Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
old blackpowder guns
26 February 2014, 18:10,
RE: old blackpowder guns
I have seen 32-bore (.50 cal.) muzzleloaders, but 28-bore (.54 cal) and 24-bore (.58 cal) were more common in the small fowling pieces. The smaller bores were favored as being more frugal of powder and lead for sporting pieces in early America.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
26 February 2014, 19:37,
Mort posted a link for calibre adapters ... can we use/have/buy them in the uk? thinking of the 12 to 20g and the 12 to .410 specifically not the centrefire stuff.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 February 2014, 20:22,
I've been unable to find any suppliers in the UK so far.Though you can import them from the US from E Bay.I've got a 12 to 410 adapter saved to my watch list.Works out at 15 quid plus £2.28 postage.
I haven't ordered one yet but I can't see why it wouldn't clear customs.
26 February 2014, 22:20,
like to have definitive yes its legal before i commit to buying
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 February 2014, 23:22,
If you can have more than one shotgun on a SGC there is no reason you would be prohibited the adapter since they obviously do not care how many different gauges you own, as long as the ammo count is within the limits of the law.

Anyone that owns a lathe can turn a gauge adapter from cold rolled steel. I have made them on my Unimat jewelers lathe.
26 February 2014, 23:49, (This post was last modified: 26 February 2014, 23:59 by Steve.)
They are commonly made from aluminium alloy, usually anodized to make them look pretty and I guess to help prevent galling. I have seen them for sale "off ticket" on eBay. The Yanks, of course, have much better options - they can have rifled adapters to fire pistol and rifle cartridges.

I just had a look on UK eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Ga-to-410-G...1c27a8ec1f
27 February 2014, 01:42,
The rifled adapters are so inaccurate as to be useless, so do not envy us that option.

You might hit a man sized target at 15 feet but you will not put game in the pot with one.

I do use caliber reduction adaptors in my rifles and they do a fair job. I have adaptors for my .303, 7.62x54 ad 30-06 rifles that allow me to use any .32 caliber pistol round.

.32 is a common sock drawer caliber over here. Lots of women buy 32 autos for protection, stick them away with a box of shells and never touch them again. I have always anticipated them being a common cartridge to scrounge post event. Not wishing to invest in a 32 pistol I settled on the $20 adaptor.

I have used the adaptors that allow 20 gauge to be used in 12 bore guns and the choke even controls the shot column. One might wish to turn off the auto-ejectors when using them or you will be chasing some very expensive objects that just popped over your shoulder.
27 February 2014, 16:51,
I agree that the subcalibre adapters which enable use of 32 ACP or 32 S&W revolver cartridges in. 30 or. 303 rifles work well. I have old Marbles adapters which were.my grandather's for use in. 30-30 and .30-40 Krag rifles, which are common in the US. I also have modern-made adapters for the. 303 and 7.62x54R. Accuracy is quite acceptable, firing inch groups for 5 shots at 25 yards with iron sight. Good enough for small game.

With the increasing cost and spotty supply of. 22 LR amunition, I have obtained several. 32 ACP auto pistols and. 32 Long revolvers from estate sales, etc. I use these for the same purposes that my neighbors would use a .22 for, hunting small game for the pot, to kill pest animals and occasionaly to slaughter livestock. The. 32s are more effective than a 22LR on any game larger than a rabbit and these days, by casting your own bullets and loading your own amunition, they can be fired inexpensively.

I also have an Army & Navy Cooperative Society rook rifle, which I had relined to.use. 32 S&W Long ammuniion. While not inexpensive, it is a delightfully elegant farmer's companion and is legal to hunt with here. Quiet, accurate and effective, with less meat damage than high velocity .22 LR, so you can eat right up the bullet hole.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
27 February 2014, 17:06,
Our ammo shortage did not catch me asleep, but it did boost my concerns.

I have been reloading .32 caliber rounds for 30 years. .32acp, .32S&W, and the newer .32mag. although I do not presently own a 32 pistol I have owned several in the past and used them as you have referred, as a high power replacement for the .22. I had a nice long barreled H&R that made a good squirrel pistol many years back.

During the past year I also bought a set of bullet molds for the .22, and can now reload reduced power rounds in ,223. I went that direction rather than .22 Hornet or a "rook rifle" combination due to ease of supply and uniformity of equipment.

Last fall I almost completely eliminated my reliance on .22 for GP work around the homestead by obtaining a .357 barrel for one of my single shot rifles. I have enough .38 spl brass to last a dozen lifetimes. The SS rifle shooting that was a natural progression.

Being able to cast bullets in all the calibers one owns extends ones capabilities tremendously.

Over the border in KY we are not allowed to hunt most of the public lands with center-fire rifle rounds. They are reserved for rimfire and shotgun. I am sure post-event that would become one of those ignored rules.

My Lord, we are all over the place on this thread!
28 February 2014, 04:38, (This post was last modified: 28 February 2014, 04:48 by Talon.)
I received a reply from the E Bay seller (Shotgun adaptors) in the states regarding the adaptors.
He doesn't ship to the UK.I think I'll just turn one on the work's lathe.

Edit.I found two UK sites for the 12 to 410 but they aren't cheap.

http://www.thegunbox.co.uk/12-bore-410-a...5719f039d0

http://www.turnerrichards.co.uk/starting...-adaptors/

For the sake of £55 I'll pass and turn one out of EN8 bar stock.