluded to won't be making dvd players and gaming consoles but much more necessary wares ... man will not roll over meekly, some men will rise to the occasion(and Women before RS gets me)
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
30 December 2013, 19:25,
again, depends on the severity, or not, of the event.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 December 2013, 22:19,
This is a very interesting debate. In my opinion we cant know whether there will be any return to anywhere near the technologies of today or not, it all depends on the event, the severity and who survives so im learning as much as i can for any eventuality.
30 December 2013, 22:33,
That's an interesting thought DZ.

What technology will survive?

In theory, you could still keep running a computer as long as you had a power supply. It would be possible to rig up a pedal bike and then work a dynamo to charge a laptop battery, then just use it for an hour a day. The laptop would last as long as the battery could.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 December 2013, 23:08,
Maybe not so much `what technology will survive`,.. its how many men with the knowledge survive,... it would be of little use if you had certain technology sitting there if no-one who knows how to use it was around.

There may be a power station there, how many people here knows how to crank one of those up,.... there may be very valuable medical equipment in the old hospital, but unless you are a trained doctor how do you use it

It is the human mind that is the important piece to this situation, us humans can build and make if we have the knowledge to do so, knowledge is what makes us different from men from different ages
A major part of survival is invisibility.
30 December 2013, 23:33,
S13, yes you could run a computer, but what if it breaks? And surely the energy and time you used peddeling the bike could be used better for other things. And HL i agree. Take cars for example. There will be many around after an TSHTF but what happens when theres no more fuel or parts and they stop working. Could you make a car and the fuel to run it? Many years after we may be back close to where we are now, we also may never get back here, there are too many unknowns to know for sure, so we prepare as best we can and hope its enough.
31 December 2013, 00:03,
I agree with everyone! and no one!

There are far too many different possibilities for TEOTWAWKI and a thousand different perceptions of its effects for any useful conclusion without a more focused definition of the type of TEOTWAWKI being suggested. Otherwise there are counter comments and counter counter comments and oblique differential arguments with further alternatives to these - and it just goes on, while in reality each individuals perception could well be valid in what they perceive to be the discussion.

The world is full of different perceptions for the same few words.

Regards & a happy further new year, TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
31 December 2013, 09:06,
(30 December 2013, 23:33)Danzord Wrote: S13, yes you could run a computer, but what if it breaks? And surely the energy and time you used peddeling the bike could be used better for other things. And HL i agree. Take cars for example. There will be many around after an TSHTF but what happens when theres no more fuel or parts and they stop working. Could you make a car and the fuel to run it? Many years after we may be back close to where we are now, we also may never get back here, there are too many unknowns to know for sure, so we prepare as best we can and hope its enough.

@the first half, I was only using a computer as an example. And there are many other uses of that energy that I'd rather opt for (my wife is stunning, so I can think of many uses of lots of energy!!! haha) but the fact of the matter remains, the simple basic principle is there, all being well, you could have a working computer post SHTF. Uses of that computer...Educational DVD's and programs to teach you to rebuild society/batteries/farming/medical/generators/who-knows-what-else, mechanical vehicle maintenance, access to the files you've not printed out, etc.

As for the second part, you can use wood-gas to run a car, and I know I can produce wood-gas. So making it wouldn't be in issue. After a little trial and error, getting it into the engine block shouldn't be too much trouble either.

About the vehicle maintenance stuff, I'm going to be spending time at a few garages in the area to learn to change parts, maintain what's there, and trouble-shoot most issues, as well as diagnose the problem in the first place.

The skills we can guarantee that stay alive after TSHTF are those we have internalised fully.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
31 December 2013, 11:09,
learn how to maintain an OLD car Scythe, one that dosent have a computer in it that need a diagnostic set up to find just whats wrong with it!!Big Grin