Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What filters do you use?
5 January 2014, 09:04,
What filters do you use?
I was wondering what filters you use in your berkefeld?
Failure is NOT an option
5 January 2014, 10:44,
RE: What filters do you use?
When it arrives, a Millbank bag! Up till now an MSR Miniworks filter then chemical treatment. For first filtration when not travelling light I have a plastic bucket with a grommeted hole in the base through which I push a nozzle from a silicon cartridge tube that is pushed into a water filter cartridge. The bucket is filled with water that passes through the filter from the sides and out through the center via the nozzle and into a container underneath. I hope that makes sense.
Although effective it is bulky which is why I have ordered the Millbank bag. I like to pre-filter the water before putting it through the Miniworks so as to prolong the life of the expensive MSR filter element.
5 January 2014, 11:22,
10" Supersterasyl - from avonsoft

5 January 2014, 11:27,
a Berkefield set up is far to expensive for my kind of income to warrant the outlay, i'll be relying on LifeSaver bottles, LifeStraws(and similar...other types are available) and by boiling.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 January 2014, 11:44,
A bit of creativity can save a lot of money. The bucket set up I've tried to describe above was absolutely free, just made up of scrap and unused parts. Works a treat but not suitable for backpacking.
5 January 2014, 13:05,
Supersterasyl ATC.
5 January 2014, 14:57,
BM, I read that the throughput of the Supersterasyl ATC is upto 20 L per day which works out at about 830ml per hour. Do you find this fast enough? I guess that for one person in a static location it would be sufficient if working more or less continuously, but seems a little slow even for one person on the move. How do you use it, or envisage using it?
5 January 2014, 15:06, (This post was last modified: 5 January 2014, 15:08 by NorthernRaider.)
DL most berkfields use 2 or 4 candles at once, the beauty of em is in our house that we fill the upper tank and night and again in the morning, it more than meets our daily needs.

Berkfields are not designed for mobile use cept in say a motorhome.

5 January 2014, 15:13,
Ah, I see. It looked from the pic that it was an in-line type filter that you would hang up with a bottle plumbed in above and below. Back to the Millbank I reckon!
5 January 2014, 16:02, (This post was last modified: 5 January 2014, 16:08 by Midnitemo.)
After a discussion on my millbank bag thread i'm looking into getting my friendly model engineer work mate to build me a scaled down single 7 inch candle berky...am now looking out for some pans of the right dimension that he can modify...anybody see's anything they think might be ripe to modify give me a shout Idea

couple of millbanks feeding a berky has got to be the way to go for longevity.

basic candles are a tenner with a year long expected lifecycle an will filter 4 gallons a day easy...couple of stainless buckets one drilled for the candle....you're in for about £30 mate
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!