Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun cabinets
31 January 2014, 23:37,
Gun cabinets
Who's the best and cheapest company to get a gun cabinet from.
Ideally I want one that will hold up to five rifles plus do I need a separate safe for shells?
1 February 2014, 01:14, (This post was last modified: 1 February 2014, 01:19 by Timelord.)
RE: Gun cabinets
As for shells/cartridges, you do not need a separate cabinet for these unless they are section 1 slugs. For normal shot shells, then they do not need to be in the cabinet at all. In fact the Police recommend that they are not stored in the cabinet with the gun as if by some chance the gun is illegally accessed, then the ammo will not be available to scoop & run or worst yet, to load at the scene. The shells can be kept anywhere on your property that is environmentally, climatically and secure within reason & out of visual sight.
As for cabinets, I am no expert but the lower price end seem to be similar. An online or ebay search will give you the info. 2nd hand is cheaper without any excessive travel cost. The cabinets are pretty robust and 2nd hand is usually not that much different in condition from new. There are 2 key and 1 key versions. The cabinet needs to have 5 lever locks as a minimum I believe. Some shotgun length cabinets will not house Hi-capacity pump action shotguns without them being partially dismantled. Not all can be - so beware. Some cabinets are taller and are better all round for longer guns. Some have a shelf inside which is useful but also detracts from the overall gun storage space, so again, beware of this in relation to your intended use. Old safes can make excellent secure cabinets but they can be awkward all round for handling and floor joist loadings... lol.. TL.

Some bargains can come up on Gumtree as well.

Your post asks about shells but you say it is for up to 5 rifles??? Do you mean live rounds for the rifles??? If so, then you will need a lockable compartment within the gun cabinet or a separate ammo or similar safe type cabinet for the ammo and that will have to be securely fastened to the appropriate wall as too will the main gun cabinet.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
1 February 2014, 10:05,
TL,

He says rifles. He will require a separate cabinet for the ammo.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 February 2014, 01:28,
Megatron it all depends what you want to put in the cabinet as to how much...air rifles and shotguns only require one lock(no requirement for air rifles at all but i keep mine in with the shotguns) firearms require two locks and a seperate cabinet for ammunition/bolts some forces ask for this(bolts that is)and some don't , seen small shotgun cabinets for less than a hundred pounds...mine was described as 3 gun but it currently holds five as its layed down on the floor, an fac(firearms)one with 2 locks and described as 5 gun will be at least £150 and then you'd need an ammo cabinet , another £60 at least...brattonsound are nice but pricey.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
2 February 2014, 11:33,
It's for shotguns and rim fires. It was the ammo law that was confusing me. Going to order a five gun double lock tomorrow, the tall option as I don't want to have to dismantle any of them. Good advice though, thank you gents.