Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Make your own sea salt
11 January 2014, 09:21,
Make your own sea salt
http://www.howtobaker.com/techniques/ins...ea-salt-2/

Will be trying this when I get down to the coast again.
Failure is NOT an option
11 January 2014, 11:53,
RE: Make your own sea salt
for anyone who's plans include total breakdown then the procurement of Salt and the ability to make it is of the highest importance, for if the world goes tits up it will run out.
12 January 2014, 06:16,
Five miles away from where I live is the Atlantic Ocean. There is a small village here, where they have salt pans carved in the rock. This is where the salt was evaporated, in the past, for the surrounding area. Kenneth Eames.
12 January 2014, 13:00,
Same here we have a road called "salthouse Road" where they did the same thing. All animals have a natural need to find salt it is essential to good health, and Fish & ChipsBig Grin
12 January 2014, 18:45,
this is one of the main reason I would love to get costal .... if only I had the funds
12 January 2014, 19:35,
Another useful post uks .
14 January 2014, 18:35,
Nice one uks, we are going to give that a blast.
We go to isle de Rhe most years and the furthest half the island is down to production of sea salt.
God, just thinking about that has me yearning to get back there!
14 January 2014, 18:57,
Long term survival requires much more than the little dab of salt most folks presume will suffice.

In the old days they had a standard formula.

One pig per person, per year.

20 pounds of salt per pig (for preservation)

X number of family members.

And that was just for the preservation of the pork supply and did not count brining solutions for fish and beef, cooking and seasoning.

Anticipate the need for 50 pounds per person, per year.

No, we do not use that much today because modern technology (freezing/refrigeration) and the "health industry" has attempted to eliminate salt from our diets with the resulting obesity due to carb/fat craving which is an attempt to replace the salt taken from our diets.

From the earliest times people at the subsistence level have risked their lives to procure adequate salt supplies.
14 January 2014, 20:01,
And best of all is that you can buy table salt in 12.5kg bags for about four quid! And of course it doesn't spoil, it might go hard but who cares.
Still be a very useful skill to make your own sea salt though.
14 January 2014, 22:10,
I am holding 56 kelo,s right now and adding all the time as MB points out preserving will take a fair bit but various other uses .....also malt vinigar got gallons of it ......both these items are dirt cheap in Aldi,s.