Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
By the Sea?
6 January 2014, 15:53,
RE: By the Sea?
you can tell when your in Cornwall, all the trees are bent in the same direction!!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 January 2014, 16:34,
(6 January 2014, 15:19)Skean Dhude Wrote: BM,

I've heard it can get windy down there. Have you noticed any winds?

Smile

SD

I can't say I've noticed before, but now you mention it, it is a little windy today Big Grin
6 January 2014, 16:45,
I worked in Redcar once and it was windy every day after I arrived. About a month in I needed to get a taxi and it was particularly gusty when I got in I asked the driver was it always this windy. He said 'What Wind?'

I think it may be OK for wind power but I wouldn't trust a small turbine in those winds. I'd either have to live in a cove or further inland.

A cove would be nice. Keep the batboat in the bay there, buildings in the shelter, wind turbines on top but farming would be difficult. Bees would get blown away, seeds would end up in the next county. You would need to farm somewhere else unless it was a big cove or series of coves.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 January 2014, 22:33,
So what kinds of distances are people thinking? What about near (a few miles) to the mouth of a river, just where it opens out into the sea?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 January 2014, 22:38,
I would like to be within walking distance, no more than 4 miles that would do me.Wink

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
6 January 2014, 22:42,
I think the higher you are above the highest recorded flood level the nearer to the sea you could live, I mean after all you could live 20 miles inland in a river delta and still get wiped out by a bad spring tide, but if your house is atop a 100 foot cliff by the sea the only thing likely to wipe you out would be the tsunami caused when Gran Canaria lets go.

Some folks flooded on the Somerset levels are 15 miles inland but folks in higher village nearer the sea on the Quantocks are perfectly safe.

7 January 2014, 14:08, (This post was last modified: 7 January 2014, 14:48 by bigpaul.)
Muchelney on the levels is completely cut off(that's where The Scythe Fair is held) and people can only get in or out by boat.

where I live is 25 miles inland and 300ft above sea level.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 January 2014, 19:50,
(7 January 2014, 14:08)bigpaul Wrote: Muchelney on the levels is completely cut off(that's where The Scythe Fair is held) and people can only get in or out by boat.

You read that right. There is a fair to celebrate me, every year!!! haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 January 2014, 10:58,
the whole of the Somerset Levels is now a series of vast inland lakes, the water isn't going anywhere and more rain is forecast!!
8 January 2014, 14:06,
S13,

The fair is to celebrate the original. Not the 13th variant.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin